Club Touareg Forum banner

Front Diff Lock Option - Is it Real?

69K views 72 replies 29 participants last post by  MidnightTouaregV8 
#1 · (Edited)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't be surprised. My MFD and radio display both have a diff symbol on the front axle as well as the rear. I always wondered why there was a symbol for the front axle diff since there was no locker there.

Good luck finding one. A google search of the P/N only shows the website that you posted screenshots of, I think.

#4 ·
Thanks Gentlemen. I have owned this car for 8 years and I am still discovering new stuff!

#7 ·
Noooo!!!

Now there's another thing I can lust after... :- (

What market got these???

I wonder if you'd have to replace the front 1/2 shafts, too? The rear 1/2 shafts are different for the locked diff vs. the open diff, IIRC.

This would be so awesome to have!!!

Hey
The drive shafts are the same for both locked and non locking diffs provided they come from the same engine configurations.
e.g. the V10 have a bigger drive flange than the V8,V6 etc. so there is a difference there but other wise the same.

regards
Drag

#9 ·
Looking forward to triple locking diffs on your Touareg Stu :)

#10 ·
Not beyond the realm of possibility.

#14 ·
If you don't have a locking front diff, EDL is used, which applies the brakes to the side thats spinning.

I did find this in ETKA:

#19 ·
Surely if this vehicle was going to be more of a legend than it is already (maybe thats just with Treg nuts like us) VW would have produced the Touareg vehicle standard with lockers all round like the Merc G Wagon has all of it life ... and maybe offer a "city" dweller option of only centre diff.

Isnt over engineering in this last era of vehicles where it should have been at ?

very unhappy now ................... although i knew it was coming given the MFD does allude to the fact in its visual locking diagram that some vehicles have more than one diff.

Anyway what i have is enough so the MORE in me can just ..... miss out

#23 ·
I did. :D I installed it into my v8 treg without a rear locker. It works and lights up correctly but once you switch it past the center locker nothing more happens on mine. I parted out a treg with the rear locker so i was planning on putting that into mine. I looked at the coding and couldn't find anything for a front locker so my guess is you at least need the rear locker first.

#25 ·
I'd also like to know if anyone has any new info on this topic. I have a 2007 V10 that I'm turning into an overlander with center and rear lockers and I'd love to complete it with a front locker.

Side note, once I start this crazy project (most likely summer of 2021, because $$$$$), I will be posting everything here on club touareg in a new thread with lots of photos :cool:

Reactions: Crispy3
#26 ·
I’m pretty confident a front locker doesn’t exist, it was one of the many scrapped features of the early Touareg project. If somehow a few examples were actually produced, they’re incredibly rare and you would have to purchase one of those examples. All my parts researching through ETKA, the FSM, and various German/Russian sites indicates it was merely an idea, like the disconnecting front sway bar.

I would love to be wrong.

#28 ·
Was the front diff actually confirmed, or did people just see the dash knob?

#51 ·
I don’t remember, you can search the for sale adds and look...

it is a option, was on a number of early Touaregs overseas along with the disconnecting front sway bar.

not much call for it now as I have a complete locking Rear differential conversion and there is not much interest in the conversion. And I am selling it for cheap!
Hi Blownvette, I am curious about what is needed to add rear locker to my 2009 R50 a la T1 Touareg with rear lock selector on console rotary dial. I'm in Aus so probably not something I could get from USA readily.

Is this a do-able addition to my R50 or highly expensive? What are the electronic implications of this, anticipating that a relevant module from a car with rear locker would be needed, console dial, rear axle assembly, wiring run that probably wouldn't exist in the R50 harness and then some VCDS programming needed as a minimum.

Pete.

#30 ·
I was going to swap a rear locker into my V8 and then try to make the front work (already have the switch for front locker). But i ended up buying a pretty sweet V10. I have spent all my time swapping my nice V8 parts into the V10. I got as far as wiring up the factory rear locker stuff from a parts car i had. I have confirmed that it is working with the rear but i only have a V8 rear locking diff right now so i can't drive with it. The first V10 locking diff i ordered was "lost" by UPS only a few miles from my house... I just ordered another today. It is really hard finding a locker since they are so poorly advertised/labeled by salvage yards. I also was taking apart my V10 engine to fix some small oil leaks and found that my cams are slightly worn so i ordered some Colt Cams for it on Jan. 2nd. I am still waiting on them. Apparently the place i ordered them from has been playing phone tag with Colt since last month. I am really getting sick of it being down for so long and having to drive my V8 treg everyday. I did notice that when looking up part numbers for the transfercase computer there are part numbers for 'center locking' 'rear locking' and 'front locking'. The transfercase computer is a master and the rear locking computer is a slave. So if you are using a transfercase computer from one without a rear locker it will not let you use the rear locker even when wired up. The one from my parts car has the number for center, rear, and front. So i guess that is a good start.

#34 ·
It was shipped by a large salvage yard that i have purchased a few things from before including an engine. Most likely it was shipped in a wooden crate. I think a UPS employee just didn't want to deliver it since it made it all the way to the point of being loaded on a truck for delivery. I wish i could have done a walk though of the UPS site since i'm sure it would be easy to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.