Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep this short. I've done a lot of searching and testing and I think I've got things roughly figured out but wanted to verify.
2004 Touareg V8
Starts, runs for 30-40 seconds and then dies. Pump behind the DRIVERS seat runs to prime and for 30 ish seconds after car starts, after it shuts down, the car dies shortly thereafter. 183k and pumps have never been touched. Opened up access and ran tests pulling plugs on the access holes (on the fuel tank under the rear seat) and alternately the 404 relays...the pump behind the passenger seat on the RIGHT side will not run from our tests. So I feel I determined I need a right side pump.
My question is this: if I pull the C20 404 relay, it will keep the left side pump running and the car will run fine indefinitely. (I know some cars that relay is in position C19, but on mine it's C20. Position A6 appears to control the left hand pump that is behind the drivers seat and C20 either directly controls the right hand pump behind the pax seat or it controls the switching between pumps). I of course have checked fuses.
While I get a new pump ordered and find time to replace, is there any reason I can't drive with just that one pump?
Any other thoughts you have, please let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll try to keep this short. I've done a lot of searching and testing and I think I've got things roughly figured out but wanted to verify.
2004 Touareg V8
Starts, runs for 30-40 seconds and then dies. Pump behind the DRIVERS seat runs to prime and for 30 ish seconds after car starts, after it shuts down, the car dies shortly thereafter. 183k and pumps have never been touched. Opened up access and ran tests pulling plugs on the access holes (on the fuel tank under the rear seat) and alternately the 404 relays...the pump behind the passenger seat on the RIGHT side will not run from our tests. So I feel I determined I need a right side pump.
My question is this: if I pull the C20 404 relay, it will keep the left side pump running and the car will run fine indefinitely. (I know some cars that relay is in position C19, but on mine it's C20. Position A6 appears to control the left hand pump that is behind the drivers seat and C20 either directly controls the right hand pump behind the pax seat or it controls the switching between pumps). I of course have checked fuses.
While I get a new pump ordered and find time to replace, is there any reason I can't drive with just that one pump?
Any other thoughts you have, please let me know.
Thanks!
Just remember there are two sides of the fuel tank. The primary and larger capacity is behind the drivers seat the secondary chamber behind the pax is smaller. If you just run off the primary/ priming/transfer pump fuel on the pax side will not be used. The pump behind drivers transfers fuel to the pax side as needed. Not certain the capacity difference between two sides but would not let fuel level drop to less than half a tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts