Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has happened to others, but the glove box is stuck closed. Latch pulls but the corresponding tabs don't slide in. I am able to manually pry it open, but obviously I can't rely on that forever.

Has anyone fixed this?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
First I have heard of this. Sounds like the latch on the door is broke or something.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly enough, the '03 passat 4motion ai used to drive had a broken latch too. I guess I'm doomed lol.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had this happen on my 2004 Golf R32. Maybe yours was made in the same factory :-O Here is how I fixed it, basically you split the cover off which was actually really easy but a little scary... The broken lever shaft was secured by melting it which gave way and I fixed it by using a self tapping screw. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
How did you pry it off?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
See the first picture. Now, this was on my Golf so I don't know if your glovebox is the same... There is a seam, and you can see in picture #1 where I put a chisel and screwdriver in there. Because the glovebox cover is just held together with melted plastic it just peeled right off once I cracked the seam.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Unfortunately the Touareg glove box is not the same as the Golf's, which I thought was relatively easier to fix. But then again, we're talking about the Touareg here. Nothing is easy about this car.

So. I had the same problem. Glove box latch works but the pins at both ends of the lid won't move. So I thought I'd give fleabag's method a try..I mean, how much worse can it get, right? Well, see the pictures.

As you can see from the pics, the two springs, used to retract the arms that are connected to the pins are housed inside a black plastic sheath, are connected at one end to the moving arm, and on the other side to a plastic loop which is part of the lid. The plastic loop, in my case, has broken off leaving the spring s with nothing to anchor to.

So, I'm thinking of implementing fleabag's solution, but in this case I'll just drill a hole for each spring and secure it to the lid with screw and two nuts, one on each side of the lid. Any suggestions for an easier way to fix this are most welcome and appreciated. I know I can just buy a used lid on ebay, but where's the fun in that, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes I'm sure I can since I can see grease inside, which I'm guessing is to facilitate the movement of the spring.

Also one thing I'd like to start thinking about is how to close this thing up. It doesn't look like they originally used any kind of glue, so any suggestions? Given the way the two halves look on the inside and how thin the mating surfaces are, what would be the best way to seal them back together?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could also open the fuse lid at the end, push the tab in and open. Used this one some audis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts