Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Living through snowy winters with my Touareg either parked or adventuring I end up with ice on my windows often. I really like using the Prestone de-icer in the trigger sprayer bottles. It is so easy to spray (or stream) on, give it a couple seconds the easily scrape off the ice. More like just push off the ice. I’ve used this for years and it never harms my paint. The worst ice was 1/2 inch thick and this stuff worked so easily.
Wish there was a fast and easy way to get the snow off the rest of the Touareg - believe it or not but in most of usa it is illegal, yes illegal, to drive with snow piled up and blowing off as you drive. I am stuck using a broom with teflon bristles to rid the Touareg of snow. The teflon bristles do not scratch the paint.
Also noticed that VW has a new style windshield wipers now. Had mine replaced last month at VW and the new version shield the rubber part a bit from sun and snow.
Wondering what others are using to rid their Touaregs of snow and ice - please do not say you have a garage!

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Being that I don't have a garage I searched around a couple of years ago and bought what I think was the perfect windshield cover for my Treg. I attached a picture of the product I grabbed from the web.

It covers from the front of the moonroof down to cover 1/5 of the hood. This way it covers the windshield cowel where the wipers are. It originally had 4 magnets in it, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I removed those because I found it would cause mini scratches in the paint. I buffed those out. the top folds into the vehicle and clips to itself and the bottom has stretch bands with plastic hooks that hook onto the front wheels. It also came with two side mirror covers.
Much easier to remove the snow/ice off the windshield area as all you need to do is unhook it and pull it off. It also works great for melting ice off the panoramic roof if the sun is out. I drape it over it and clip it down, wait an hour or so and the ice melts enough to come right off. No hazard for other drivers.

I had bought it from Amazon and saw they didn't have them anymore. I found one on Ebay that I bought recently as a back up. I paid ~ $25 USD.

Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
Although mine normally sleeps in a heated 1500 sqft shop, it does occasionally collect snow when at work or adventuring. I use a soft squeegee with a telescoping handle. Has never scratched the black paint. The key though is not having a filthy car. A leaf blower would work too, but I'd think only for light dry powdery snow, not the heavy slushy stuff.

The vancouver way is to clear a 12" circle on the windshield and drivers window, then "good luck everybody else".:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Cartoon Motor vehicle Vertebrate Plant Organism

Reactions: grayS2K and C-ya

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@chewblekka, really a 1500 sq ft shop. Sounds like a giant refrigerator, but nice way to keep snow off your Touareg. Oh wait, does your shop have Solar Heating? Or a wood burning stove? Or oil furnace for recycling your used oil? Or heated floor?
Agreed, keeping your Touareg clean helps keep it from getting scratches when getting snow off of it.

@SaVAGeSoot, a gas powered leaf blower? Or electric? Probably only for dry powdery sissy snow. Not gonna work for real heavy snow. But it will keep the leaf blower in use thru the inclement weather.

@New2Tregs, has the cover ever frozen to your windshield? How do you lift it and the snow off without getting the snow all over you? Do you brush the snow off of it and then remove the cover?

Did you know, before snow plows, plow trucks, etc, kids would roll giant snowballs to clear a path for walking? Kids got creative and used their giant snowballs to make snow forts and snowmen. So if you ever come into snow too deep for your Touareg to drive thru, (not likely but it could happen with all this global warming?!) just get the kids out to make snowmen to clear the way. LOL.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
@New2Tregs, has the cover ever frozen to your windshield? How do you lift it and the snow off without getting the snow all over you? Do you brush the snow off of it and then remove the cover?
For the 2 snow seasons I've used it it has not frozen itself to the windshield. For snow over 4" I usually brush a good portion off to the side of the vehicle. Under that amount I just unhook it from itself in the vehicle and one wheel and pull it to one side. I'm 6'2" so that helps in being able to reach without getting snow on myself. The best thing is not having the buildup of snow/ice in the windshield cowel that I have to dig out.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
Probably.

·
Registered
2013 Touareg TDI Execline
103 Posts
Hi Pry4sno
wont the isopropyl alcohol harm paint and damage windshield wiper blades
I took a quick look in detailing forums and seems like the consensus is there should be no affect on the clear coat.

And a quick search showed a bunch of sources recommending cleaning the wiper blades occasionally with rubbing alcohol (Popular Mechanics and some various forums).

·
Super Moderator
2,000 Posts
Hi Pry4sno
wont the isopropyl alcohol harm paint and damage windshield wiper blades
It won't harm the paint, however it will strip the paint of any waxes or protection you have on it. I wouldn't recommend.

My detailer told me he wipes the cars down with alcohol after buffing to make sure there's no swirls or holograms. He's one of the top detailers in the U.S working on Million $ cars each day. Just when I was in his shop, there was a Rolls truck, a Porsche 918 Spyder, Bugatti Chiron, to name a few. I trust him and his advice.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
@SaVAGeSoot, a gas powered leaf blower? Or electric? Probably only for dry powdery sissy snow. Not gonna work for real heavy snow. But it will keep the leaf blower in use thru the inclement weather.
I've only ever seen electric "cordless" stuff, but if you want to use a gas one, either a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke will do! ;)

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
A leaf blower ... no matter the power source won't do jack for heavy wet snow. Best to be prepared with a more viable option.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,866 Posts
I see you still can't read.... since I never said anything about heavy wet snow, or ice, or a 6ft dumping like they got in Buffalo recently.....
It was a general statement. Nothing directed at you. Go have a Coke.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Powder snow is mainly found on top of ski runs. Everywhere else gets wet heavy snow. I am trying to picture driving AND parking your Touareg on top of a ski run just to be able to use a leaf blower to clear that powdery snow off of it.

·
Registered
'14 TDI Execline
2,978 Posts
Get back into your igloo and quit pretending that you even have a blower... how would you even recharge it when you don't even have electricity on top of your ski hill where you live! :unsure:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts