Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent fuel system incident began with a yellow flashing warning light -- a double pig's tail -- that I assume represents the diesel glow plugs.

However, none of the materials delivered with my 2011 Touareg TDI Executive document this warning light -- I have an Owner's Manual and a supplementary brochure showing errors/omissions from the Owner's Manual. The symbol I saw isn't pictured or mentioned in either one.

Can anyone give me the official VW description for this warning light? I assume the documentation oversight has been fixed in later versions?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had this come on testerday, it could be related to a throttle control valve problem but is listed as engine malfunction if blinking and if comes on at start up glow plugs are activating I guess. It the dealer this very instant.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
That is a diesel glow plug warn light.. Strange however, mine is 6-7 years old and still has all its original glow plugs..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a diesel glow plug warn light.. Strange however, mine is 6-7 years old and still has all its original glow plugs..
Well, that sort of the question, i.e. what does it mean when that light blinks (not when the car is being started)!

I had an issue but it wasn't failed glow plugs!

Does anyone have this warning light described in their Owner's Manual and, if so, what does the description say?

None of the stuff that came with my May, 2011 T3 has any information about that light.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:)
I guess nobody really knows what this warning light means?!
Asked VW Customer Care over a week ago and they haven't replied yet, either!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the glow plug light flash on my 2012 TDI while driving with 8000 miles on the car. It cleared after a few minutes and never returned. At 9000 miles I had an Electronic Stability Control failure message appear on the MFD after starting the car. That message cleared after a couple of restarts (no driving, simply restarted while parked) and never reappeared. When the car was in for its 10000 mile service the dealer instrumented the car and drove it for a couple of days. With the help of VW in Germany, it was determined that it was a faulty ground connection to the fuel pump (the dealer initially thought that the fuel pump was going to need to be replaced). A better ground connection was spliced in to repair the problem. I now have 21000 miles on the car and have had no other electrical glitches with the car.

This may or may not be your problem, but it might be worth mentioning to your dealer.

Jim

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that, although several folks have replied, no one seems to have the official, Owner's Manual, description of this warning lamp!

It's not shown anywhere -- not the symbol and not the description -- in my 2011 vehicle documents but I thought, surely, it would have been added in later editions? Apparently not!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lights up: Diesel engine pre glow PAge 18

"Engine control malfunction" have engine checked immediately by VW facility Page 472
2012 manual must be different than the 2011. The only mention of preheat in index is page 292: "In vehicles with a diesel engine, the engine start may be delayed if the engine is preheated."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Warminwisco:

Thanks for looking at your manual! The 2011 manual, as tmann45 says, doesn't even have your minimal description!

That's what I was after -- to know whether VW documentation would have told me to do anything different than what I did when the light started flashing!

The answer is "no the VW description would have been totally useless!"

That particular warning light has little/nothing to do with what was going on in the engine -- HPFP destructing, lift pump destructing. There's no warning light for those events!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Actually my v10 that light came on twice followed by huge loss of power. Every time I would try to floor it the engine would die. Turned out the fuel filter had to be replaced. After that the car was singing! Gobs of power!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine just started flashing yesterday. Turned the car off and restarted the engine, the light went off. I took it to the dealer and the mechanic wasn't able to find anything and just let me go. Very frustrating...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mine just started flashing yesterday. Turned the car off and restarted the engine, the light went off. I took it to the dealer and the mechanic wasn't able to find anything and just let me go. Very frustrating...
I would think that it should have stored a fault code??? Did the dealer put the computer on it and run a scan?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would think that it should have stored a fault code??? Did the dealer put the computer on it and run a scan?
He did. And he apparently opened up my back seat to check the fuel system cause the representative asked me whether they can remove the car seat on the back seat. But eventually the mechanic got back and said he could not identify anything wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem last month. The glow plug light flashed, but went out after restarting. The car drove fine, so I did not rush to the dealer to have it diagnosed. A couple of weeks later I brought the car in for its 30,000 mile service and the dealer could not find the fault that cause the glow plug lamp to flash. I retrieved my car and drive it a couple of miles. After restarting it, the glow plug lamp was flashing again. Since I was only a couple of miles from the dealer, I shot over there and left the car running so the service adviser could see it. They found a code this time (did not tell me what it was), and kept the car for 4 days with VW Germany helping them diagnose the problem. They ended up changing the fuel pump in the tank. I have driven a few hundred miles without the problem returning.

At 10,000 miles I also had seen the glow plug light flash and had an Electronic Stability Control failure message appear on the MFD separately. The dealer also had the car for 4 days, suspected the fuel pump initially, but ended up splicing in a heavier ground connection to solve the problem.

Hopefully, this last service will cure the problem once and for all.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the same problem last month. The glow plug light flashed, but went out after restarting. The car drove fine, so I did not rush to the dealer to have it diagnosed. A couple of weeks later I brought the car in for its 30,000 mile service and the dealer could not find the fault that cause the glow plug lamp to flash. I retrieved my car and drive it a couple of miles. After restarting it, the glow plug lamp was flashing again. Since I was only a couple of miles from the dealer, I shot over there and left the car running so the service adviser could see it. They found a code this time (did not tell me what it was), and kept the car for 4 days with VW Germany helping them diagnose the problem. They ended up changing the fuel pump in the tank. I have driven a few hundred miles without the problem returning.

At 10,000 miles I also had seen the glow plug light flash and had an Electronic Stability Control failure message appear on the MFD separately. The dealer also had the car for 4 days, suspected the fuel pump initially, but ended up splicing in a heavier ground connection to solve the problem.

Hopefully, this last service will cure the problem once and for all.
Hi Jim, do you have any additional information about the fuel pump? what problem did the dealer find out with that pump? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I recall correctly, the service record just stated that the pump was replaced under warranty and that the fuel tank was drained, removed, and refilled to perform the service. I will take another look at the service record in the morning to see if there is any other information that could be useful.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If I recall correctly, the service record just stated that the pump was replaced under warranty and that the fuel tank was drained, removed, and refilled to perform the service. I will take another look at the service record in the morning to see if there is any other information that could be useful.
thanks Jim.
It's really weird that the dealer couldn't read any error code on the car. Should have gone directly to the dealers instead of waiting till the next day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is what was done to my car to fix the flashing glow plug light. Keep in mind that this was a very intermittent problem, so who knows if it is truly fixed.

"Found Glow Plug light flashing and fault in system for fuel pump short circuit. Opened VTA. Instructed to start with replace fuel pump in tank to try and correct issue. Removed and replaced fuel pump and sender units in fuel tank. Performed extensive test drive, faults not returning at this time."

Parts Used:
Qty FP Number Description
1 7P6-919-088-B Module
1 7P6-919-679-A Flange
1 7L8-919-679-E Flange
2 1J0-919-133-B Washer
1 7P0-919-673 Sender
1 7P0-919-673-B Sender

1 - 20 of 42 Posts