Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys- recently brought my vehicle to VW dealership to diagnose and fix two issues. I have a grinding noise/feeling and I'm almost positive it's only happening on right hand turns. Something is legit grinding. I think it's up in the front end but then every so often i can't tell if it's the rear diff or not. Recently, I had a new noise which sounded like solid metal on metal grinding that was very intermittent and changed with acceleration and deceleration. When I took it out on a test drive with the service manager he acknowledged both sounds/concerns and said they would put it in the shop and diagnose.
The VW dealer ended up replacing the rear drive shaft and now the metal on metal grinding noise is gone.
The original grinding feeling/noise is still happening on right hand turns. VW thought it might have been the differential when i took it on the test drive but they only started with replacing the drive shaft.
Question: Do you think the differential would cause a grinding sound and feeling while making right hand turns. If the differential is bad I really need and want VW to replace it this visit because i'm basically at the end of my 5 year original power train warranty.
Can anyone help me figure out how to diagnose this with the help of the dealer? I'm worried they will try and brush this off and say they can't seem to figure it out. But there is definitely a grinding feeling on the right hand turns. In the dealers defence they grinding is intermittently happening on right hand turns but it's something.

Thanks!

Bracus

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Stepper motor I think. Get un updated one. Part number should end with a C if I remember well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Judging from his statement that his 5 years of original warranty are almost up, and his other posts, he most probably has a 2015 North American spec Touareg. These only came with the Torsen fully mechanical locking center differential, so no delicate stepper motors or wearable differential clutch packs would be on his vehicle.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Right. I used to read profiles of forum members but recently I stopped as most of them do not put vehicle info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah guys you are correct. It's for the 2015 and there's no steeper motor

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My best guess is differential or cv joint thus far. Since VW is saying they replaced the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
576 Posts
If the noise is in front might want to look at your ABS sensors. Have seen similar posts where the culprit was the sensors for a grinding noise up front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts