Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2005 V8, steel suspension Touareg new and have loved it like no other car I have even owned.

The only issues I have ever had have been self-inflicted with aftermarket electronics. My latest problem is related to the backup camera I had installed concurrently with my pioneer Avic hands-free nav unit.

I am experiencing two issues:

1. Various crap rattles behind the dash now. I suspect I can tighten it up with a handful of zip-ties, however I am scared to delve in there because I am too well trained to attack the car without a full set of schematics (I used to fix F-14's, get caught working on the radar without pubs.........not pretty). Question, should I just dive in there? What should I beware of?

2. The installer swore the backup camera would use existing wiring, he lied and drilled holes near the lift gate struts, and installed new wires. My car eventually was exposed to rain months later and started to smell like the inside of a sock. The plastic bed-liner I bought hid the damage. The spare tire compartment was filled with mold and fungus, it was crazy how much was in there. Carpet was ruined as well. I fixed the hole with RTV, but now (current rainy season) the lift gate itself has water INSIDE! Question, should I drill holes in the bottom of the lift gate to let the water out, and hopefully let some air in to dry it out?

For the last two days I have been shopping for a replacement car, however I have not found what I need or want. The current lineup of motors at VW leaves me flat since I have a V8 and the new hybrid is fully sold months in advance. Don't love the Q7 or the Cayenne base models, and not willing to pay those large numbers for engine downgrades. already own an ML Bluetec, so can't have two of those. I have decided to keep the "Reg"

My new bright idea is to upgrade it! I know I am crazy, but it only has 42k miles on it!

If I can fix the problems listed above, I would like some input on the most "bang for your buck" upgrades for my beloved 05 V8 Touareg. I want to keep the stock look and height.

Here are some things I would like to achieve:

1. Return the handling and ride quality to as new or better (coils, sway bars?)
2. A bit more power. 98% big city driving. No superchargers!......well, maybe.
3. Preventive maintenance upgrades that can enhance the life of the vehicle.
4. Minor look enhancements. Tires, rims, blacking the chrome? Etc....

I look forward to hearing your opinions!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
A few random thoughts and opinions:
-dash rattle is probably loose wires banging around, that's why the factory wraps their harnesses in foam. I'd pop out the head unit and see if there are any loose harnesses and if so wrap in foam.
-water in the tailgate: remove the inner trim and get a shop vac in there to dry it out..check for any drilled holes near the top of the tailgate and if the installer didn't use the factry camera handle, check the camera location for leaks. There should be no reason for water to get in there
-Re; ride- if you have steel suspension a new set of bilsteins should freshen things up
-re: looks, wheels go a long way on a Treg..start looking at photos and figure out what makes you happy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update #1, put deposit on T3 Hybrid today. Got to drive it too. My impressions are:
If the V8 Touareg is a lion, then the T3 Hybrid is a house cat. Very nice car though.

Deposit is refundable, not sure the T3 has the soul of the Touareg in my opinion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts