Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 VW Touareg has been smelling like gas for a while. Noticeable when the Touareg is parked in the garage over night, and even sometimes when entering the vehicle in an open parking lot or retrieving items from the driver side rear door.

Doing some research here shows a few threads with others that have experienced similar issues.

Here's one: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/gas-leak-41091-3.html#post358708

I tore into the Touareg today to get a feel for what's going on.

I only found a couple pictures online of what others have done (in replacing fuel pumps, mostly) so I started snapping pictures. I thought I'd try something new and post my how-to up on ifixit as they have a pretty slick documentation system for how-to guides.

It's a work in progress. Check out the link here: Repairing Touareg Gas Leak

Next steps are to order some parts and see if I can get this addressed....
Plan is:
7L0 919 679 - flange with fuel filter (based on the notes in the linked post above)
8E0 919 133 G - seal rings for both driver and passenger side

I'm hoping that's it. Anyone have any tips?

Any thoughts on documenting this in the ifixit site vs directly in the forum? I've done several how-to's in the forums here, VWVortex, and TDIClub - ifixit is something new for me. It's appealing since it's geared directly at this kind of documentation, they host the images, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
So far so good.

The drivers side that was clean with fuel on it will be leaking at the "nipple" right in the center of the dome.

It is possible to do the filter (or pump) without removing the seat back. Just have to use a wobble to get some of the seatbelt bolts out, and then prop the seatbelt bracket up out of the way (I use a piece of 2x4).

Lastly, this job is 1million times better to do under 1/4 of a tank than with a full tank.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So far so good.

The drivers side that was clean with fuel on it will be leaking at the "nipple" right in the center of the dome.

It is possible to do the filter (or pump) without removing the seat back. Just have to use a wobble to get some of the seatbelt bolts out, and then prop the seatbelt bracket up out of the way (I use a piece of 2x4).

Lastly, this job is 1million times better to do under 1/4 of a tank than with a full tank.
Yes - the leak is coming from the top of the dome. I see a 1/8" long crack at the very top (and some other cracks elsewhere on the dome but don't appear to be leaking).

More pics posted to the ifixit tutorial on step 11 shortly...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm up and running. I've documented the work over at iFixit. Check out the link here:

iFixit - Touareg Gas Leak Repair

I ordered a new fuel filter assembly from World Impex, along with new fuel tank gaskets. I'm on hold while I order a gasket for an electrical connector that was destroyed due to the excessive gas around the vehicle.

I can at least drive it again. More to follow when I finally wrap this up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gas Leak

my 2005 touareg has developed a gas leak.I first noticed it by a strong smell of gas when i pulled into my garage after just filling the tank. I didn't see anything leaking on the garage floor. I pulled the covers off for both fuel pumps under the rear seat. there is no evidence of them leaking. But you can see where gas has leaked from further back on top the tank. after it gets lower on gas the smell goes away. And when i filled it again the smell was back. Anybody have a clue before i take it to the shop.. Oh and i got a check engine lite coded po455 which is telling me i have a leak..

·
Registered
16 Posts
2nd time needing to change the Gas Filter on my 04 V6 Treg

You need to replace sending unit (contains fuel filter) which is located behind the Drives Seat (USA 2004 V6 GAS). I found this you Tube that shows the problem.
. I replaced mine in 2010 with 100K miles. Now my 2004 Treg started stalling stalling again (without a gas smell). So I am replacing the gas fuel filter. Fuel Filter (2004 v6, you only need one, driver side): $93. It was so black & clogged it caused my car to stop. Note the Fuel pumps are strong and I am told rarely need to be replaced. Just the filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yesterday I saw what appeared to be a 2005 Treg go up in huge flames (engine compartment) on Sunrise Hwy in Great River NY. This is no joke! While it appears the driver escaped safely, I am not 100% certain this was the problem. However I cannot believe that VW has not stepped up and offered repair services for this apparently common issue. Safety needs to be the #1 priority for any automaker, one would think VW would take notice. As for my 2011 Treg I will monitor things more closely. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just finished replacing the filter and both pumps on my '04 v6 gas Treg (79k miles). I had the "run 20 seconds, then stall" problem. My filter was VERY black. I read in another post that the black color comes from the carbon brushes in the pumps. Since I didn't want to have to go back in, I replaced EVERYTHING. Here's my tip - the pumps can be purchased through an eBay store called carpartswholesale. Cost for both pumps was $200.20 (around $100 each). Unfortunately they did not have the filter, which I bought somewhere else for $87.50. Both orders showed up 2 days later - excellent service. One problem - the connector on the long hose that goes from the secondary pump over to the filter was the wrong size. I re-traced all the lines and was sure that everything was hooked up correctly, so I took the connector off the old pump and installed it on the end of the hose. Car started up and runs perfectly at all speeds. I'm going to tear the pumps down to see how the brushes look - will post that in a week or so. But honestly, if you have anywhere near 100k miles and your filter is black, I'd recommend that you change the pumps while you're in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As for the fire discussed in the previous posts, I agree with Crazyhippy (being a conservative it pains me to say that) that an engine compartment fire can't be blamed on a tiny leak in the back of the car. But, I must say that I was very surprised to find those fuel pump electrical connectors in the tank - they are not insulated at all - seems like a fire waiting to happen... Can anyone explain?

·
Registered
129 Posts
As for the fire discussed in the previous posts, I agree with Crazyhippy (being a conservative it pains me to say that) that an engine compartment fire can't be blamed on a tiny leak in the back of the car. But, I must say that I was very surprised to find those fuel pump electrical connectors in the tank - they are not insulated at all - seems like a fire waiting to happen... Can anyone explain?
Very common...

There is considerably less resistance for the electrical current to flow thru the pump than to arc across 1" of fuel.

Even if you wished to insulate the connections, what would you use? Remember it is submerged in fuel and subject to vibrations from both the pump, and the sloshing fuel...

Btw Crazyhippy has nothing to do with politics. I own guns, eat meat, think burning fuel for fun is perfectly acceptable, and even took a shower this morning ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
The connectors for the pump are at the top of the tank, so they are up in the vapors most of the time. If there was corrosion on the pins then the current draw from the pump motor would generate heat... Just speculating - this is the first time I've ever done any work inside a gas tank. If you tell me it's common, then I believe you, especially now that I know you're not a veggie eating, tree hugging smelly peacenik. (JUST JOKING, EVERYONE)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel Pumps are Strong?

I just tore down the pumps I removed over a week ago. The brushes on the secondary pump are twice the length of those in the primary, which had very little life left on them at 79k miles. Not sure what the original length was, but if they wore another 1/16" (or less) it would be into the braided wire. The secondary pump brushes had over 1/4" before they'd be worn to that extent. So, if you're near 80-100k miles, and you are changing the filter and/or housing, I think it would be wise to change out the primary fuel pump, which is on the same side as the filter (on the V6 gas Treg).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted thank you for the superb information you placed on fixit.com. I was able to diagnose the issue and make the repairs for small money which is important because this is my moms car and she is retired and on a fixed income, I hate to see what the dealer would quote for this repair!

This forum along with Vortex has been very valuable for troubleshooting, finding parts and tools and making repairs to her 2004 Touareg V8, which BTW is an incredible machine but likely overly complicated...

Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts