Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
First time poster, just bought a 2008 TDI.
Is it possible to upgrade the standard stereo system to the factory GPS version ?
The GPS would be handy as would the bluetooth connectivity. Just on the bluetooth ... is that for phone calls, music or both ?
If the upgrade is possible, I would appreciate any tips on purchase and installation.
Thanks very much.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Hi Steve,

It's an expensive exercise to do the upgrade with OEM equipment.

The RNS510 touch screen head unit must be the version that is applicable for the Touareg or the T5 Transporter. Both vehicles use special security "keys" to install/remove the units. They are not 'screwed into the dash.

This is the unit I am referring to: Genuine VW RNS 510 FOR T5 Transporter VW Touareg With THE Latest V8 2015 MAP | eBay

see the 2 slots along the top of the unit...with 2 corresponding slots along the bottom of the unit? That is the sure fire indicator that it would suit your car. If the RNS unit you may be looking at doesn't have those slots....forget it.

You will need a separate Bluetooth unit 9W7/9WZ to enable BT connectivity. Pretty sure you can only do music streaming via 9W7, however, with a 30GB HDD in the RNS, plus 32GB SD Card slot, you should be sorted for music storage just with that.

There are alternative double-din units available. From personal experience with some of the early (development) model Chinese units...I'd tread carefully. But, Kenwood and other big brand manufacturers make great units. I'm sure there will be other members who will provide alternative/supporting comments suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi I also have an 2008 T2 and went Chinese aftermarket GPS/DVD/Dig TV about 5 years ago.
A-Sure was not the cheapest ~ $400 I think, I'm happy with it.
+ can use DVD while driving
+ Bluetooth to phone
+ all songs on card and USB (16 GB each)
+ free map upgrades when I ask
+ fits well to dash
- lost AM radio
- only volume works on steering wheel.
- Dig TV can not pickup - don't bother.
regards Bruce

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

Can anyone make a recommendation on a current no-brand stereo/GPS brand ?

Lots of options on eBay ... lots of sub-par offering I'm guessing as well.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
62 Posts
I changed mine to a Kenwood system with all the bells and whistles - great system but for some reason the quality of FM radio signals delined (ie the signal not as strong) anyway works well and have two camera settings for caravan and vehicle rear which work well.

I guess what I am saying think about the FM radio range if this is important to you don't change

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I changed mine to a Kenwood system with all the bells and whistles - great system but for some reason the quality of FM radio signals delined (ie the signal not as strong) anyway works well and have two camera settings for caravan and vehicle rear which work well.

I guess what I am saying think about the FM radio range if this is important to you don't change
This thread will give you an insight why your Kenwood radio is deficient in the reception stakes,http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/not-happy-with-radio-reception-180338.html
I have dumped the Kenwood since the thread to an RNS510 together with Bluetooth module (which I love) and reception has improved however I am not convinced the cost was worth the reception improvement.
What I did find is when I fitted my original OEM Delta CD/Radio, reception is brilliant but of course you miss out on navigation (not a big deal as the VW navigation is not very good with many deficiencies) and no Bluetooth, but there are many work arounds for this.

TonyB

TonyB

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm re-posting this here as it seems more relevant to the established thread rather that an stand alone post:-

Hi fellow Treg owners,

My current situation is this: when I purchased my 2007 T2 V6 TDI second hand the original purchaser had removed the original GPS stereo head unit with 6 stacker CD and replaced it with an aftermarket Pioneer GPS stereo DVD player and amplifier.

Pioneer ceased manufacturing map updates in 2012. As such this is a deleted / defunct unit in their eyes. Secondly this unit has issues with the dynamic areal that VW use and despite having the areal adaptor replaced, still have limited radio reception. Not to mention the loss off flat/level floor/load space when rear seat is laid flat.

The Dilemma: do I search for a VW head unit that is compatible with a T2 Treg AND is updatable re maps and traffic, or do I relent and change my dead head with a new aftermarket head unit sat nav stereo?

If I were to consider an original/compatible head unit where do I even begin to look?

Throwing this out there to those with relevant knowledge and experience.

Cheers, Richard.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Richard,
the problem you are going to face is that the only replacement OEM option is the RNS510 system. The RNS510 does not support traffic (TMC) in Australia and maps are updated via CD/DVD at a replacement cost of around $700. This system also requires the addition of a separate bluetooth unit.
You will need to look at a 2nd hand one as VW Australia require the better part of $4000 to find you one. 2nd hand = suspect quality or dodgy ownership history. Be aware that the Touareg is limited to specific Touareg/Transporter units as it is a different shape to the VW general models used in Golfs, Passats ETC.

For the mucking around you are better off looking at something aftermarket or getting an original radio only head unit and one of the Navman/Garmin/Tom Tom purpose built GPS units.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hi Richard,

You already have some suggestions from earlier posts here on what you can do, I've been in the same situation as you and ultimately went down the used RNS510 path and as Flipper Dog says it's not worth the mucking around and cost involved.

What I would do now with the benefit of hindsight, is to go back and fit an OEM Delta head unit (which came as standard with the T2's I believe), the unit uses the Diversity antenna units in the rear glass for good AM/FM reception and also integrates with the CD stacker in the back.

For navigation and rear vision, I would buy a HEMA HN6 (or other similar sized unit) and fit it into the top front storage bin and buy a generic rear vision camera which simply plugs into the HN6 which become the RV monitor when reverse is selected.

I haven't got a pic of the Delta and the HN6 fitted but here is a current pic of it and the RNS510. Just be careful on the over all size of the unit as around the 6" screen size is as big as you can fit in that storage bin.

This was the set up I had fitted when my aftermarket Kenwood died, was very functional and I was happy with both the audio side of things as well as the navigation as the HN6 gives both street maps and off road mapping which I use.

Even with the RNS510 now fitted I find that I still leave both on and use the HN6 for navigation and for current speed display and speed camera warnings which the RNS510 does not seen to be able to provide.

TonyB

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
To OEM head unit or not to OEM head unit, that is the question .....

Richard,
the problem you are going to face is that the only replacement OEM option is the RNS510 system. The RNS510 does not support traffic (TMC) in Australia and maps are updated via CD/DVD at a replacement cost of around $700. This system also requires the addition of a separate bluetooth unit.
You will need to look at a 2nd hand one as VW Australia require the better part of $4000 to find you one. 2nd hand = suspect quality or dodgy ownership history. Be aware that the Touareg is limited to specific Touareg/Transporter units as it is a different shape to the VW general models used in Golfs, Passats ETC.

For the mucking around you are better off looking at something aftermarket or getting an original radio only head unit and one of the Navman/Garmin/Tom Tom purpose built GPS units.
Thanks for the info Flipper Dog. Very useful. I checked out your link to the RNS510 from your earlier post and the guy's asking about $1100- for it. In my best "The Castle" rendition - "Tell him he's dreaming!!!!!"

Went to my local car stereo installer / retailer and ran a couple of scenarios by him.

I want to avoid buying a multitude of units each for only one (or limited) purpose(s).

Am looking at an Alpine INE-W960A for around $1199- with a 6.1" screen. The big advantage as I understand it is the navigation capabilities with 3 years free map upgrades then a annual update fee of about $140-. Also these maps include all the HEMA stuff like 4wd off road maps and the bells n whistles of speed camera, points of interest school zones and most importantly the SUNA Live Traffic update / notification feature.

There is the reversing camera ability, DVD, CD, radio, blue tooth for phone and a multitude of other capabilities that you would expect in a good head unit to boot.

Just got to scrape all the coin together now ......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go Go Gadget gadgets

Hi Richard,

You already have some suggestions from earlier posts here on what you can do, I've been in the same situation as you and ultimately went down the used RNS510 path and as Flipper Dog says it's not worth the mucking around and cost involved.

What I would do now with the benefit of hindsight, is to go back and fit an OEM Delta head unit (which came as standard with the T2's I believe), the unit uses the Diversity antenna units in the rear glass for good AM/FM reception and also integrates with the CD stacker in the back.

For navigation and rear vision, I would buy a HEMA HN6 (or other similar sized unit) and fit it into the top front storage bin and buy a generic rear vision camera which simply plugs into the HN6 which become the RV monitor when reverse is selected.

I haven't got a pic of the Delta and the HN6 fitted but here is a current pic of it and the RNS510. Just be careful on the over all size of the unit as around the 6" screen size is as big as you can fit in that storage bin.

This was the set up I had fitted when my aftermarket Kenwood died, was very functional and I was happy with both the audio side of things as well as the navigation as the HN6 gives both street maps and off road mapping which I use.

Even with the RNS510 now fitted I find that I still leave both on and use the HN6 for navigation and for current speed display and speed camera warnings which the RNS510 does not seen to be able to provide.

TonyB

Hi Tony, I read you're related article in the link you provided. Also thank you for the great advice and how you problem solved the issue.

I want to avoid buying a multitude of units each for only one (or limited) purpose(s).

Am curious if having the dash oddment storage lid up to fit in the HN6 causes too much vision obstruction?

Am looking at an Alpine INE-W960A for around $1199- with a 6.1" screen. The big advantage as I understand it is the navigation capabilities with 3 years free map upgrades then a annual update fee of about $140-. Also these maps include all the HEMA stuff like 4wd off road maps and the bells n whistles of speed camera, points of interest school zones and most importantly the SUNA Live Traffic update / notification feature.

There is the reversing camera ability, DVD, CD, radio, blue tooth for phone and a multitude of other capabilities that you would expect in a good head unit to boot.

Just got to scrape all the coin together now ......

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
This thread will give you an insight why your Kenwood radio is deficient in the reception stakes,http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/not-happy-with-radio-reception-180338.html
I have dumped the Kenwood since the thread to an RNS510 together with Bluetooth module (which I love) and reception has improved however I am not convinced the cost was worth the reception improvement.
What I did find is when I fitted my original OEM Delta CD/Radio, reception is brilliant but of course you miss out on navigation (not a big deal as the VW navigation is not very good with many deficiencies) and no Bluetooth, but there are many work arounds for this.

TonyB

TonyB
Tony: When you put in the Kenwood or RNS510 from the Delta you needed to create a Diversity Antenna pass through for the RNS510 or Kenwood to have good reception as they both already have diversity capability built in. . The 2009-2010 Touareg 2 has the Diversity Module located rear center headliner.
Cheers
Walton

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts