Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 2004 V8, front left parking lame stuck on all the time. Had to remove the bulb to avoid battery drain. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Isn't that a feature if you leave the turn signal stalk activated and then turn the ignition off??

I remember reading a TSB about that somewhere.... Sorry, I don't remember where.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also read about the leaving the turn signal lever in left or right to leave that side of the parking light circuit active when parked. My lever is in the center position and only the left front parking light stays on.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
When you turn the lights on, do all the parking lights work? I'm wondering if there's a ground fault somewhere. If you remove one (or all) of the other parking light bulbs, is there a difference?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All other parking lights work as they should. Will try removing bulbs to check for a difference tomorrow.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Remove the headlight unit and inspect the internal wiring to see if the insulation on the wires is breaking up - a well known fault.

There's a trick to getting the light units out:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/4565-removing-headlight-unit-changing-bulbs/

Do, please, take time to read the "Buying a used Touareg" thread ASAP if you haven't seen it - the link is in my signature. You will learn a lot about what to expect.

The one key item on an early V8 is the timing belt.

Unless you know with 1,000% certainty the belt, tensioners, water pump and thermostat have been changed within the last 80,000 miles or 5 years, your engine is on borrowed time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If there are problems with the wiring in the headlight assembly causing the parking light to be stuck on, that would imply that there is some source of power to the assembly when the vehicle is shut down. Do you know if this exists?
Thanks for the links in your signature area....very informative and will be useful.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wonder if the dash switch or even possibly the turn signal toggle could have a ground. What happens if you put the bulb back in and pull the main light switch out and disconnect?

I think you can test this switch for faults too...either a voltmeter or someone even said VCDS?

Do you have the Euro switch? I have read of these having odd issues.

I might be too old school because the Treg's wiring is not at all as simple as the way things used to be...

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Super old post, I know, but has anyone with this parking light won't go out problem been able to solve it and can share what they did?

No, I am not talking about the courtesy lights that are supposed to go on with the turn signal on when you turn off the ignition. I'm specifically asking about the small, amber, front parking lamp in the headlight unit that refuses to go out even with the key out of the ignition and the vehicle completely off.

VAGCOM suggests a short to positive for that lamp/light, and with the headlight unit removed, I do get 12V to the connector for that pin. Right side is functioning fine and I have not yet checked to see if there is power to that same pin on the right side, but I will do that next.

Beyond the male plug the headlight unit plugs into, what else can I check between the plug and the J519?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts