Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an M-Protekt system fitted to their vehicle and, if so, are you happy with it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's for a MY17 Treg that we're buying and the dealer is selling these at point of sale.
Sad indictment on our society that this is even thought necessary but that's the way it is.
Cheers!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Unless your insurance premium reduction will pay for it, I wouldn't bother.

The newer immobilizers are harder to bypass now. Most thieves will go for the easier lower hanging fruit, an older car.
Or just steal the keys to make it even easier.

Big problem with a tracker is that you may get your car back, after it's been trashed!

·
Learner
4,803 Posts
Not this one, but i have used a similar one. One off cost was $500 for the unit and then a monthly plan.
But technology has changed, its all IOT based now. Devices are very cheap- less than $50 with a few dollars every year for subscription

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IOT based?
Sorry but I'm not sure what that means. Old age and all that ...
I'll be checking with the insurance providers for premium discounts. They may have "preferred" systems.
Won't be taking delivery until early October and can't wait to really join the Treg community.
Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
1,715 Posts
The immobiliser system in Volkswagens is one of the best around.

Best security is:
1. Don't leave keys easily accessible in the home.
2. Always ensure the car is locked when your back is turned.
3. Save your money on electronic gizmos and install bollards in your garage.

As an insurer to many exotic cars, my employer is not phased as to whether the car is fitted with a tracking device or not. Our focus is on security at the home.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
IOT: Internet of Things. IOW (In Other Words), devices connected to the internet

Works well when you're within wifi range or possibly cell range, depending on the device. Given your location in the world and the pictures posted here of parts of your continent, an IOT device might not work so well. LOL!!

Steve_L's advice is spot on, IMHO.

·
Learner
4,803 Posts
IOT: Internet of Things. IOW (In Other Words), devices connected to the internet

Works well when you're within wifi range or possibly cell range, depending on the device. Given your location in the world and the pictures posted here of parts of your continent, an IOT device might not work so well. LOL!!

Steve_L's advice is spot on, IMHO.
Besides wifi and BT IOT uses the 'free band', networks such as Sigfox already cover significant part of Oceania.
Bonus is these are extremely cheap. Believe me i have used both

·
Registered
152 Posts
did a quick google to see what gets stolen.... it's not touaregs.

if you want to get your car nicked, own a 90's model holden, or a Toyota hilux ( only God, Allah, Buddha, the giant flying spaghetti monster may know why you would steal a gutlux ).. :))

I'm tipping that all of the Tregs below would be stolen with the keys.
apparently the most common theft for late model cars.. sneak in, grab the keys near the front door then drive off.

#2 on all of SteveL's comments above.

Volkswagen Touareg 7P MY12+

Summary for 2016

State
Risk rating
Thefts
Registrations
ACT
NSW
NT
No rating < 100 registrations
  QLD
SA
TAS
VIC
WA
AUS

Volkswagen Touareg 7L MY02_11

Summary for 2016

State
Risk rating
Thefts
Registrations
ACT
NSW
NT
No rating < 100 registrations
  QLD
SA
TAS
VIC
WA
AUS

https://carsafe.com.au/risk-rating#

·
Registered
152 Posts
sorry, that was a nicely formatted table until I posted it, not sure why it does that.
the 1st number is the number stolen in that state, the 2nd is the number of registrations in that state.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just a note - if you buy from the dealer as part of the initial sales package you will pay the luxury car tax on the "deal" . . . 33%?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all that.
I might wait and see.
Re luxury car tax I'm still taking my meds after signing up for the towbar and copping the LCT for my trouble.
Just one more government exercise in gouging the people that put them there.
Anyhoo, Cheers!

·
Registered
305 Posts
As an aside, buy an old iPhone, get a cheap SIM, Set up a 12 volt usb charge point for it but bury the phone up behind the panelling in the rear close to the glass. Then use find my phone to find the car. (oh turn off the ringer lol). If the find my phone option is available on Android then that will be a cheaper option. Yes requires Cell phone coverage so choose your provider well . . . . or simply make sure you insure at an agreed value and set the value to a replacement value that YOU research and not take the value given by the insurance company.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had an M-Protekt system fitted to their vehicle and, if so, are you happy with it?
Or are you using any other real-time car tracking system?

Thanks!
I like Lojack, it's versatile. More importantly, you don't need to worry about the battery until its 10-year battery expires. It will be the safest insurance for my vehicle, and if there is no theft, it will be taken to a retirement. Hahahaha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts