Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2011 7P diesel Touareg has developed a strange noise when pulling away on an incline and slowing to a stop again, it sounds like a wiring noise as some disengages.

I have managed to capture it on a video - please see below

Have any of you come across this noise before?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hard to be sure from the clip. Kind of sounds like the exhaust rubbing against something or an engine mount. Is it only apparent on an incline? What mileage?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
it's your ****in turbo ya bloke. It's called compressor surge.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Nothing to check for. It's completely normal. Had to watch the video three times to realize what the hell he was talking about until I realized he was referring to the compressor surge.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Maybe you haven't been paying attention or stood outside next to the passenger side where the turbo resides and quickly stabbed at the throttle and then quickly jabbed out of it in order to produce surge. I can literally produce this on command at any speed. it annoys my wife...

With a stock car its nearly impossible to hear inside, only outside. My car is not stock so it's quite loud now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe you haven't been paying attention or stood outside next to the passenger side where the turbo resides and quickly stabbed at the throttle and then quickly jabbed out of it in order to produce surge. I can literally produce this on command at any speed. it annoys my wife...

With a stock car its nearly impossible to hear inside, only outside. My car is not stock so it's quite loud now.
You may well be correct. I will try it and see if it does it.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Dear chap. Google 'turbo confessor stall' and hear that sound for hours. Don't make me go take a video of my car doing it on command.

Can also guarantee you aren't doing what's necessary to induce stall.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I am doing what the OP is doing and not experiencing it. I am not saying you are wrong but that the OP`s vehicle may have an issue which makes it more susceptible. In the video the engine isn't revving that high so would the turbo be spinning fast enough to cause the noise? Could a pipe be blocked?

The OP has gone quiet so I am not going to stress over it. :sleep:

I assume by "confessor" it was a typo for compressor?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I watched a few videos, and the sound is similar. But all those cars are nowhere near idle and 1 mph. More like WOT, sideways, smoking tyres, near maximum power load, and then directly over to no throttle.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I am doing what the OP is doing and not experiencing it. I am not saying you are wrong but that the OP`s vehicle may have an issue which makes it more susceptible. In the video the engine isn't revving that high so would the turbo be spinning fast enough to cause the noise? Could a pipe be blocked?

The OP has gone quiet so I am not going to stress over it. :sleep:

I assume by "confessor" it was a typo for compressor?
You aren't doing what the OP was doing. He was loading the turbo at extremely low RPM then shot off the pedal and caused the compressor to surge with all of the excess air it had with nowhere to go

I watched a few videos, and the sound is similar. But all those cars are nowhere near idle and 1 mph. More like WOT, sideways, smoking tyres, near maximum power load, and then directly over to no throttle.
Speed doesn't matter. RPM vs load matters. Low RPM high load induces stall.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The last weeks my car have been making the same noise in my driveway. It did not do this before. What could cause the “turbo surge” to become louder? It occurs even when there is no surge, just a slight deceleration at low speeds.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
The last weeks my car have been making the same noise in my driveway. It did not do this before. What could cause the “turbo surge” to become louder? It occurs even when there is no surge, just a slight deceleration at low speeds.
Turbo surge doesn't occur when sitting still in your driveway. Start a new thread

1 - 20 of 22 Posts