Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fuse card for 2005 (and every diagram) shows SC43 to be reverse lights, yet that position is empty(no electric contacts). Ive tried checking 2005, 2004, and 2007 diagrams all say same thing. I am trying to figure out why I have Iost my entire left side rear lights. I thought I blew a fuse for reverse since the socket was mangled but I cant even find a fuse to check. Ive tried checking "module" fuses for left and right but cant find any bad fuses,
Could i have a bad module? I have no brake, reverse or parking after trying to replace one bulb.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I had a similar issue. No lights on the left side (lhd drive). Ended up being the ccm. 50€ on eBay and no problems since.
But you should first check before deciding. One clue which helped me was putting a voltmeter on the brake bulb. When Brake pedal was pressed I was seeing 0 volt on the bulb socket. 12v when brake is released. 0 when applied. I had a used module ready to go because I had an issue with the third stop light being on all the time. I decided to try the module. I got an updated version. I have a thread about module versions over here. Will give the link later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess that begs the question, where are the light modules? and why are they called "comfort system" modules? Why does my fuse chart refer to Left & right CSM but I only find J393 "Central control" in the vw literature?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did a scan and it doesn't come up with faults, but it has no data available for my tail lights or break lights(two tail lights on rt are working though). live data does show brake switch working. my scanner does show a left and right light module in list but cant connect, so comfort module is what I am seeing the data from. wondering if light module talks to central module..

·
Registered
665 Posts
Prang , don’t know if this will help but thought I’d relay my experience to you. We have 2 facelift T1 Touareg’s. Both have had the upper 3rd brake light stop working. When the wife’s stopped working I bought a new brake light but that didn’t solve the problem. On our vehicles there is a wiring loom that runs thru the roof and out where the hatch hinge is on the right side. Opening and shutting the hatch over the years had caused the wires to weaken and finally severed (2) in her case and (5) in mine. The break point is inside where the hinge is. Huge pain to fix as all wires in loom have to be disconnected, headliner needs to be pulled down in back and loom needs to be pulled down thru hatch area to resplice wires.
Good luck, Mtnride

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been thinking of this possibility. This all seems to have started with the display telling me i had a burned bulb. changing bulb had no effect. 2 days later I had no brake lights, left tail lights or center light. and the system does not warn me anymore. guess im gonna start pulling panels soon as I get some diagrams. guessing sucks.

·
Registered
665 Posts
There are about 8 wires in this loom, 5 small gauge a 3 about the size of speaker wire. The way I discovered the was wiggling the harness at the hinge point, wires would make contact again and brake light would flicker on and off. Loom comes out of roof and into hatch. I imagine you could pull hatch trim follow and test related wires. There are four hinges and a loom in each. Since it’s your left side I would imagine it’s the far left hinge
IMG_2640.jpg

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The ccm is on the right side (lhd) above the wheel. You need to remove the trim to get to it. A bit hard to get to. Around 50$ on ebay. It was not showing any errors on mine. Left side light just went out. Third brake was always on I had to cut the wire. It could be the wiring around the tailgate hinge is messed up. I had to check on mine but all was good there. Only the glass hatch switch wire was damaged and ended up preventing the switch button from working. You can test all the lights with vcds. On mine the lights didn’t work during the tests. But I managed to open the glass hatch with vcds which confirmed the wiring issue. Perform the test and see if the lights are working.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
There are about 8 wires in this loom, 5 small gauge a 3 about the size of speaker wire. The way I discovered the was wiggling the harness at the hinge point, wires would make contact again and brake light would flicker on and off. Loom comes out of roof and into hatch. I imagine you could pull hatch trim follow and test related wires. There are four hinges and a loom in each. Since it’s your left side I would imagine it’s the far left hinge View attachment 238635

And like you said: to have a better look and check you need the headliner down a bit.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Module thread is here:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Here is a ccm cheaper than a diagnostic session at the dealer :)
But if you can check the wiring first why not. This saved my day and even my month :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, im afraid to put another ccm in until I check wires. guess I should order some lift struts while im in there. Can anyone recommend a brand (or discourage one)

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
That’s exactly what I did. Fixed wires, replaced struts and replaced ccm. I got stabilus brand, oem on the Treg I think. Around 120€. Get the whole set of 4.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
And get some sealant to seal the strut cover when putting it back. I used windscreen sealant.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Solution: It appears I was correct with my first assumption but the prints don't apply to my vehicle exactly and ran me in a circle. I thought I shorted out my backup socket and blew a fuse. My fuse panel diagram (came with the car) and all schematics I can find say I have a fuse at sc43. I don't, its empty and there are no contacts in the socket. I ripped the POS apart, broke my side panel because I didn't know you cant remove it from the car you have to remove the car from the panel. Got to my CCM and started doing pin out. Looks like at some point VW changed my reverse lights to SC14 which is also my all my brakes and left tail lights. CCM works fine (bought a spare i guess)
Now why is my spare tire storage a swimming pool?????? Why are my front carpets soaked???? It never ends with this thing...starting to think I should just get a lift kit and knobbys for my MK4 and tow treggy away...

Now that my side panel, cargo deck, rear seats and headliner are out, what else should I be doing(just did struts)?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Did you fix your lights?
Wet carpets and swimming pool in the spare tire are known issues and easy to fix.
I will put the links later.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Trunk/boot issue:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trunk/boot issue:

Thanks, yea the lights was just blown fuse. Just couldnt find the fuse because I don't have one...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Footwell issue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts