Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks, I just got mine there is a well set rubber O ring on the face abutting the oil pan. Can these be "torqued" I typically think of a torque wrench to have a socket on it. Prolly used em a torque wrench a couple times and I do not profess to be a DIY mechanic besides oil changes, filters easy stuff.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Torque specs are on their website. But I just tighten them 'right'. I hope you got the last version (two parts with o-ring).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
I chose the extractor method to change the oil and filter from the top.
I may leave a little oil in the sump, but when I tested the amount left in a 2002 Prius the oil was extracted BELOW the lip on the drain plug casting...
Instead of dripping from the hole when drained from below it was where I could just touch the oil with my pinkie down towards the bottom through the hole.
I did the same test with my 2009 and 2013 Jetta TDI s and had the same results.
Remember there are some ridges in the bottom of the sump that would prevent complete drainage anyway.
I did check the amount of oil I had to add to get to full to make sure it was reasonably drained and the numbers worked out right for me.
I even bought a test did stick to make sure I was correct. It IS hard to read, however. The remote read level indicator was happy as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ya I got the 2 and multiparts with o ring look s pretty well made and heavy duty. I not sure I want to want to mickey around with tools and oil distraction or worry about a bunch left n the sump. I am being proactive for dealer recommended maintenance anyway ? oz's of dirty oil left over is only half dirty per OEM specs anyway. I am sure they will let me under the rack to see how to take the front cover off to do an intermediate change. Service writer quoted me price for timing chains was scarey.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Just tensioner was over 2 grand!
Where is the tensioner located?
How does one get to it?
Seems like a "normal' quote to me.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kind of bringing back the dead with this post.

I installed a Fumoto, but I don't think like it.. This is on a 2013 TDI
How much clearance do you think is appropriate from Front to Back?
It's got about 1/2".

I assume the engine does not torque much if at all from forward and back.

Side to side yes as its on the Axis of the torque.

Also for a ref. in a phot of the proper drain plug and copper round/hollow crush washer. This whole this started with a oil change a "Quick" place that didn't use the correct washer and gave me leak. Also I believe the DRAIN PLUG is 1 time use also. Its a softer metal. Replacing the oil pan requires lifting the engine, the softer plug should fail 1st before stripping the pan. But this is just a guess.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Spend a little more and get an oil extractor and you can change the oil and filter from the top. Easier than the valve and it's risks.
I have used one for years and hundreds of thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
I use the Stahlbus version and have no problems. Unlike the Fumuto version which has an external valve that is open to the elements (ie. winter salt and snow &ice, I went with the Stahlbus because it has an external cap that covers the quick disconnect mechanism and the stack height is less for better clearance to cross member.

·
Registered
09 TDi
536 Posts
Is there a sort of schrader valve in there to allow you to connect the hose without making a mess...or if the cap should become undone to prevent oil loss

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,391 Posts
I believe the stahlbus version fits better in the Touareg. No clearance issues.

Here is the gif that TRespect just posted.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
786 Posts
I use the Fumoto F106SX and hose kit to drain oil, over 50K miles now- no issues. I don't have room for an oil extractor and air compressor.
I have a '16 V6 TDI. The difference between the Fumoto and the factory plug is an ounce or two, if that. If you drive the front on ramps, it's going to be pretty empty.
I didn't use the crush washer, just the o-rings.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I have both.
I have enough clearance on my 2004 V6 3.2. I use the fumoto for the oil plug and the stahlbus for the oil filter housing plug. I went back to the original filter housing plug as I noticed the stahlbus mod was not holding (custom o-ring issue and not a stahlbus issue). I plan to work on the filter housing to make stahlbus ready
BUT I tried to install both a fumoto and a stahlbus on a friends treg same engine (2003 vr6 3.2) and there was not enough clearance !!! I guess his engine was probably removed/reinstalled at a certain time and the guys messed stuff up. Or the had had some major chassis repairs.
I have a thread about my setup I’ll link later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the Fumoto F106SX and hose kit to drain oil, over 50K miles now- no issues. I don't have room for an oil extractor and air compressor.
I have a '16 V6 TDI. The difference between the Fumoto and the factory plug is an ounce or two, if that. If you drive the front on ramps, it's going to be pretty empty.
I didn't use the crush washer, just the o-rings.
Thanks, this is a little bit of assurance .

I'm also tight for space.. apartment living. Started using a local DIY garage, $30hr for a lift, they have all the tools and will help with anything. I've replace the brakes, rotors, diff. and transfer case fluids. Fuel filter, Air filter and Injector seals are shade tree jobs.

Drain plug washer came with the kit from Blauparts. I have it as a backup.

No crush washer used either just the O-ring's, as I tighten it the rotation feature stopped working.
I removed the absorbent pad on undercarriage panel, it was full of oil and only hides leaks IMHO. Going to put 3000+ miles on it in the next 30 days, if it starts acting up I hope to see a drip right away.
Clearance is still eating at me.. I going keep my eye on it, watch for any wear/rub marks.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts