Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should I expect the tailgate gas struts to last? I replaced mine just over 2 years ago with VW parts and the pair for the glass section have failed.

Are there any aftermarket struts worth considering or stick with the VW ones?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
In VW's opinion like many other components they are "fit for life".

Life in VW's opinion is as long as the vehicle is under warranty. After that they do not care. They expect you to buy a new model. This is VW's operating model and it is well known globally.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Four years on mine . . .

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I know of another member who replaced the struts and had them fail within 3 years.
I see the issue as most likely the struts we are getting from VW are stock made quite a few years ago and have been sitting on the shelf waiting for a buyer. In this time which could be possibly 6-8 years or maybe longer given that the first Touareg was made 2003 the gas charge has been very slowly leaking and the seals are hardening so potentially you fit a strut even though it is new to you it is actually say 5 years old then you use it for 3 years and its stuffed and really 8 years old.
This is a theory only and it would be interesting to see if the struts have a manufactured date on them

regards
Drag

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I guess it isn't only the engines with more emissions than expected.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts