Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 V6 Treg will start and run for approx 10 sec. Then absolute dead stop. Turn the key off / back on / restart / same thing always. Now if this was a GM vehicle I would say fuel relay or fuel pump without a doubt. Not sure about the treg. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Let the vehicle sit for a bit ---- and then open the driver's side front door. If you don't hear a buzzing sound for a couple of seconds... I'd say it's your fuel pump.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds likely. I cant remember hearing those familiar sounds now that you mention them. Is this pump accessable thourgh the fllor pan under the pass seat or do i have to drop the tank system?

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
You'll find the access under the rear seats.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel pump location

So I"m now believing that there are two fuel pumps on each touareg. With the one under the rear seat passenger side to be the secondary one. Now is the second (main) located under the seat as well, just on the opposite side. Is there a test that I should perform to determine which if not both are at fault.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There are four fuel pumps. Left is the main fuel pressure pump, right is the secondary pressure pump and there are two lift pump that equalize fuel level between the two saddles of the fuel tank.

The left side access cover contains the fuel filter and the right the fuel pressure regulator. Both are located under the rear seats and you must remove a metal cover for access. You can disconnect each pump in turn for testing.

The right pump only operates at certain times, eg-for approx 30 seconds after start up and under some full throttle conditions. You really need to test for fuel pressure and volume which is often overlooked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Def. the fuel pump. The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. Took it to my VW dealer they charged me 1600 just for parts and labor. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
04 V6 Fuel pump

Just had the same issue last week.. Picked it up today, set me back $700. Should have done it myself; could have saved me $400. Replace the main fuel pump as other replys already suggested (left one)..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fuel Pump replaced by Dealer??? inputs needed

So I took my 04 V6 to the dealer to get the fuel pump replaced. Picked it up yesterday; checked their work and it appears they cut holes in my carpeting under the rear seats to access the metal covers to the fuel pumps.. Seems like a total butcher job to me. Anybody else have the same thing happen? not sure if I'm being unreasonable to get them to either fix it or give me my money back ex parts cost.

·
Registered
528 Posts
They do have to cut away part of carpet to access the panel the covers the fuel pump module. VW perforates the carpet in the area that need cutting so it's dead easy to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 04 V6 died on the hiway. At 70mph it started slowing down then down shifting and went dead! On the side of road it would start but die in 30 seconds. To start it took many cranks and stopped firing up. Sounds like fuel pump? I have been smelling gas too. I looked under the rear passenger under-carriage and see lots of gear oil. What can this be about?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts