Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello hope I can get some guidance on this. I have an 04 V8 Touareg and one of the fuel pumps failed. I ordered the parts to replace both fuel pumps in the fuel tank and filter (it was recommended that both fuel pumps be changed at the same time). I have gotten all the parts swapped and put back together with the new pumps. Now when I try to start the vehicle it won't start. The engine tries to start but it seems like the new fuel pumps are not pumping fuel in to the engine. I am wondering if the new pumps need to be primed or the fuel lines need to be primed some how? I can tell the fuel pumps are sitting in fuel though but I dont think there might be air in the lines and they need to be primed some how. Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced there fuel pumps or know of some suggestions to get them working now?

Thanks
Brandon

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hi Brandon, yes you can prime fuel pumps with vag com VCDS, but normally as far as i know fuel pumps are priming automatically when drivers door is opened or ignition is started, off cause if repairs were done correctly, you need to use search function as there are lots and lots of threads about fuel pumps here, kind regards, Nikoloz

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The question I forgot to ask is what was the symptoms, problem withe the car? Or if you was getting any codes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car would start for about 30 seconds and than the engine would die and choke. I was getting two codes P0174 & P0171 (System too lean). Took it to my mechanic and they said it was bad fuel pumps. They wanted $2000 to fix it. I got all the parts for about $450 and opted to do it myself. Now I got them all installed and the engine will crank but will not start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
pumps

should start right up with new pumps, unless somthing is not connected right.
maybe you have to open up again, and check all connections/lines you disconnected.:anger:
sorry...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts