Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 TDI and have been having some issues with the fuel gauge since we bought it. Every once in a while (usually at around 1/4 full), the gauge will show completely empty. We do not get a refuel msg, but the actual needle never leaves 0.

We noticed it when it was new, and went back and forth with VW for months until they finally witnessed it. They replaced the fuel level sensor, and it was fine for almost a year. Now, it is acting up again. My wife drives the Reg more than I do, and she said it has happened 10-15 times in the past year. But, as soon as she refuels, the problem goes away.

I took it back to VW, and of course, I got the famous words - "VW mechanics were not able to duplicate the problem, sorry."

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there anything I can check myself?

Thanks in advance! Love this forum...

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Get your iPod or camera and film it when it's happening and take it back to VW. It's under warranty.

Also just had a thought, check with a VAG-COM for any codes and in advanced measuring values (in Instruments) to see what it's measuring in the tank as far as gals. goes.

siberian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that's an idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that... Thanks!

I don't have access to a VAG-COM. I need to get one, but haven't done the research to figure out what I need for the '10 TDI yet.

·
5,765 Posts
Check the VAG-COM locator thread, I'm sure there's someone near you that for a few beers will check it for you until you get yours. Keep us posted!

siberian

·
Super Moderator
9,685 Posts
Your problem is unique since this is the first I have heard of it. Do as Siberian suggest and document it via video so you have a fighting chance of getting it fixed.

·
5,765 Posts
Seems there are several problems on other VW TDi models with fuel gauge problems (blocked vent, incorrect fuel amounts as stated in the manual etc.).

siberian

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have 2007 V10 and I have the same issue. They replaced both sending units in the tank and it was fine for about 3 years. Now it started acting up again. VAG tool shows nothing. I'm guessing that because of the diesel the leveling arm is corroded or something and doesn't go up all the way or gets stuck and that's why the readings are off. I'm out of warranty now so I just refuel every 300 miles.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I have a 2010 TDI and have been having some issues with the fuel gauge since we bought it. Every once in a while (usually at around 1/4 full), the gauge will show completely empty. We do not get a refuel msg, but the actual needle never leaves 0.

We noticed it when it was new, and went back and forth with VW for months until they finally witnessed it. They replaced the fuel level sensor, and it was fine for almost a year. Now, it is acting up again. My wife drives the Reg more than I do, and she said it has happened 10-15 times in the past year. But, as soon as she refuels, the problem goes away.

I took it back to VW, and of course, I got the famous words - "VW mechanis were not able to duplicate the problem, sorry."

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there anything I can check myself?

Thanks in advance! Love this forum...
This happened to me today for the first time. Jumped in to go get some diesel. Gauge was showing just below a 1/4 tank "no low level warning" drove a few miles to go fill er up and I looked down and the gauge was showing zero. Filled it up ( took 22 gals) and the gauge is now working fine. I never let it get below a 1/4 tank and I've only gotten the "low level warning" about 3 times nice she was new.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up getting mine fixed through VW. Good thing for the extended warranty, as I had the truck in and out of VW several times while still under the factory warranty, and they could never "duplicate the problem". My wife finally went to go pick it up from the dealer after they claimed to have fixed it, and when she started the engine, the needle stayed on zero. She flamed the mechanic, who said he couldn't duplicate the problem, and it finally got fixed. They replaced both sending units.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I'll have to wait to see if I can duplicate the problem as well. I've let the fuel get lower in the past with no gauge problem. It may have been a fluke. mhastings, I see you're in So Cal as well. What's your dealer of choice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an almost same problem but in another way. When i put the fuel till the full tank, fuel gun disconnect and when i start the car the needle doesnt reach the full range, even if i pump more fuel after the gun disconnect.
I checked with the VW agent and said the Fuel guage need a replacement.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It might be an oxidized sender. In gas cars, you can buy some fuel system cleaners and get them working again. Not sure about diesels.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pretty much any of the fuel gage problems can be a result of the sender getting oxidized, but the erratic ones are more likely. They may not be your case, but spending $10-$20 on a can before spending hundreds replacing the sender or the gage might be worth it. BG44k is one that I have heard works for gas. Worst case it might help clean the injectors a bit. Maybe someone else can chime in with a product for diesels.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
If you haven't already, you might try running a tank of B5 or B2 (assuming it's available locally).

If that doesn't clean & lubricate it, nothing will...

Hope this helps--Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just bought a grand new '13 Touareg....and when I filled the tank today (the nozzle auto-shutoff kept going off)......it said I had ALMOST filled the tank. The needle was 1 mark short of FULL.

I think I will drive around, fill the tank again, and then see if the problem persists.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a grand new '13 Touareg....and when I filled the tank today (the nozzle auto-shutoff kept going off)......it said I had ALMOST filled the tank. The needle was 1 mark short of FULL.

I think I will drive around, fill the tank again, and then see if the problem persists.
This is the same as my problem, the fuel gun auto-diconnect assuming the tank became FULL, while it is all the time shortage 1 mark.

If you try to pump more it disconnect again but sometimes it makes the needle reach the FULL tank marker.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Op, I had the same issues filling up. I called my dealer and explained what was happening, and how it was not just a fluke. They corrected the problem under warranty. I will update you tomorrow with what specifically was replaced. They didn't have the part in stock so I had a loaner for 2 or 3 days.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts