Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Touareg came with a GPS... I've only used it a couple of times but proved to be useful.

However, I'm told that by simply having this piece of equipment... my 'travels' can be tracked and monitored 24/7... is that true? If so, can you turn the signal off when you're not using the system for your own purposes.

I own the Touareg.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the factory installed GPS with my Touareg. In asking around, someone said similar tracking can be done via your cell phone. Oye.

I understand the value of these technologies... yet I know how insidious they can be in the wrong hands.

· Registered
55 Posts
Dash said:
I have the factory installed GPS with my Touareg. In asking around, someone said similar tracking can be done via your cell phone. Oye.

I understand the value of these technologies... yet I know how insidious they can be in the wrong hands.
In fact, I believe that the mobile phone tracking is a requirement for all new phones. Currently, the tracking is used for 911 but who knows how the information will be used in the future.

· Registered
81 Posts
On one of my previous vehicles I had Onstar, which meant that I had a GPS system in the car. Since it was a company car, I was paranoid that my company would be able to track me whenever they wanted. I called Onstar and asked them that question. They said that it was against the law to give that information out because of the privacy acts. The only time they would be authorized to give out your location info is if there was an immediate emergency and you authorized it by either speaking with them or if they registered an accident on their system. And only then they could give it out to emergency personel. My guess is if you have a GPS system "factory installed", and you don't have Onstar you Treg is probably tapped and I don't know you and I don't recall typing this. :-#

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Dash,
Do you have the navigation system or OnStar, or both?? GPS doesn't really tell us which option you are talking about. Navigation and OnStar both have GPS receivers. Only OnStar is able to report your actual location to anyone.

I don't think that the mobile phone tracking system is fully in place at this time either. But that is the subject for another forum.

· Registered
55 Posts
spockcat said:
Dash,
SNIP....
I don't think that the mobile phone tracking system is fully in place at this time either. But that is the subject for another forum.
I don't think it is in place now either but my understanding is that newly manufactured phones must have the capability to be tracked.

You're right...subject of a different forum.

· Registered
119 Posts
theswami said:
spockcat said:
Dash,
SNIP....
I don't think it is in place now either but my understanding is that newly manufactured phones must have the capability to be tracked.

You're right...subject of a different forum.
You can be sure that it does work, anyway it works in Europe, so why not in the States.
It is a service that has to be paid for, but if a company wants to track their drivers down, they can do that by computer if they have the service paid for and the software installed. Here the user of the phone has to give his approval before the system may be just by the employer and the user can at all time cal the service company to have it switched off immediately, without having to get an agreement of the employer. (Law on privacy and stuff).

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.