Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2008 3.6 V6 Touareg (100k miles) has a smell of fuel coming from the drivers side rear are of the car. Research suggests this is to do with the fuel pump and/or filter. I've found this guide on how to change the necessary parts.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Fixing+Touareg+Gas+Leak/11326

However, I am still unclear of a few things.

1. If the smell is on the driver side (on a LHD car) is this indicative of the pump or filter or both?

2. How could I check part numbers for my car? Which parts will I need?

3. Can I only use VW parts or is there a way of fitting a less expensive part?

A list of parts with a link to a cheap source of VW parts would be fantastic!

I will of course, take a look under the rear seat at the pump/filter to diagnose a leak before buying the parts. Just need to know what i am looking at.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
562 Posts
Hi all,

My 2008 3.6 V6 Touareg (100k miles) has a smell of fuel coming from the drivers side rear are of the car. Research suggests this is to do with the fuel pump and/or filter. I've found this guide on how to change the necessary parts.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Fixing+Touareg+Gas+Leak/11326

However, I am still unclear of a few things.

1. If the smell is on the driver side (on a LHD car) is this indicative of the pump or filter or both?

2. How could I check part numbers for my car? Which parts will I need?

3. Can I only use VW parts or is there a way of fitting a less expensive part?

A list of parts with a link to a cheap source of VW parts would be fantastic!

I will of course, take a look under the rear seat at the pump/filter to diagnose a leak before buying the parts. Just need to know what i am looking at.

Thanks,

Matt
When you take off the access panel you will be looking at the filter flange assembly. The pump is separate just below and slightly to the right in the fuel tank ( drivers side). On the passenger side is a pressure regulator flange assembly under the access hatch with pump in the fuel tank. Don't know part numbers but they are made by VDO. Sometimes the flange assembly in your case the fuel filter assembly can leak causing the fuel smell. The assembly is held in with a locking ring that is pretty easy to loosen. The part should be less than $200 online and easy to google and find. Believe ECS Tuning sells,

Note to get to one of the nuts for the access hatch you will need to loosen or remove one of the seat brackets. The bolts are tight and require a torx head. Can't remember size. I just loosen the first two bolts and pry the bracket up high enough to get to the nut.

Oh, get a new gasket for the assembly, too. The assemblies generally don't come with the gasket. I have reused mine but recommendation is to replace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts