Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Both fuel filter and regulator maintenance in 10mn without opening the tank and for less than 20$. You can do it every 20k km if you want. Your pumps will love you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sounds great. How bad is a dirty filter really for the pumps? I will find out when I open mine I guess.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Not sure really. May too much restriction puts more load on the pumps. Maybe the failures are due to bad/dirty fuel being sucked by the pumps or the filters under the pumps are being blocked by sludge. You don’t know until you dive in their and inspect. Maybe use a cheap endoscope from aliexpress. I have one I’ll be using when I open the tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nah, I will just pull it all out, about time at this age and mileage. Then dismantle the pump housings, etc and clean and test it all. The mesh under the pumps will look bad, there I am certain. As will the filter cartridge. And the regulator will be bad too, otherwise I will work my way through the injectors.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yes just tear that tank down and do take lots of pics please :)
I bought a used set of 6 injectors for 60€ from ebay uk and they even came connected to the fuel rail. I tested them using a 6$ tool from aliexpress and they are good. I’ll post the link for the tool later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am still curious about how the ECU actually drives the two pumps. Today I removed my relay bridge, and verified that both pumps are operational. However, after starting the car, the right pump kept running and running and running, never stops. Could it be that somehow the car detects the pressure not being upheld in the rail?
Regarding the dirty filters, since the actual flow out of the regulator is very low, I can't imagine this having a big impact on the pressure. Unless my theory holds that the fuel actually circulates quite fast through the pumps and the filter and past the regulator, and slowly delivers 4 bar petrol to the engine as it gets consumed. This would also explain that I hear a rushing sound from the tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yes just tear that tank down and do take lots of pics please :)
I bought a used set of 6 injectors for 60€ from ebay uk and they even came connected to the fuel rail. I tested them using a 6$ tool from aliexpress and they are good. I’ll post the link for the tool later.

Thanks. I have not yet had to remove the injectors myself, but it sounds like fun

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I suggest we continue this discussion on the the thread i’m running about the fuel system. This way we can have a definitive understanding of how it works in a single place.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts