Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the Treg will tow 7700 lbs, but how much weight can be put in the back of this bad boy?

I am thinking of doing a landscaping project with some pretty heavy bags of rocks and want to know how many I can fit in on a given trip.

Oh yeah, I do not have the Air Ride feature, but I do have the 18's as it is a V8.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Look at your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating... which should be around 6500 pounds.

Now, if your vehicle weighs about 5200 pounds, that means you can load about 1300 pounds of stuff in your T. Now, out of that 1300 pounds, that includes you while you're in the car.

The information is located on the tag stuck inside the driver's side front door. It will tell you what your GVWR is. It will also tell you the weight of the vehicle. Take the GVWR, subtract the weight of the vehicle, then you'll have the load rating that you can add to your T.

I hope I didn't confuse you... because it's really not that difficult.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why would it be best to rent a small truck or trailer when I want to put 20 x 40 lbs bags of landscaping rock in the back of my Treg? Isnt the reason we bought our TRUCK to haul stuff around in it? And why cant I just put down some plastic to protect the carpet while I haul these rocks?

Didnt everyone buy their Treg to haul stuff around in? I know I did. I have already use it for many household chores and have transported many things already from my local landscaping nursery.

Anyway, thank you all for the answer to my original question. I know now that I can put 800 lbs of rocks in the back of the treg and it will haul it just fine.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't forget your back: sure, the Touareg will haul it, but I wouldn't fancy pushing the bags all the way in the back then dragging them forward. If they're on a plastic sheet, though, at least you won't have to reach in to pull them out. It's not like you can stand up in the back of the car and move things around: it's awkward and that's what will hurt your back, not the weight.

Anyway, I agree with you: this is part of what the truck is for.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a good idea about the plywood. And then use automotive grey carpeting and cover the tope and sides. That would be really handy and wouldn't take up much room in the garage. The platform above the spare isn't that wide, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hauling stuff

I agree with you. I bought the vehicle to haul stuff around and use it like a truck. Yes, it will get some scratches and no, it will not smell new forever. I haul mulch, plants, all kinds of sport stuff (including gasoline), and much, much, more. Kayaks and bikes, trailers, a cargo hauler on the back ... and who knows what else is to come. Oh, I forgot but I also wash it a couple of times a year whether it needs it or not. Seriously, it still looks great after you clean it up but don't hesitate to use it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.