Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey people! I just got my '08 T-Rex out of the shop and needed some fuel/ gas saving ideas?!! With all the talks about gas price will go up and such, any ideas out there? And I hope I posted this in the right section :confused:

P.S. Do you have to use Premium gas for the T-Rex?
Thanks yal!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I try to drive downhill whenever possible :rolleyes:

I've changed the tires to the Grabber UHPs, which are much larger, that's about all. Over two years I've gone from 24 mpg on the computer leaving the dealership to around 18. I'm at the 40k service, which seems to mean only $800 sparkplugs. I haven't done it yet and I'm supposing when I do the mileage will improve :confused:

The V6 can really be taxed if you expect this 3 ton vehicle to keep up with all the sport coupes on the road. It can, but there is a price!

I think my loss in mileage is due to me becoming more comfortable with driving a large vehicle and getting heavy on the pedal. Try to keep the amount of junk out of the back end to lighten the load.

A coworker swears by Lucas fuel treatment in his Landcruiser. +5 mpg is his record. Not trying to hijack the tread, but has anyone had luck increasing their mpg with it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ThePhonex: have you noticed any difference in performance and MPG with the two types? And I'm def easy on the gas paddle haha!
Traillab: I have the Chevron fuel injector cleaning things that I got from Costco, dunno if that works?

Also, I put my gear in neutral when I'm going down hill and going slow when I go up hill (with no traffic behind me that is).

Anything else? lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
ThePhonex: have you noticed any difference in performance and MPG with the two types? And I'm def easy on the gas paddle haha!
Traillab: I have the Chevron fuel injector cleaning things that I got from Costco, dunno if that works?

Also, I put my gear in neutral when I'm going down hill and going slow when I go up hill (with no traffic behind me that is).

Anything else? lol
Keeping on top of tire pressure can help!

You should keep your car in gear going downhill though. Not that it will really run away like a big truck or anything, but brake jobs on these things are expensive and its generally a very unsafe driving misconception. Coasting downhill in gear doesnt burn much more fuel than simply idling; it wont hurt the thing to run it at a higher rpm/lower gear to hold its speed when you're coasting downhill either :cool:

Use manual shifting and watch your current fuel consumption on the MFI. With a light foot, I find my 05 V8 likes to shift late when climbing a hill in auto mode... which wastes gas. Too high of a gear going uphill will lug and burn more fuel than a lower gear/higher rpm with a lighter throttle load.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeping on top of tire pressure can help!

You should keep your car in gear going downhill though. Not that it will really run away like a big truck or anything, but brake jobs on these things are expensive and its generally a very unsafe driving misconception. Coasting downhill in gear doesnt burn much more fuel than simply idling; it wont hurt the thing to run it at a higher rpm/lower gear to hold its speed when you're coasting downhill either :cool:

Use manual shifting and watch your current fuel consumption on the MFI. With a light foot, I find my 05 V8 likes to shift late when climbing a hill in auto mode... which wastes gas. Too high of a gear going uphill will lug and burn more fuel than a lower gear/higher rpm with a lighter throttle load.

Hope that helps!
Thanks sirjeff! I've noticed the problem with auto gear shifting, too. The auto responds too slow when you're starting off at a red light or going up/downhill, it's really annoying, especially when you're trying to get on the highway after stopping at a red light...

·
Registered
689 Posts
FYI, most modern fuel injector vehicles will deactivate the injectors on deceleration like going downhill = no fuel used! This is better for mileage than putting it in neutral since there has to be fuel used to keep the motor idling. ;)

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
....plus keeping it in neutral going downhills would make me paranoid that our slush box transmissions might not like that at all in the long term. No hard facts to back that up, but just saying'.

With my AXQ V8, I don't seem to find much of a difference in fuel economy driving it super light, or moderately. It doesn't seem to make a difference at all surprisingly. I therefore just drive it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts