Club Touareg Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
cruise set at 78 yielded 23 mpg.
Dimensionally the tires are the same exact size though? So likely the speedo isn't off. You hand crunch your mileage every tank?

I wonder how much the new wheels weigh. The stock wheels weigh around 31lbs.. wonder if your new ones are even heavier, which could def. hurt mpg.

I think the idea of a 'leadfoot' varies greatly from one to the next though.. so that isn't a helpful description for me
Good questions. Calculated mileage makes a big difference. The quality of diesel seems to make a difference also.

I thought the wheel weight only hurt during acceleration from stand still. Tire pressure could also be an issue. Confirm they are actually at 35 psi with an external source.

One of my employees told me he wasn't a lead foot either, but was only getting 17 mpg in his Cherokee (not Grand). I rode with him. He is correct. He wasn't a lead foot, but mph varied 5 mph slow down, speed up, slow down speed up. I told him to start using the cruise control to see what that would net. Sure enough that fixed his mpg. At least with Matthew, he states he had the cruise set.

:unsure: I would change the oil, check the air filter and possibly the fuel filter. Something is forcing your T'reg to work harder then it has to. I also know that my Exec gets 29 mpg with mostly "highway" driving. Interstate seems to do about the same if I keep it under 75. I always have my MPG per tank displayed so when it starts to drop then I know I am doing something wrong or need to change something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed the oil a few weeks ago, using the proper spec. Tires are at 38 PSI all around. First tank of fuel was purchased at my usual cardlock station in Ca, two other tanks were purchased at Loves. Loves sometimes sells B20 at the pump, this pump was marked D2.

Air filter is new, fuel filter was changed 10k ago.

I think it is the wheels. I should measure their width. They belong on a Porsche 911.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Run more tanks through it. Measure and weigh the wheels. Always run diesel kleen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've owned it for over 10k miles, this is par for the course. I've measured every tank that it's had, 23-25 is it. Throw in some heat and A/C use and it drops to 22 on the highway as I saw last summer. Wheels are 11" wide, I measured today.

Should have added...I've run Stantadyne additive through most every tank I've put in it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I sent out my old laptop a while ago and haven't heard from Joe. I'm hoping everything is ok with him health wise. He's a real nice guy and a huge contributor to our community.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd definitely like to get on the list as well for both fixes, whenever things are recovered! My '11 basically spends no time in D7/8 and the fuel economy is suffering on the highway.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'd definitely like to get on the list as well for both fixes, whenever things are recovered! My '11 basically spends no time in D7/8 and the fuel economy is suffering on the highway.

Your car not entering 7 and 8 has nothing to do with your tcu. My fixed tcu will go into 8th somewhere around 50. You've got bigger problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your car not entering 7 and 8 has nothing to do with your tcu. My fixed tcu will go into 8th somewhere around 50. You've got bigger problems
I'm climbing mountains. When I'm down in the flats it will sit in 8, but it hasn't stayed up there going uphill since the fix last December. Holding a speed up I-70 takes much more throttle than before.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Interesting. I don't have experience climbing mountains but we have some fairly steep 'hills' on the east coast and I still hold 8th going up most of them. But you're saying pre-fix tcu this was NOT a problem 🤔

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting. I don't have experience climbing mountains but we have some fairly steep 'hills' on the east coast and I still hold 8th going up most of them. But you're saying pre-fix tcu this was NOT a problem
I have real mountains near me...definitely won't hold 7th or 8th on a steep grade unless you are already hauling ass.... my tcu is pre-fixed.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove a pre-fix T3 prior to buying mine, and at 70mph it would hold D8 going up until over 10,000ft elevation. Maybe something is going weird with mine, but it seems to drive "normally" otherwise

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have real mountains near me...definitely won't hold 7th or 8th on a steep grade unless you are already hauling ass.... my tcu is pre-fixed.

I was on some pretty steep mountain grades yesterday. Doing 80mph/130kph, it would hold 8th on a 6 to 8 percent grade. RPM was approximately 2000.

I know it would definitely downshift to 6th at 60mph/100kph

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any word on yrktreg's surgery? Is he ok after it?
I sent Joe my ECU and TCM after his surgery about 5 months ago. I had to send my ECU back and forth to him a couple times. He said there was a hidden Easter egg or something and he’d have to do more research. I’ve sent him a few messages and haven’t heard back. Hope everything is ok.

·
Registered
927 Posts
He hasn't been on here in months now. I too hope that he's alright

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wanted to add some new data. I replaced the 20" aftermarket wheels with OE 20" touareg wheels. Unfortunately I also added Malone stage 2 at nearly the same time. Just returned from a 2000 mile trip. Cruise set at 78/80 now yields (by hand) in the neighborhood of 26 mpg. This is usually with the A/C on, too. Slower roads and speeds will get around 29, again hand calc'd. The computer calculator is usually very close, within .25 mpg.

Very glad to have this sorted better now, the added power is much appreciated. I also have the TCU tune.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts