Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I want to find a better way to update the GPS on my 2013 Touareg. I dealer wants $500.00 for the update. VW America will not provide a better price. The cost is outrageous. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
You would need 2 things: The SD card with the map update (Version 10 is the latest), and the SD card with activation code. Cost for both is around $650. Then there's shop time: It takes up to about 5 hours (not actual labor but the time for the RNS-850 to ingest the update, which is huge).

$500 from a dealer is actually not unreasonable. They must already have the SD card with map data.

If you can get the map data somewhere, you still need activation. There's a guy online who claims he can provide a valid activation code for $50.

Good luck with your quest.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Winslow

I agree that the cost is excessive, they only have to insert the sd card and code and then walk away until its done. The also need to have the local speed limit displayed on the screen, even the most basic nav system does that.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hey Winslow

I agree that the cost is excessive, they only have to insert the sd card and code and then walk away until its done. The also need to have the local speed limit displayed on the screen, even the most basic nav system does that.

Good luck
Mine displays the speed limit. There might be a setup option to turn that on or off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know what the codes are for the v10 update and most recent RNS 850 firmware? My dealer installed a nav update, but based on the hoops I had to jump through and that I had to tell them they needed to do the update (not me), I wonder if they actually completed the update. I haven't driven enough since to figure it out. Mine nav database number ends in NAR 6.9.2.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Anyone know what the codes are for the v10 update and most recent RNS 850 firmware? My dealer installed a nav update, but based on the hoops I had to jump through and that I had to tell them they needed to do the update (not me), I wonder if they actually completed the update. I haven't driven enough since to figure it out. Mine nav database number ends in NAR 6.9.2.
See post #114 in this thread: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f45/voice-command-problems-entering-destination-218378-12.html

That's for a 2016 RNS-850 with the 2017 map update applied (Version 10 maps).

Note that depending on the model year you drive, the latest RNS-850 firmware may be different (older). Early RNS-850 systems are not necessarily compatible with the most current firmware.

The nav database version number is a separate thing. 6.14.2 is the latest known version for nav data.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi. I want to find a better way to update the GPS on my 2013 Touareg. I dealer wants $500.00 for the update. VW America will not provide a better price. The cost is outrageous. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
I think this is the most disappointing thing about my 2013 Touareg. When I was buying it I specifically asked about how the navigation maps were updated, and was told it was a simple $100 purchase of a DVD that you could now update yourself without going to the dealer. Apparently the dealer was confusing the earlier nav system. It wasn't until a few years later when I thought it was time to update the maps (we have friends who live outside the current map area) that I discovered updating the maps was a costly process. :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPS Cost

Hi Mike, VW America also told me to get it via the Internet. Once I convinced them that it had to be done by the Dealer, VW America blamed the Dealer for the high price. I showed them that 3 dealers in my area charge the same price for that part #7P6-051-850-AQ SPO. They basically said tough.

In searching the internet site, I found that if I had a 2010 Touareg I could buy the update for $99.00. No wonder VW has created their own bad image problem.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hi Mike, VW America also told me to get it via the Internet. Once I convinced them that it had to be done by the Dealer, VW America blamed the Dealer for the high price. I showed them that 3 dealers in my area charge the same price for that part #7P6-051-850-AQ SPO. They basically said tough.

In searching the internet site, I found that if I had a 2010 Touareg I could buy the update for $99.00. No wonder VW has created their own bad image problem.
What update are you getting for $99? It can't possibly be the latest.

ECS Tuning sells the Version 10 update. It's still around $350 and you still also need an activation code. If it's a genuine VW activation, only the dealer can apply it because it requires a live connection to VW's database servers in Wolfsburg.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
I just ordered version 11 for my RNS 510 last night and it was for $99 not including tax and shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Oregon. Appreciated. Apparently, the update that I bought and had installed a little over a week ago is not the most up to date - or it's possible the update did not occur (since I do not know how to correlate a NAV database to the corresponding version release date).

·
Learner
4,707 Posts
Mine displays the speed limit. There might be a setup option to turn that on or off.
Hi Oregon TDI, interesting to note that you have speed limit being displayed. any chance you could share vcds scan of your RNS850?
I am wondering which setting there is that needs to be changed.....
I have this working on my 10 year old V10 but the new one doesnt have it....

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Hi Oregon TDI, interesting to note that you have speed limit being displayed. any chance you could share vcds scan of your RNS850?
I am wondering which setting there is that needs to be changed.....
I have this working on my 10 year old V10 but the new one doesnt have it....
Singh,

Here's a couple screenshots of my RNS-850 & speed limit display. I'll see about getting a VCDS scan for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally, some resolution. This after contacting my local dealer, VW support and HERE customer service (where the NAV databases are derived), I received no good or even helpful answers. Finally I found a list of the NAV databases and release dates (and other Infotainment information, MMI 3G) for Audi. I believe the Audi NAV database versions match the VW versions, since my 2014 version matches the list. I have the 2014 TDI Exec and after having my NAV system "updated" in mid December 2016, it still retains the 2014 factory installed maps. Apparently, a complete wast of time and money at this point.

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Media_Interface+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Since I am under 5 posts, I am not allowed to post a link. So you'll have to put the preceding https at the from of the link.

Please let me know if I am missing something. Several dealers in other states have told me that the newest database version update is either 6.14.2 or 6.13.2, which agrees with the website.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just post repeatedly on this thread until you clock up the number of posts needed to use the site properly. We will know what you are doing!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would someone mind explaining he difference in having your firmware updated compared to having NAV system updated? I recently bought a 2013 Treg Exec and have my 40k maintenance coming up. I would like to see if I can get them to update the infotainment as much as possible so any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Firmware updates are for the operating system of your nav system. Fixes bugs and/could improve your system's performance
Maps updates are only the updates of your map to a later release. This could provide you with more detailed information of your area or have no impact at all.

You should update firmware before updating maps as some data may not be able to be available on a new map.

Price wise firmware updates are cheaper and quicker to perform as the dealerships have the disc/card to do it. Map updates have more data so take longer to do, this also increases the price quite a bit. You also need to purchase your license to use these maps there fore adding to the cost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts