Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't be delusional...... light & strong wheels, will not be cheap.
You want cheap, you will end up with China Pigs that will crack if you stare at them too hard.......
Your best option in terms of balance is OEM wheels.... from whatever fits the bill. Used is where it's at.
Wheels need to be load rated for SUVs - many aftermarket wheels which superficially fit are meant for Golfs and Polos.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
^This makes sense... I guess thats why the 5x130 are all so expensive. I'm head over heals for these Voresteiners lol.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been to some tire shops that would not touch my vehicles that had spacers, so that could pose another issue. Not against the idea, but just something to consider.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ya that point was brought up a bit ago and what worried me, something I hadn't thought of. These trucks are heavy and probably shouldn't be running aluminum spacers

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been to some tire shops that would not touch my vehicles that had spacers, so that could pose another issue. Not against the idea, but just something to consider.
The problem with spacers is simple. The wheel bolts have a torque criteria and add the second torque setting for the spacer. Each has a +/- so you have compounding variance and add the fact that our vehicles are heavy and AWD. The wider the spacer... the more pressure is put on the hub.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The units I've been looking at were adapters, but there were only half inch aluminum

·
Registered
11 Posts
On a related and perhaps important note, make sure the rims clear your calipers.

I have a 2014 TDI Lux and went to great lengths to find 17" 5 x 130 rims with a 60mm offset. These rims, the Toil 450 by Ultra Wheels, should have fit easily. When the dealer was installing the they did not clear the calipers. After a brief discussion with the manufacturer they said "wait, is it a Lux? Those brakes are larger than the other models". While this sounded fishy, I realized that the tire guys would rather sell me rims than return them.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but may save a headache.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On a related and perhaps important note, make sure the rims clear your calipers.

I have a 2014 TDI Lux and went to great lengths to find 17" 5 x 130 rims with a 60mm offset. These rims, the Toil 450 by Ultra Wheels, should have fit easily. When the dealer was installing the they did not clear the calipers. After a brief discussion with the manufacturer they said "wait, is it a Lux? Those brakes are larger than the other models". While this sounded fishy, I realized that the tire guys would rather sell me rims than return them.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but may save a headache.
That does would like BS... the T3’s have the same brakes. The wheels Vorsteiners have a +45mm vs the OEM Porsche which are +50.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I can't understand why anyone in here is discussing offset without mentioning rim width. +50mm on a 9" wide is very different than +50mm 7" wide for example.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My ‘14Touareg came with 20s; love the looks, hate the ride, not that happy about the weight, very hard to get wheels bolted on and not get SWS (follow TSB to the letter, etc), and almost never let wife drive it since she is semi unaware of potholes (of which this area of Maine is loaded, paying taxes for what exactly?)
I got a set of decent 18s from a Q7 for winters, ride is much better due to increase in side wall height, and tire/wheel combo is a few pounds lighter, 0 SWS.
This past summer I picked up a set of 18 Cayenne 5 spokes. Less expensive tires, overall less unsprung weight, and like the aesthetics. 20s still look nicer but on balance I’m happy with the trade offs.

I spent a lot of time looking for light, strong, and reasonably priced wheels; pick 2, your not getting all 3.
Best aftermarket 5x130, hub centric, strong, and reasonably light wheels I found with a look that I liked are made by Braid. Not inexpensive (less than BBS but not much). Didn’t see anything on Tire Rack that I cared for looks wise or that met my personal requirements of hub centric without rings and probable strength/durability.

The weight of Touareg combined with their propensity for SWS, I cant see using anything but an OEM Touareg, Q7, or Cayenne wheel.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sidewall and tire type does a lot when it comes to cushion ... I just put my 255/60R18s winters on yesterday, and if I run them at the recommended pressure as per door sticker, it feels like I'm on pillows compared to my 20s that I run at full pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thank
Sidewall and tire type does a lot when it comes to cushion ... I just put my 255/60R18s winters on yesterday, and if I run them at the recommended pressure as per door sticker, it feels like I'm on pillows compared to my 20s that I run at full pressure.
Thank god I don't have to swap wheels out for winter... it's either hotter than the surface of the sun or raining down in Miami.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Snow up to my shaft this morning. I wouldn't have it any other way.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts