Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I picked up my 2007 v6 tdi from a dealer in December. We towed the van away to the south coast of NSW with a consumption of around 13.5 to 14 l/100k. Around the city it was getting about 12.5 -13.

Just over the last couple of fills it has rocketed up to 15.5 in the city commute. No change in driving style or type of driving. With live in the 'burbs with some traffic but the average speed still registers about 30-40kph.

The V6 is the older one (165kw, 500nm) which I recognise isn't the most efficient of V6s but I'm concerned about the rise. There are no reported faults on the dash.

Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2015 R Line V8
2,161 Posts
if you're in stop/start traffic with a moving avge of less than 40km/h...fuel economy is gonna suck.

Once at 70km/h or above...fuel economy is VERY good for 2.5t vehicle. But stop start...she's gonna drink a fair bit to get moving.

This is not a peak hour commuter vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
That is high my R50 would do max 14.5/100 with city driving. Trips I could get down to 10.3/100 if not to heavy footed. I agree speed around 90 to 110 always seemed to get best fuel consumption.

·
Registered
725 Posts
City commute in a Treg.... I think you should have a Golf or a Polo.
City wise 5L in the golf and 16L in our Treg (V10).
Open road is where they excel, although you still pay for the grunt.
20-22L/100 with 3.3tonne on the back.........but I can round up a road train in a whisker.
Just enjoy the car and to hell with the fuel cost. Dub

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It is likely (assuming you have DPFs) that the filters are starting to clog with the suburban driving which will increase fuel usage. Give it a bit of a caning to clean it out. John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it to the mechanic today (VolksMuller at Dural) and he ran some diags. DPF is sitting at 3.0 out of 4.5 maximum. He suggests that a clean is neccessary (at about $700) before the value gets over 4.0 at time a clean cannot be done and replacement is necessary. He also said a blast down the freeway will help but not as much as a clean which will be back to "as new".

Has anyone else had this done?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess you have BKS engine. If yes, Ihave the same and my numbers are 8.2lt on highway and 10-10.5lt urban. Maybe get your engine cleaned from carbon. (of course a mechanic would tell you the best option)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts