Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2.5 tdi Touareg last march and I am now experience my first winter in it.

However, the last few mornings where it has been frosty and icy on the backroads where I live, I have felt the jeep slide a lot which I didn't expect from my first 4WD vehicle.

I turned a gentle corner this morning at low speed and the jeep just kept going straight for a ditch and it then managed to right itself before I left the road.

I'm confused as to why this is happening. Is it normal in this jeep? I have quite large tyres with still plenty of thread left on them (275/45/R20), Should the ESP be turned off? I've heard this may help but I seem to get conflicting reports on this.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. BTW I live in Ireland, so not really extreme adverse weather conditions, just frost/ice and sometimes very light snow.

·
Super Moderator
9,465 Posts
First off, it is not a Jeep, it is a Touareg. Second you don't have proper tires for the conditions you are driving in. Sounds like you have dry road performance tires which won't help you in situations such as you described. Tires make all the difference in those conditions. Your Touareg is doing the best it can with the little grip it has with those tires.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Your tires are 275 mm wide, low (45 mm) profile and are mounted on large 20” rims. Most likely, as noted by Yeti, they are summer high performance tires not designed to be used in winter conditions. Even if your tires are all-season rated (which I doubt), their width by itself will make them act as a ski or a toboggan – the less weight per sq. inch of surface your SUV has - the easier it slides. There was a thread on this forum a few days ago and someone has posted comparison information about how different (winter, all-season and performance) tires of the same size perform in winter conditions. If I memorized it right, the performance tires were showing ~ three times less traction and more than triple reduction in vehicle handling ability than winter tires, though I don’t remember details. Since winters are mild in Ireland and you might find it difficult to justify buying winter tires and smaller rims (I’d look for 17” or 18” rim options) the only what you can do is slowing down and allowing an extra room for maneuvering.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
As others have said, on the tyres and wheels you have, your car is a 2.5 ton toboggan.

Even 4WD cannot defy the laws of physics - drive slowly and sensibly and don't expect miracles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies folks, it's all starting to make sense now! I think I'll look for smaller rims for winter and put winter tyres on when it's cold enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts