Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

new member here, some advice needed. 2006 V10 120k miles.

Had a sudden wirring , winding noise from 30 mph getting louder 60mph+ ether the diff or propshaft are my thoughts. No knocks just wheel bearing type noise coming from centre of the car- can't work out if centre console or under dash area.

Checked all wheel bearings all ok, drained front diff to find lots of tinny metal particles (see picture) so have done a flush and new oil took another sample from after 20 mile drive (see picture). looks ok tiny tiny bits at a push. Oil change did not change the noise.

My confusion here is i have also inspected the centre prop bearing knowing this is common it does look warn not huge movement took plate off and it does move and the rubber is very split but not apart from the bearing.

Should i go down the prop route first , or with the diff oil looking that bad could that be the issue. Also prop looks original with 06 date stamp.

thanks for your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It does sound and read like you need a new propshaft centre bearing.

You can fix that for next to nothing or £1,200.

You could be looking at up to £5K for a diff.

The V10 and R5 Touaregs use a slightly shorter prop-shaft by the way.

Whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi noobytoogy,

thanks for the reply, i am in the uk , Shropshire.

Yes the v10 has got a shorter a prop and they are not that bad price wise £300 ish for the parts just looking on eBay. I guess my only concern is the oil from the diff with all the metal bits. Could this just be from maybe not being changed in awhile. It has full service history but no mention of diffs oil change.

thanks

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
VW considers the diffs, autobox and transfer box to be sealed for life items.

That's utter bollocks as you will have seen from your first oil change!

So, change the rear diff oil too.

Buy the correct transfer box oil from your VW dealer - it comes in an 850 ml pot - and change that.

Change the ATF in the gearbox as well.

There are how-to's on all of this on here and on the UK site www.mytreg.com

Prop shaft Bearing replacement - myTreg forums

Firow have proved themselves to several owners:

Propshaft supplier, propshaft manufacturer & reconditioning | Firow Propshafts

How close are you to Hartlepury in Worcs?

Propshaft repair in Midlands - myTreg forums

Look at this too:

T1 and T2 prop shaft centre bearing fix for about £120 - myTreg forums

I assume you already know about the absolute need to be running EXACTLY the right oil in a V10 to prevent premature camshaft lobe wear and that even VW dealers get this wrong?

If you don't, read up on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi noobytoogy,

thanks for all the info , i have indeed replaced with firow shaft , highly recommended company. - but this has not fixed my issue. Still low grinding , whining noise from 30mph +.

As per your advice all oils have been changed, the noise is right under the dash area. Have checked diff oil again and looks ok no metal on the plug.

Only thing i noticed is on the transfer box flanges there is small movement is this normal? could this be a transfer box noise or diff?

thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, i'm just waiting on a friends lift to really start the hunt for the noise. Question does the main shaft flange on the differential should this have any movement? or not? Mine has a fare bit on both drivers and passengers side when you push pull the flange and driveshaft.

cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine had the same issue and ended up being the shaft that goes from transfer case to front diff, it wasnt damaged, it just ran out of grease, as if the grease was heated up to the point that it dry out and the joints were making the noise. Depending on how bad they are, you may here a popping noise from time to time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
if visual inspection of the shaft support shows signs then this is most probably the issue.

Silver treasure (or any other colour for that matter) coming from the front diff is not entirely unheard of. My unit when bought had 155km on the clock and was always serviced by VW. The first service i ever did to go over everything included the front diff. The amount of rubbish that came out seemed to indicate that the front diff had never been changed.

Its worth noting that "Sealed for Life" according to VW is as long as the warranty lasts. After that they expect you to buy a new vehicle.

My mechanic an ex-VW guy who was trained on the Treg when it first came out mentioned that it was very likely never done as the plug hole is not as convenient to get to as it could be. Bare in mind a lot of the people VW have are apprentices and this could be given some weight also maybe.

I have also sighted other items on my vehicle which have not been changed when they should (and were marks as having been replaced) by the dealer which left me speechless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advice, i have today dropped the front differential to inspect. Was not that hard it was more of a pain as i had no ramp. But i will get pictures and info posted tomorrow for information. I May not tackle the diff rebuild my self as i am not fully stocked on the tools side.Keep you posted.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Artvaults12, cant wait to see pics. I think i am in the same boat but was hoping to get see some sort of DIY before tackling to removal.

Hope this is not a thread jack but I hate to start ANOTHER "front diff' thread just to share the wealth of knowledge; mine was making a wirring noise from the front beginning at around 20mph and up. I took it to a friend mechanic and vw dealer who both said it was tire noise but I swapped tires and put on my other set of rims - no change.

Here is where is gets weird. I changed the front diff fluid expecting to find metal but it was fine. no metallic anything. Then VW puts it on the rack and tells me when it is off the ground and running they hear nothing. no weird noises. They also tell me the right front wheel does not turn when it is off the ground and idling but all the others do (I am thinking this is just because of the open differential).

So do I spring for the used diff ( a v10 tdi version is hard to find)? How much is it typically to rebuild it (I can get the bearings and seals etc.)? Should I try replacing anything else first (wheel bearings etc)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi carbonduc27,

So quick run down from my experience for you.

Mine had a grumble wine after 25-30mph, noise did not change in Neutral or through the gears. Sounded like a wheel bearing but under the dash drivers side.
Checked wheel bearings , Had a slight worn centre Propshaft bush so took that option first (cheaper) turned out no different. Lots of threads on the prop.

Now the Diff is not bad to drop. I will make a bit of a list to help anyone else. But i did it on axle stands and a jack. Hard part is getting the diff over the steering rack as per VW technical manual you can only lower the subframe 200mm.

So inspected the Differential so far just removed both input & rear drive flange. You can do this using a slide hammer a few blows and it pops out. Attached pictures. The rear Drive Flange this is important i undid the pinion nut before looking at the technical you have to check the friction torque before you undo it so when you put it back you torque up to that value.

Both Input bearings are fine but the rear drive pinion shaft bearing is worn can here it just spinning it by hand and it doesn't turn 100% freely. I did not have much metal in the oil and nothing after an oil change. I will carry on the strip down.

So i am just pricing up my options. New diff is £3280 in the uk. There are a few differential used but i am searching to see if the 3.0 q7 differential is the same there are much more out there. Mine only has casing numbers from the ZF Manufacture i have emailed ZF to see if they can supply parts or cross reference different diffs. Will post more info when i get it.

For reference
Input diff bearings LM503310/ LM503349
Needle bearing on input sleeve 311401301
Rear Shaft bearing ET-HM88542.

There is seals but the seals and needle bearing you can by from VW.

keep you posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pictures attached

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Excellent posts. Hope it all goes well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Artvaults12, thanks for the info. I am on the fence whether to pull it myself or not. I really was hoping to find some specific DIY. I pretty handy with the wrenches but HATE working upside down... also dont want to get stuck half way and not be able to get it to a shop.

I got all the bearings and seals ordered but wondered if it is beyond my skills to rebuild a diff.

So i need a slide hammer to remove the bearings? Will i need to do anything with the gears. Do i have to open it up and reset lash and gap etc? Do the carrier bearings come out diff you take the cover off the main diff housing?

In cross referencing parts: the 3.0L TDI q7 appears to have the same 3.27 final drive ratio. Part number: 0BM409505L on the sticker.
I also wondered if the 957 porsche cayenne turbo 955 349 010 CX with 3.27 ratio would work.

Of course I would prefer the much cheaper self pull and install my own new bearings if i can get a clear procedure

thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
carbonduc27, i was on the fence but decided just to pull it out work on your back is what takes more time as you do have to re think things not being on the ramp.

How have you crossed reference the parts? My Diff part number is 0AA409507E now supersedes to 0AA409508A Good work on finding out the ratio i couldn't get any info over here. The part number 0BM409505L there is a few on a well known auction site seems to fit 3.0 Tregs and Cayennes would be great if that was same ratio as i might purchase one as a spare or at least put it in until the original unit is rebuilt.

As per your question i have not got any further then removing the flanges. The slide hammer is needed to remove the flanges and seals. Will be stripping it down on the weekend so come back to you on more details But i do think the two input bearings will come out when you separate the housing.

Will keep you updated, funny how we are in the same boat same year! V10s what mileage are you on?

thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
thanks,

My part number is the same and I cannot find the newer 0AA409508A here in the US.

I have about 120,000 mi on mine. second owner and meticulously dealer maintained by previous owner. I have had it a year and did change ALL fluids at 90k mi. My wife drives it daily and it has towed our 25ft travel trailer on several trips so that is the only strain.

My center bushing has some movement but rubber is all good so I am sure it is not that. I am going to do a stethescope chassis mic test tomorrow to try and pinpoint the issue. I would put money on my pinion bearing also being bad. The noise really doesnt change other than speed. turning makes no real difference.

I look forward to seeing/reading about your breakdown and rebuild. An would love to hear what ZF says about using other parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
carbonduc27, Interesting mine is on 119,000! but i have only had it for a year put on 5-6k miles. One thing over here VW Main service do not like changing driveline oils its something that across the pond does well.

Chassis Mic will help no end, mine was coming form the rear pinion bear / flange area.

Waiting for an email from Zf , if you go on there website there is good information for local dealers etc. But from the few conversation i fear Vw have got mosts parts rapped up with a legal tie. I did ask if i can by a new version from them! Who knows might be cheap!....

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
carbonduc27, Interesting mine is on 119,000! but i have only had it for a year put on 5-6k miles. One thing over here VW Main service do not like changing driveline oils its something that across the pond does well. !....
Er, no.

"No need to change the fluids sir, its sealed for life!" seems to apply over in the US just the same.

Bloody stupid.

I think the T3/T4 now actually has an ATF change [at 60,000 miles?] in the service schedule.

·
Registered
73 Posts
wow. same mileage huh; creepy.

I only changed the fluid myself for piece of mind and to avoid failure since I was going to be towing with this beast(a lot of good that did... :rolleyes:). I used vw atf fluid and mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in the front and rear.

carbonduc27, Interesting mine is on 119,000! but i have only had it for a year put on 5-6k miles. One thing over here VW Main service do not like changing driveline oils its something that across the pond does well.

Chassis Mic will help no end, mine was coming form the rear pinion bear / flange area.

Waiting for an email from Zf , if you go on there website there is good information for local dealers etc. But from the few conversation i fear Vw have got mosts parts rapped up with a legal tie. I did ask if i can by a new version from them! Who knows might be cheap!....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.