Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and am hoping someone can help me out or even lead me in the right direction. I have a 2008 touareg V6 and the problem started about 2 weeks ago. While driving the vehicle during normal conditions the RPM s shot up to about 5 grand while the MPR dropped to about 10 and wouldn't go any faster making me have to pull over and turn the vehicle off. After starting the vehicle back on it drove fine for about another 1/2 mile then did the whole rev thing again. I was eventually able to make it home after taking it to a repair shop twice they said it was fixed and it was due to a vacuum leak. Well, less than a day and it did the whole thing all over again. To be able to make it home this time I switched the tranny in to "sport mode" and found that the gear select was NOT showing up on the instrument panel and the vehicle drove as if it was still in "automatic" and drove fine. So when I have to drive the vehicle as long as I put the gear select in manual it will drive fine without me having to shift the gears. I have been trying to find answers as to why it may be doing this and believe it is a bad TCM. any thoughts and help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Did you read the fault codes? If not, do so. There's no point in guessing when the car can actually tell you "where it hurts".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply,
Unfortunately there aren't any fault codes being given off or any warning lights. Yes, all of the dash lights do work so I'm at a loss as to what it could be. That's why I'm thinking it's electrical and might be the TCM. I actually did take it to AMCO one of our shops that specializes in transmissions and the guy there told me they don't work on Volkswagons. Thanks again for any suggestions or help with this matter

·
Registered
785 Posts
What tool are you using to check for fault codes? Is it able to access the TCM in the first place, or is it just a generic OBD reader which might only catch engine and emission faults?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what tool or machine the shop I took it to was using but I'm now guessing it wasn't one that reads the TCM Appreciate all the feedback with this Gnits

1 - 5 of 5 Posts