Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i am having a fuel problem with my 2004 V10 touareg

Basically it will start to run out of fuel right below half tank on the gauge.
I know its something in the tank i was just hoping someone could narrow it down before i open it up.

From my readings it is problem one of the fuel pumps, but which one drivers or passenger side?

I have also read it could be one of the suction line or the suction jet pump for the transfer system.

Please let me know what some of you who have already done this think.

Thank you,
Kole

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is my understanding that the driver's side pump primes and starts the car, and the passenger side pump is the main fuel pump. These trucks have a saddle tank, so there's one pump for each side of the saddle. My guess is that the passenger side pump is out and the driver's side pump is doing all the work. When you have the fuel level low enough so that the fuel is now in the two sides of the saddle, only the driver's side will continue to go down. So I'm going to bet that the passenger side pump is out.

These are relatively easy to change out. You can access the top of the tank from under the back seat. The carpet is pre-cut in two large circles over the access ports - and you have to unbolt the seat bracket to get the covers off. Then you can pull the pumps out from the top. Do a search on this site ... I'm sure someone has video'ed the process.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Not knowing too much about the fuel system I can't really add much value, but have you scanned the car using the VCDS. I would be surprised if fuel pump failures didn't throw up some kind of error.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.