Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my problem. I just bought a 04 touareg for a run around vehicle. It has factory hids but the bulbs were replaced at some stage with cheap Chinese D1S bulbs. I just put in a set of osram bulbs, they are no better than the cheap ones, they are straingly dim. When I push the lever forward to put on my fulls, the hids get brighter, if i pull the lever to flash someone let's say a second bulb in the headlight comes on which must be my full beams. Is there a wire crossed somewhere that is making less power go to the hids or is this the way the lights are suppose to be set up.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
You need to buy new left and right headlight assemblies. The reflector bowl in the hid projector is burnt and no longer reflective. Sadly, this is a common problem. :(

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yes. The lever turns on halogen lights built into the hid headlights. Those halogen bulbs are where the increase in brightness is coming from. It is not coming from the hid bulbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. The lever turns on halogen lights built into the hid headlights. Those halogen bulbs are where the increase in brightness is coming from. It is not coming from the hid bulbs.
Sorry I might not be expecting it properly. If I park behind another vehicle and push the lever I can see the hids getting brighter. If I pull the lever I see the halogen bulb light up. The halogen bulb does not light up when I push the lever forward. So that's why I'm thinking there is a crossed wire somewhere. I have even got out to have a look after I push the lever forward and the halogen is never on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Is there a reason the hids get brighter when I push the lever forward to turn on my high beams.
In bi-xenons both the low and high beam are produced by the same xenon bulb. The difference between these is, that when you only have the low beam on, a shutter masks off the top part of the light beam, so it only shines right in front of you, and when you put on the high beam, the shutter gets completely out of the way, allowing the full beam to exit straight out forward.

So, the hid bulb getting apparently brighter (observed from outside of the headlight assembly) with high beams on is completely normal. And the bulb is not only getting brighter, but it is now emitting light in a different, broader and more straight out pattern than it is when only the low beam is on.

If your headlight appears dim, that might be because the projector is dirty. If the dirt/dust is on the backside of the projector lens, you might be able to clean it by taking out the bulb and carefully reaching in with a microfiber cloth on a stick or something. However, if it's on the outer side of the lens (which you can see when you're looking at the headlight when standing in front of the car), then you can't really do much. I mean you can try to take the headlight assembly apart by melting the glue that holds the front and back parts together, to open it up, but that's not an easy job and you can easily damage stuff. In this case I personally would just leave it as it is, as long as it's still producing a usable amount of light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a reason the hids get brighter when I push the lever forward to turn on my high beams.
In bi-xenons both the low and high beam are produced by the same xenon bulb. The difference between these is only, that when you only have the low beam on, a shutter masks off the top part of the light beam, so it only shines right in front of you, and when you put on the
high beam, the shutter gets completely out of the way, allowing the full beam to exit straight out forward.
I actually didnt think they were bi-xenons. That answers my question. The only reason I didnt think they were bi-xenons is because there is a second bulb in the headlight that seems to have no use.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I actually didnt think they were bi-xenons. That answers my question. The only reason I didnt think they were bi-xenons is because there is a second bulb in the headlight that seems to have no use.
The second bulb is a halogen H7 bulb, and it's used for flashing and as a cornering light. The indicator bulb is also in that second "tube".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The second bulb is a halogen H7 bulb, and it's used for flashing and as a cornering light. The indicator bulb is also in that second "tube".
Perfect, thanks. I didnt think vw would put a bulb in just for flashing purposes. I may check a new headlight then to see if they need replacing as the new hids I put in are almost useless. I know the newer models are substantially better but my wife's 2018 tiguan light up 1000% more area than my 2004 and that's not even a exaggeration. If I'm in a street that has decent lighting and I turn my headlights on and off you would not see any difference.
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Perfect, thanks. I didnt think vw would put a bulb in just for flashing purposes.
Its primary purpose is the cornering light function. But it's also turned on when flashing the headlight.

I may check a new headlight then to see if they need replacing as the new hids I put in are almost useless.
Are you sure you have genuine bulbs? Did you verify the codes from the bulb on OSRAM's site?

I know the newer models are substantially better but my wife's 2018 tiguan light up 1000% more area than my 2004 and that's not even a exaggeration. If I'm in a street that has decent lighting and I turn my headlights on and off you would not see any difference.
As said above, you might want to look at the state of the lens, and try cleaning it from the bulb side. Obviously this can only be done if you remove the headlight assembly from the frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may check a new headlight then to see if they need replacing as the new hids I put in are almost useless.
Are you sure you have genuine bulbs?
I only bought the vehicle a few weeks ago and it had cheap d1s bulbs. I only installed new osram CBBs today which seem to be up there as one of the best on the market, so that's why I was questioning the brightness. It is a 2004 so I think the halogens might be for flashing only. But the headlights come out very easily so I will have a look inside to see what condition the hid bowl is in.

·
Super Moderator
9,385 Posts
Gnits, there was no cornering lights on the 04 with Xenons here in NA. The inner halogen bulbs were used for strictly passing highs only. They thought on this was the xenons did not liked to be flashed. Something definitely changed on that front since in 08 here in NA there was nothing but xenons.

To the OP, the halogen high beams can be made to work with the xenon highs, but it requires recoding with VCDS. If you know someone who has one they need to look up the 6 Light Salute mod and apply the coding for you. This mod also allows the fogs lights to work with high beams as well. Just an added function of this mod.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As Yeti says, you have bi-xenons which don't like being "flashed" so you get a pair of halogens to do that job, and you can tweak everything for the six-gun salute.

The old T1 headlights have two known issues - one where the insulation falls off due to crap insulation made from potato peelings or somesuch which can short wires, and the other where the silvering comes off the headlight bowls so you can't see where you're going . . .

I'd certainly double check you have genuine Osram bulbs but new headlight units might be best.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The old T1 headlights have two known issues - one where the insulation falls off due to crap insulation made from potato peelings or somesuch which can short wires,
Not confined to the T1. The insulation in my bi-xenons on my T2 just crumbled away because of, as VW Aust puts it, "wear and tear"

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I make it Generation 1 in future posts then!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Not confined to the T1. The insulation in my bi-xenons on my T2 just crumbled away because of, as VW Aust puts it, "wear and tear"
What are you doing inside the -sealed- headlight that is wearing and tearing the insulation off? You must be a really wild guy! >:)
/joke

clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/headlight-hid-projector-swap-retrofit-for-t1

https://www.inside-and-projector-lens-swap

clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/another-headlight-thread

clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/headlight-angel-rings-install

clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/upgrade-bi-xenons-to-adaptive-xenon-headlights

·
Registered
666 Posts
I guess it's an overheating problem that causes the insulation to degrade faster than it's supposed to be. Because it does not affect all cars/headlights, it's either caused by some aftermarket bulbs (that generate more heat than the original ones), or maybe even by a particular engine type that generates more heat or has less ventilation in that area than others.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Or crummy quality control so that some cars get bad batches of wire - more sensitive to heat.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's definitely poor quality insulation as it's affecting all models regardless of engine and regardless of bulb type.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts