Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wheel selections in our size, 5x130, are ridiculous (very expensive and very heavy), I'm going to go with easy to find 5x112 and then use an adapter in the form of a spacer. I'm going to need help finding proper offset though. I think the minimum size adapter I can find (that I TRUST) is around a half inch. What offset wheels would I need to maintain stockish offset?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
What material are you looking at?
You will need to specify your new wheel width in order to sort out the offset required.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the wheels I'm probably but not certainly getting are going to be Neuspeed
Size - 19x8.5 (stock sizing)
Unsure of the stock everest wheel offset
Pretty sure most of the materials in the spacers is aluminum
The spacer/lug conversions I'm gonna wear about 15mm though

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with an AL adapter at such small thickness, especially without know material grade, etc. on this heavy of a vehicle.... but it's not me....
I can't even see how you'll be able to use a 15mm adapter since the wheel bolt heads alone will "eat that up".
Your OEM wheels will have the offset stamped (or cast) on the inside of the spokes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Since the wheel selections in our size, 5x130, are ridiculous (very expensive and very heavy), I'm going to go with easy to find 5x112 and then use an adapter in the form of a spacer. I'm going to need help finding proper offset though. I think the minimum size adapter I can find (that I TRUST) is around a half inch. What offset wheels would I need to maintain stockish offset?

Maybe this wheel size calculator can help with some of your planning, if you can feed it the right input dimensions:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a good point.. I can also get the spacer in 3/4" and 1".. I didn't want to go too large though as that would push my wheels way out, unless I find some kinda offset to bring them back in. I know VERY little about wheel fitment.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Your OEM wheel
You'll need something like a 72mm offset if you go with a 1/2" adapter, and exponentially more bonkers if you go to 3/4 or 1"..... you won't find anything off the shelf to satisfy these requirements. Go back to finding a wheel that you like in the existing bolt pattern. The path you're going down will not be cost effective at all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
"I know VERY little about wheel fitment" - the biggest reason of all to stick with an OEM wheel rather than messing it up and risking the lives of your passengers and other road users!

There are plenty of VW, Audi and Porsche wheels that fit the Generation 1 and 2 Touaregs for you to choose from.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough. Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it. Seemed like it was a pretty easy task at first, but no so much anymore. I'll just stick within the bolt-pattern.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats interesting. Can I swap their hubs in??

·
Registered
218 Posts
For what it’s worth I have a set of Vorsteiners with a Porsche offset and they’re light, not terribly expensive. I tend to avoid spacers if they’re not hubcentic. For your to run 5x112, you’d have to get a spacer that’s as thick as the lugs are long and or you might have to use traditional studs for the spacers and bolts to install the wheels on the hub.

21x10 +45

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what it’s worth I have a set of Vorsteiners with a Porsche offset and they’re light, not terribly expensive. I tend to avoid spacers if they’re not hubcentic. For your to run 5x112, you’d have to get a spacer that’s as thick as the lugs are long and or you might have to use traditional studs for the spacers and bolts to install the wheels on the hub.

21x10 +45

This looks damn good. I think I looked into these but they were either heavy or expensive. I'll check again.. they look sexy and classy as hell on your ride.

Why not just get custom wheels if cost isn't a factor?
if cost wasn't a factor I'd just grab some BBS for a grand a piece lol. Cost is def. a factor. I live in the country and work in the city.. I need a stout wheel that can handle potholes and sharp turning etc, but dont want to pay more than $500/wheel absolute TOPS

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy crap the Vorsteiners are LIGHT, but, definitely expensive.. $2k-2700 for a 4 wheel set

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was going for something very specific with my wheel upgrade - weight loss. Th stock Everest weigh-in around 35-36lbs/piece. The Vorsteiners 100% fit the bill, weighing in at 20-22lbs/piece..direct fit and everything.. but they definitely come as more of a cost than I initially wanted. This may be the way to go though.. hands down they're the best looking wheels i've found for the Touareg and they look classy as hell.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Don't be delusional...... light & strong wheels, will not be cheap.
You want cheap, you will end up with China Pigs that will crack if you stare at them too hard.......
Your best option in terms of balance is OEM wheels.... from whatever fits the bill. Used is where it's at.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was going for something very specific with my wheel upgrade - weight loss. Th stock Everest weigh-in around 35-36lbs/piece. The Vorsteiners 100% fit the bill, weighing in at 20-22lbs/piece..direct fit and everything.. but they definitely come as more of a cost than I initially wanted. This may be the way to go though.. hands down they're the best looking wheels i've found for the Touareg and they look classy as hell.
They’re flow forged so they’re durable, not Volks durable but plenty strong for our purposes and accept VW TPMS without any issues. Make sure you get the correct length lugs, they use a conical type.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They’re flow forged so they’re durable, not Volks durable but plenty strong for our purposes and accept VW TPMS without any issues. Make sure you get the correct length lugs, they use a conical type.
Honestly you sold me on the Vorsteiners.. the looks on your ride are just incredible. I'm gonna suck it up and drop the change on them. Thank you on the conical information

Don't be delusional...... light & strong wheels, will not be cheap.
You want cheap, you will end up with China Pigs that will crack if you stare at them too hard.......
Your best option in terms of balance is OEM wheels.... from whatever fits the bill. Used is where it's at.
True this. A 5200lb truck is a lot different than buying wheels for a car that weighs a few thousand pounds less

1 - 20 of 38 Posts