Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It would go back to the pre-fix software. Would obviously fix the missing torque that has been neutered in the fixed version.

I'm trying to decide which is best:
1)Keep the fixed software revision number. So at first glance a dealer would think it has been fixed. This which would be detectable to a dealership if they looked into it hard enough though because it would change the calibration number.

2)Keep the pre-fix software number. So a dealership would see it as a stock pre-fixed ECU and this would prevent your car getting TD1 flagged as possibly being tuned and voiding your warranty.
I think #2, but want more opinions, or I could do either as an option.

Either way should you have to take say a #2 ecu into the dealer for warranty work, and they would reflash it back to fixed version I would only charge for shipping to anyone that has already purchased this from me.

Now the caveat the ecu's are a pain to get out (see PDF and security bolts).
Unless you can be without your car for a few days I would have to first send you a loaner. You install the loaner ECU, and send me your ECU back for programming. I then send you your original ECU back. You install your original ECU back in, and then probably I will have you ship it directly to the next person in line.
This is a little different than what we are doing with the TCM's obviously.
This is due to the immobilizer that is in the ECU's that is tied to your car.

Thoughts everyone??:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK Can't change the first post, so i'll add an option #3 here.

After spending yesterday doing a bunch more research this is what I can do

Basically it would be a pre-fix but would keep the fixed CVN, scanable software version, and the current flash counter would not be touched.

So in essence this would look to the motherland as nothing more than a fixed ECU on all accounts.

I would also like to add, that I have no idea if the pre-fix software will pass an emissions sniff test for those of you unfortunate enough to have a state that does that...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you sir, it was great working with you...

I'm working on a stock ECU solution BTW
Hi,

I didn't want to hijack your TCM thread so I'll bring the reply here. My main concern is denial of warranty. How could I explain a pre-fix ECU when the dealer did the fix themselves prior to selling the vehicle to me? Especially if they dug in and saw evidence of ECU tampering (tool marks, non OEM security bolts, whatever.)

Clearly there is risk to warranty when doing certain aftermarket work. I understand that. I'm familiar with but certainly not an expert on Magnuson-Moss so I don't really know how much protection it gives in this sort of situation.

I guess my initial thought is, if I'm risking the warranty may as well go for the gusto with a Malone stage II. Change my mind.:grin:

On edit: You posted your new option as I was composing this. That does change the calculus for me.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

I didn't want to hijack your TCM thread so I'll bring the reply here. My main concern is denial of warranty. How could I explain a pre-fix ECU when the dealer did the fix themselves prior to selling the vehicle to me? Especially if they dug in and saw evidence of ECU tampering (tool marks, non OEM security bolts, whatever.)

Clearly there is risk to warranty when doing certain aftermarket work. I understand that. I'm familiar with but certainly not an expert on Magnuson-Moss so I don't really know how much protection it gives in this sort of situation.

I guess my initial thought is, if I'm risking the warranty may as well go for the gusto with a Malone stage II. Change my mind.:grin:

On edit: You posted your new option as I was composing this. That does change the calculus for me.
:) You can purchase, or it would probably make more sense if I supplied the tamper proof bolts for re-installation.

I agree with you in that I am going to the extreme. Bigger turbo, and eliminating as much as I can to avoid future problems with it, Malone stage 30,000 tune, etc :grin2:

Some people have asked about just going back to the old software to gain torque back.
I'm just trying to offer options and see what makes the most sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK Can't change the first post, so i'll add an option #3 here.

After spending yesterday doing a bunch more research this is what I can do

Basically it would be a pre-fix but would keep the fixed CVN, scanable software version, and the current flash counter would not be touched.

So in essence this would look to the motherland as nothing more than a fixed ECU on all accounts.

I would also like to add, that I have no idea if the pre-fix software will pass an emissions sniff test for those of you unfortunate enough to have a state that does that...
To achieve this stealth, does one have to send his original ECU for flashing and wait for the turnaround or will the system that you use with the TCM swap work?

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
Did the T3 loose that much with the fix? My '10 doesn't seem any different other than weird shifting on cold start. I don't think I lost much if anything as far as power or economy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
How is this not flagging a TD1 condition? I assumed its a flash counter on the chip itself, not a manual flash count update? Being that VW seems to be ok with tunes to an extent, and Audi flagging the VIN for being warranty blacklisted!

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To achieve this stealth, does one have to send his original ECU for flashing and wait for the turnaround or will the system that you use with the TCM swap work?
A combo of the two.

I send you a loaner ECU. You install the loaner, and send me yours back for flashing.
I then send yours back for installation back in your car. You then send the loaner off to the next person in line.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the T3 loose that much with the fix? My '10 doesn't seem any different other than weird shifting on cold start. I don't think I lost much if anything as far as power or economy.
I'm guessing it's because the EPA levels were less strict for the T2's...?

The T3's really feel neutered especially when still coupled with the fixed TCM.

The peak rush of torque is gone and you can feel it is no longer there :serious:

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I'm guessing it's because the EPA levels were less strict for the T2's...?

The T3's really feel neutered especially when still coupled with the fixed TCM.

The peak rush of torque is gone and you can feel it is no longer there :serious:
Idk that it was less strict, but know they could not get them to where the were certified at. Guess they just did a reduction and made a compromise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is this not flagging a TD1 condition? I assumed its a flash counter on the chip itself, not a manual flash count update? Being that VW seems to be ok with tunes to an extent, and Audi flagging the VIN for being warranty blacklisted!
Great question. The CVN aka Calibration Verification Number, flash counter, and revision number will all remain the same after the flash. If I am missing something else that is checked please let me know so I can add it to the list :wink2:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm interested.
As a recent transplant to NJ, I'm not sure of the sniffer regs here. The other issue is I'm currently 400 miles in to a 120,000 mile warranty (IIRC) on the 'Fixed' Powertrain.
For the sniffer, if the whole point of DieselGate was that the 'cheating' was undetectable at a sniff test, I don't see how Option 3 would be a detectable change. Also, having just purchased it brand-new, I shouldn't need to have it tested for 5 years, right?

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested.
As a recent transplant to NJ, I'm not sure of the sniffer regs here. The other issue is I'm currently 400 miles in to a 120,000 mile warranty (IIRC) on the 'Fixed' Powertrain.
For the sniffer, if the whole point of DieselGate was that the 'cheating' was undetectable at a sniff test, I don't see how Option 3 would be a detectable change. Also, having just purchased it brand-new, I shouldn't need to have it tested for 5 years, right?
Not sure on NJ as we are luckily exempt here in PA.

Maybe someone will chime in, or check into it further.

And yes I agree with you on that it should pass in cheater mode, but since it is an unknown I just want people to be aware of it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure on NJ as we are luckily exempt here in PA.

Maybe someone will chime in, or check into it further.

And yes I agree with you on that it should pass in cheater mode, but since it is an unknown I just want people to be aware of it.
When it falls off the turbo, it really falls off, and that's really annoying. If the 'fix' fix fixes this 'fix' :D, I'm in.

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
I think I'm glad I own a Gen 1!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you know if there is any advantage to writing a Malone tune to a pre-fix ecu, or are they the same from a performance perspective once the Malone file is written? Also, do you know what the implications of the pre-fix software would be on the early gen2 cars that received the updated catalyst and other hardware?

thank you.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts