Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok people, I'm turning to you for help.

Someone tried to syphon fuel from my tank, and in doing so blocked by filler tube. I know this because I tried to fuel the vehicle and it kept flowing over. I then bought a cable camera and inspected the filler tube. There is a piece of plastic wedged between the tube and the tank.

I have tried several methods to dislodge it, but have been unsuccessful. The garage said that the tank and filler tube are one piece, and want $1150 just to remove the tank. My question to them was what good will it do to drop the tank if they are one piece? It wouldn't make the task any easier if they are one piece.

Needless to say, I cannot afford this labor, much less a new tank. This is a second vehicle, and as much as I enjoy it, I'll have to sell it if I can't find a solution.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Did a piece of the siphoning tube get stuck? Some newer cars have filler hoses have a flap in them. It can prevent you from removing the tube once it's inserted.

One suggestion would be to try to force it further into the tank and hope it pops free and just drops into the tank. <shrug> I don't know if that will work in this case or not.

Whatever you do, don't try to melt the plastic with a lighter! :- p

·
Registered
314 Posts
eBay # 181614301223

If I had to suggest a course of action, I would pop open the passenger side fuel pump cover. Take the pump out and try to fish the filler neck from that side. Can use a wire snake the electricians use to jam up the pipe and try to break loose the debris.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I would use the electrician's snake also. Bend a hook on the end and try to pull the block out the way it went in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I might have to try this, as a last resort. I suggested this to the garage, but they said it was too far to access from that access. I'm out of options at this point, so what's there to lose.

·
Registered
314 Posts
After looking at more pictures of the filler neck and tank... maybe try to locate where the debris is stuck. Consider cutting out that section of the filler neck and replace it with basic radiator hose and some clamps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts