Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2005 2.4 Touareg.

In the recent cold weather sitting in traffic, I am getting really bad fumes in the cabin. I have taken it to a VW dealer who says there are no problems with the exhaust and they cannot find anything on the computer test. I can here the pre heater running even when the engine is at temperature, it does cut in and out, but surely it should not run when the exterior ambient temperature is over 5c which it is.......

On the UK forum ( where I am if you hadn't guessed ) the moderator suggested the A/C filter could be clogged ....

Any suggestions

Lee in london

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not familiar with your engine but on the petrol engines the crankcase breather tubes can crack and the fume drawn into the cabin. If possible have the intake manifold smoke tested to reveal any damaged lines/hoses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exhaust fumes in cabin

If your treg is a R5 engine 2.5Tdi, your problem could be a cracked exhaust manifold as I have suffered this misfortune on 2006 2.5tdi altitude. I took it to the dealer who supplied this car and previous treg both new and a cost over 70K. As my 2006 treg was 3 months out of warranty with only 37K miles aand a full useless service history, I was informed that there wouldn't be any good will and I would have to foot the full bill for the repair. I even had to show the technician where the cracks were.
I asked the service dept if they had experienced this problem before and was told never just my bad luck.
I have since removed the manifold and bolted it to a jig and had it rewelded so far so good. Attached some photos once I had removed the manifold I found 4 out of 5 were cracked, if you look down from top of engine I could see a hairline black carbon line just at flange onto manifold at cylinders 4 an 5.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lee,

I am not sure what you mean by bad smells but my experience started out with a rotten smell inside the cabin. Looking back at all this I think my bad coil packs could have had something to do with all that. Unburnt fuel etc. Some here suggested a bad cat converter but after 8 new coil packs the treg is as good as new.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts