Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved to new state that requires front plate but do not have a front bracket to attach the plate. Bought a little attachment at AutoStore but have not screwed it into bumper (ouch) as it is just incase I get pulled over I can show "I am going home to do it now". Local VW told me they currently could not find any and would call VW USA. They also want $100.

Would love to have 2007-2010 Touareg front bracket.
Does anyone know if a Jetta or Passat in this year would fit/work? I saw one the other day and it looks similar.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Moved to new state that requires front plate but do not have a front bracket to attach the plate. Bought a little attachment at AutoStore but have not screwed it into bumper (ouch) as it is just incase I get pulled over I can show "I am going home to do it now". Local VW told me they currently could not find any and would call VW USA. They also want $100.
At that price you should consider a no-drill mount. They usually screw into the holes already in your bumper for tow hooks. About the only downside is that they're off-center (where the two hooks go). There are also ones which attach underneath the bumper, so you can flip the plate down when you're showing off the car, but flip it up when you're driving.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/tow-hook-mounted-front-license-plate-70643.html

I did get a front plate bracket for my T3 from my dealer, but instead of drilling holes in my bumper I stuck it on with outdoor mounting tape. This is the same stuff body shops use to attach decorative trim. It's been rock solid for a year now (I give it a couple yanks every couple months to see if it's coming loose). The only gotcha is I dunno how well it'll withstand low temperatures (I'm in Southern California).

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Permanent-Outdoor-Mounting-4011-LONG/dp/B000BL5INM

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went to tow hook route. I was cheap so I purchased one for a 2015 Jetta. I had a machine shop modified the threads and the length of the stem. Works great. However it does cause my park sensors to beep. I'm thinking Vag-Com can adjust the sensitivity for the closest sensor, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At that price you should consider a no-drill mount. They usually screw into the holes already in your bumper for tow hooks. About the only downside is that they're off-center (where the two hooks go). There are also ones which attach underneath the bumper, so you can flip the plate down when you're showing off the car, but flip it up when you're driving.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f64/tow-hook-mounted-front-license-plate-70643.html

I did get a front plate bracket for my T3 from my dealer, but instead of drilling holes in my bumper I stuck it on with outdoor mounting tape. This is the same stuff body shops use to attach decorative trim. It's been rock solid for a year now (I give it a couple yanks every couple months to see if it's coming loose). The only gotcha is I dunno how well it'll withstand low temperatures (I'm in Southern California).

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Permanent-Outdoor-Mounting-4011-LONG/dp/B000BL5INM
Thanks for the information. I have seen the tow hook one and don't mind it being off-center so much, but have heard about it triggering the parking sensors. I think I might order the outdoor mounting tape since you have confirmed it holding for over a year. It makes sense, as lots of body trim and mold on cars use the same strong double sided tape. Again, thanks so much!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to tow hook route. I was cheap so I purchased one for a 2015 Jetta. I had a machine shop modified the threads and the length of the stem. Works great. However it does cause my park sensors to beep. I'm thinking Vag-Com can adjust the sensitivity for the closest sensor, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for verifying the parking sensor trouble. I really don't want to dig deep and modify other things just for this front plate. I am going to look more into the double sided outdoor mounting tape.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This may not be helpful, but for my T2 I was able to bend back about an inch on the top and bottom of my Texas plate and zip tie it to the lower section of the grille. All of the lettering is still visible, and it was the simplest solution, so you may want to check before buying anything to mount it on.

·
Registered
996 Posts
On my 2010, I clipped the bracket into the honeycomb grille below the bumper and used clear silicone in the screw holes to glue the holder to the top. No holes drilled. It's stayed on through hot summers and cold winters no problem. Cost me next to nothing as I had leftover silicone from a bathroom sealing job.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the answers & options. I currently just bought a small bracket at ACE Hardware, zip tied it to the lower honeycomb grill, then screwed my front plate into the bracket. It doesn't quite fit so the bottom is angled out and resting on the lower part. It should work. I could unscrew and try to bend bottom to tuck in. If the bottom rattles or vibrates, my next move will be to use the molding tape with the OEM bracket. I found one on Amazon for $64. Still less than VW charges at $92.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts