Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum,

I have been driving 2 tregs for the past 7 years and yesterday I had my first accident.

It's morning rush hour highway traffic, ~40 mph, and the car in front me suddenly went full stop. I floored the brake to get the car to stop (ABS activated). However, the car behind me didn't and hit from behind.

After the collision, the engine won't start and has to be towed away. I am still waiting for the insurance company to assess the accident before sending it to the dealer for repair.

Here is the question bothering me: When the collision happend, there's also a little bit smoke coming out of the center console. What could it be? ABS? transmission? or exhaust?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi forum,

I have been driving 2 tregs for the past 7 years and yesterday I had my first accident.

It's morning rush hour highway traffic, ~40 mph, and the car in front me suddenly went full stop. I floored the brake to get the car to stop (ABS activated). However, the car behind me didn't and hit from behind.

After the collision, the engine won't start and has to be towed away. I am still waiting for the insurance company to assess the accident before sending it to the dealer for repair.

Here is the question bothering me: When the collision happend, there's also a little bit smoke coming out of the center console. What could it be? ABS? transmission? or exhaust?

Thanks!
Possibly came from the Airbag module. It sits under the center console on top of the tunnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hope you're ok saltshaker.

Thanks Ragman. Both my daughter onboard and myself are OK. She's scared a little bit but immediately used it as excuse to not go to school (there's a quiz in her class yesterday), so I think she actually loved it.

The police suspect the car detected the crash and triggered self-protection mode and tried to call the nearby dealer for advice as they need to move the car out of the way. The dealer said there's no easy reset and has to be sent to the bodyshop to replace some "coil".

pilot60378: It's a rear-end crash so our airbag didn't deploy, can the airbag control module still be triggered?

Here is the photo of the tail of the car after crash. The other car's head hit right on the hitch and crumbled in pretty badly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My guess are the seat belt pretensioners going off once the car detected a rear end collision. They are designed to pull you back into your seat preventing you from hitting the dash. Check out the video done by the Slowmo guys on Youtube if you want to see how they work.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
FYI: There is airbag disconnect switch under the drivers seat (near the battery) of the T1 and T2 that will kill power when the airbags deploy. There is a yellow button on it that will reconnect power, but the service manual is adamant that it is only to be pressed after the car has been certified safe.

I don't know if the switch is on the later models. I "heard" that at some point the resettable disconnect was replaced by a one time use version.

PS: Glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Ragman. Both my daughter onboard and myself are OK. She's scared a little bit but immediately used it as excuse to not go to school (there's a quiz in her class yesterday), so I think she actually loved it.

The police suspect the car detected the crash and triggered self-protection mode and tried to call the nearby dealer for advice as they need to move the car out of the way. The dealer said there's no easy reset and has to be sent to the bodyshop to replace some "coil".

pilot60378: It's a rear-end crash so our airbag didn't deploy, can the airbag control module still be triggered?

Here is the photo of the tail of the car after crash. The other car's head hit right on the hitch and crumbled in pretty badly.
saltshaker: I'm not sure exactly that it will/would trigger the battery interrupt or not, even though the bags did not deploy. The crash sensor has to have so much g-force for the airbag module to initiate the igniters. There should be a threshold though where the module activates the igniters or not. I think it's possible the crash sensor was activated but not enough g-force to activate the igniters (deploying the airbags.) So I believe it's possible the airbag module sent signal for the battery interrupt switch to activate. I did not see any crash sensors in the bumper area though. I've only dealt with my 04 Treg but VW doesn't change a ton on them.

Does the car power on at all?

I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I though there was some kind of special fuseable link on the battery wiring that gets triggered in a heavy impact to cut the power in the vehicle to protect the occupants and first responders?

My understanding that it has to be replaced to restore power.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saltshaker: I'm not sure exactly that it will/would trigger the battery interrupt or not, even though the bags did not deploy. The crash sensor has to have so much g-force for the airbag module to initiate the igniters. There should be a threshold though where the module activates the igniters or not. I think it's possible the crash sensor was activated but not enough g-force to activate the igniters (deploying the airbags.) So I believe it's possible the airbag module sent signal for the battery interrupt switch to activate. I did not see any crash sensors in the bumper area though. I've only dealt with my 04 Treg but VW doesn't change a ton on them.

Does the car power on at all?

I'm glad you and your daughter are ok.

Thanks, the car electronics will turn on, just the engine won't start.

It's towed to the dealer's bodyshop now. I will update later.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The vehicle can disable the starter.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Yup.The shop will be able to hook it up to their computer to find out what, if anything, was triggered by the impact.

Also have the shop inspect the trailer hitch. Or better let, let an autobody shop check it out. They will know where to look for damage.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If I'm not mistaken in some high end cars if you get rear ended in just the right way it'll nock out a fuse. Almost like a fuel pump of something that will prevent the engine from starting until you replace that fuse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts