Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common in the winter for the brakes to freeze over night on these?....mine seems to do it pretty frequent, and more so if im traveling in snow before stopping for the night

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go to drive off...resistance followed by a snap as they break free

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My GTI does this if I garage it wet overnight. In the morning a little resistance to moving then snap it's fine. Come to think of it the Golf R did it too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im wondering if its the 18 inch rim design or something....i know i was traveling in 2-2.5 feet of snow on the way to work one day and let it sit after a few hours while at work and it froze so bad it wouldnt move until i took traction control off......most the time it is just a little resistance and snap and away you go. Just wondering if its common, seems it does it frequent, maybe its the moisture and weather we have in my area

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've had my tires freeze to the ground before, maybe that's what you're feeling? Stuff frozen inside the rim?

Unless that wet disk brake wiping feature is acting up ie. applying the brakes momentarily when you first take off? I do have a sticky front left caliper, and I do get some creaking in the morning (I guess until the brakes warm up a bit), but not consistent with cold weather.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it is not tire freeze or stuff in the rim it is very clearly caliper freezing.....never heard of disc wipe feature and im sure mine doesnt have it

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or. slight rust coat, everyday not used, growing deeper.
lol no...i put 40k on a year, its lucky to sit still for 12 hrs

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Overnight is plenty enough time for light rust to get started on rotors in cold damp conditions.
it is far to cold for rust...even if it did lightly rust which isnt the case...it would not be enough to hold the car and need added throttle to break free

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was going to say rust too (observed this on a lot of cars I've owned). But throttle to break free? On a diesel? My bet is frozen moisture.

·
Registered
682 Posts
it is far to cold for rust...even if it did lightly rust which isnt the case...it would not be enough to hold the car and need added throttle to break free

:grin2:

HUH?

You need three things for rust:

Ferrous metal
Moisture
Oxygen

It's been -20F here, and yes my break rotors are rusted... :surprise:

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
My guess is you have an issue with the electronic parking brake. If it's sticky it'll resist movement and you'll sometimes get a loud noise if it disengages.

Never heard of nor experienced frozen ice on rotors. The only brake things deep snow messes up is the abs gadgetry, so you may get a stability system warning.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:grin2:

HUH?

You need three things for rust:

Ferrous metal
Moisture
Oxygen

It's been -20F here, and yes my break rotors are rusted... :surprise:
its not rust.....even if it were there is zero chance it would require extra power to move.

My guess is you have an issue with the electronic parking brake. If it's sticky it'll resist movement and you'll sometimes get a loud noise if it disengages.

Never heard of nor experienced frozen ice on rotors. The only brake things deep snow messes up is the abs gadgetry, so you may get a stability system warning.
park brake was not used in any of the events

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
its not rust.....even if it were there is zero chance it would require extra power to move.

park brake was not used in any of the events

You don't need to use it for it to have issues. The e brake can fail causing the caliper to lock up similar to symptoms that you describe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts