Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a grinding noise on my T1 V6 Touareg.
I can't find the cause, we already tried to put the car in the air and engage drive ,but the TC kicks in and we cannot discover the problem.
It is like wear breaking pads against the rotors .
We have changed already brake pads, wheel bearings.
The grinding keeps even if we put it in Neutral.
All oil levels are ok, no metal on the oil etc.
It sounds like a dry bearing and it is getting worst.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,081 Posts
A member on here recently had a weird noise like that. They said they found that one of the springs on the emergency brakes had broken and was scraping. They had to put it on a lift and remove the wheels to se it I believe.

Thread >>> Squealing noise from rear driver’s side wheel

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a grinding noise on my T1 V6 Touareg.
I can't find the cause, we already tried to put the car in the air and engage drive ,but the TC kicks in and we cannot discover the problem.
It is like wear breaking pads against the rotors .
We have changed already brake pads, wheel bearings.
The grinding keeps even if we put it in Neutral.
All oil levels are ok, no metal on the oil etc.
It sounds like a dry bearing and it is getting worst.
If in neutral then presumably the drivetrain isnt engaged so not moving so the grinding must be engine related. Please clarify?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Long shot but try putting the car in reverse on a safe and empty piece of road. Reverse backwards at speed then brake very hard.

If you have a trapped stone in one of the brakes that might clear it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long shot but try putting the car in reverse on a safe and empty piece of road. Reverse backwards at speed then brake very hard.

If you have a trapped stone in one of the brakes that might clear it.
Pads and rotors have been changed and the noise persists.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In neutral but moving.
It increases with speed.
On a downhill for example.
You said the car was in the air!! Put it back in the air & rotate each wheel in turn. Also check the prop shafts which is easy on a lift & front rear diffs & transfer box. Try & isolate it difficult while driving but not so on a lift.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg V8
196 Posts
Long shot, but the bearing in your front differentials? Needle Bearing
Listen to this many times and very closely. Does it sound like in the video, a hollow, grinding type noise

·
Registered
687 Posts
I went through the same thing. Thought it was pads or something with the brakes, replaced everything to no avail. Replaced the center carrier assembly, nope. Then thought it might be wheel bearings but no. Indeed it was the front differential.

The way I finally diagnosed was using a set of "Chasis Ears" placed at points on the front axle / transaxle. It quicly became apparent that it was the transaxle bearings. (the long side, left side I seem to recall). If you drain the front diff fluid and see shiny particles in there, that is another clear indicator.

I replaced the front transaxle with a used unit from an Audi Q7 and all good. It was a big job but I was able to do it on my own as I have a lift at home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long shot, but the bearing in your front differentials? Needle Bearing
Listen to this many times and very closely. Does it sound like in the video, a hollow, grinding type noise
It is close to this, yes. But not so loud. And it does not do the bumping noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went through the same thing. Thought it was pads or something with the brakes, replaced everything to no avail. Replaced the center carrier assembly, nope. Then thought it might be wheel bearings but no. Indeed it was the front differential.

The way I finally diagnosed was using a set of "Chasis Ears" placed at points on the front axle / transaxle. It quicly became apparent that it was the transaxle bearings. (the long side, left side I seem to recall). If you drain the front diff fluid and see shiny particles in there, that is another clear indicator.

I replaced the front transaxle with a used unit from an Audi Q7 and all good. It was a big job but I was able to do it on my own as I have a lift at home.
Are all front diff alike?
Mine is a 3.2L , is it interchangeable with all the TDI's?
Are the ones on the Cayenne V6 alike?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are all front diff alike?
Mine is a 3.2L , is it interchangeable with all the TDI's?
Are the ones on the Cayenne V6 alike?
No, they are all not the same. Different ratios. Some compatible, some not. There is compatibility across brands but you must ensure ratios are the same as yours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let us know whenever you get done with it
Tomorrow morning will put it secure in the air, disable Abs and TC by taking the fuse( otherwise TC is always kicking in and we cannot get wheels spinning )and we will try to be sure where the noise comes from.
I will keep you guys posted.
Fingers crossed it is from the center bearing...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Are those bearings the referenced on this topic ? Or another bearings?
If i will have to open the diff better to change everything.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts