Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks,

Well, as my lease is coming to an end, it is time to take the goodies off the Touareg. :( :( :(

First item being parted out is my trailer hitch. This is the original VW/Westfalia hitch that comes when you option the Touareg with a hitch, not one of the 6000-lb rated aftermarket hitches. It's rated for the 7700lb tow rating of the Touareg. It includes the OEM hitch, wiring harness, Trailer Control Module, original unused fuses (my '05 had them in already, yours might too), the bumper trim piece notched out to fit around the hitch, and my old mounting bolts (which you SHOULD NOT use, just sending them to show what you probably need for another '05, as the bolt sizes on the early '04s were larger in diameter. They are a "one-time torque" bolt that should not be reused for safety's sake.)

As you can see in the pics, there are some scrapes on the bottom of the hitch where i've off-roaded and encountered Moab slickrock. This is nearly impossible to see when the hitch is mounted on the Touareg, but in the interest of full disclosure, I wanted to point it out. It does not affect the hitch performance (or really, mounted appearance) in any way. The steel is 5/8ths of an inch thick there!

If you're interested, send me your ZIP code and I can use our UPS computer at work to figure out shipping costs to you. ( It's heavy, about 80 pounds. )

I would like to get $500 plus shipping for this hitch kit. It's in Las Vegas, NV.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Matt, thanks for meeting all of the posting requirements!
:p:p:p

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Matt, thanks for meeting all of the posting requirements!
:p:p:p
See that little "edit" tag on the bottom? Let's just say that was there for a typo, and the location was always listed in the ad. #-o :p

Matt

·
Registered
276 Posts
Aside from the 1700lb difference in the aftermarket unit and this unit - are there any other differences? I know wiring modules and such, but these units are so expensive

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Questions and comments should be made in the appropriate forum, not in a classified ad. PM me if you want to move the last two posts there.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for reference anyone else looking to get one I was quoted $600 shipped for a new one from a dealer on the east coast... think it was www.theautobarn.com
Care to post a link to the hitch on there site? The cheapest I found was around $700 before shipping at 1stVWparts.com and tregcentral.com. My dealer was around $1200, but that was with install, so assume well over $800 for the hitch.

As far as the difference between OEM and aftermarket, there is the rating, and then there is the fact that the only plug-and-play electrical system for the Touareg is OEM. Since the controller and wiring are damn near as expensive as an entire hitch kit, it makes no sense to get an aftermarket hitch for towing if you're planning on using the factory wiring. Now, if you're just using the hitch for a bike rack and will never need trailer lights, an aftermarket would be a good way to do that.

I personally would think twice about hacking in a universal trailer light wiring kit on a vehicle as electrically finicky as the Touareg can be, especially if you're under warranty.

Matt

PS-Sorry, I meant to hit the lock button once this was sold. Would have saved some mispostings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.