Club Touareg Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
AIR OUTRAGE V8 REARLOCK
48 Posts
Sounds like the front diff is a questionable return on investment after marinating on some of the other valid points on this forum. If I were to go that route, I'd want to use the one that VW engineered for this vehicle... it is a thought though! I will continue to read and evaluate

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V10
98 Posts
Sounds like the front diff is a questionable return on investment after marinating on some of the other valid points on this forum. If I were to go that route, I'd want to use the one that VW engineered for this vehicle... it is a thought though! I will continue to read and evaluate
Sigh.. You've obviously not tried to find a front diff lock for the Touareg, let alone a factory fitted one!

·
Registered
2013 Touareg R line V8 Diesel
206 Posts
Why ? Some people with no data have said the diff casing is too weak for a locking diff to be installed, I am not sure how a locking diff actually puts more load on the casing but thats their opinion based on visual inspection. Others have said with no data that Harrop are not a reputable engineering company and why buy from them. If you want the VW front or rear locking diff the first challenge is find one, the second is the price. The third challenge is get it to work with a vehicle that does not have the control modules and coding needed. The 4th is the long term reliability of the stepper motor and clutch based system adopted by VW. Easier to buy another Treg with locking diffs if you can find one I think

In reality their are better off road vehicles with better suspension options if you're planning to go off road where you need locking diffs

·
Registered
AIR OUTRAGE V8 REARLOCK
48 Posts
Why ? Some people with no data have said the diff casing is too weak for a locking diff to be installed, I am not sure how a locking diff actually puts more load on the casing but thats their opinion based on visual inspection. Others have said with no data that Harrop are not a reputable engineering company and why buy from them. If you want the VW front or rear locking diff the first challenge is find one, the second is the price. The third challenge is get it to work with a vehicle that does not have the control modules and coding needed. The 4th is the long term reliability of the stepper motor and clutch based system adopted by VW. Easier to buy another Treg with locking diffs if you can find one I think

In reality their are better off road vehicles with better suspension options if you're planning to go off road where you need locking diffs
That was exactly my concern. There are better vehicles suited for breaking things. Such as a hand me down Jeep from someone for $300 and a bottle of bootlegger's whiskey in Eastern Kentucky. However, this marvelous piece of German engineering is a formidable one and I'm not opposed to bringing mine where some people who shiver at bringing their rigs. That said, why break expensive things along the way if we don't have to? The lack of any data for or against this is a questionable return on investment, RIGHT NOW, but if some folks start getting these installed and using them to take their Touaregs where people can't already take their Touaregs, then I'll be first NEXT ONE in line to hand them my money.

I'll be following this and seeking out an OEM front diff in the mean time to attempt an install and then head to the dealership to code for me. I think I'll call them today just to chat and see how tracking down these parts and what part of the installation I can do and what they'll need to help with.

I want this though, just for the novelty factor and OEM switch alone. That will make some many people's lips curl. Idk why some people hate the concept of this keeping pace with their vehicles. It's cool enough that it's even showing up and I love it

·
Registered
2004 V8
95 Posts
Like I mentioned in one of my comments, I'd like to see engineering data comparing non-locking OEM front axle differential housing and a fully lockable OEM front axle housing.
The reason for that is I know for a fact that the rear locking and non-locking differential housings are different!

Also worth mentioning, most IFS trucks out there have relatively easy access to the front differential. This is no the case with subframe/unibody Touareg.
The surgery to install a locker in the front diff would be an undertaking that could potentially result in a catastrophic failure of a design not intended to be locked in the first place.
Also, the proximity of the front differential to engine oil pain which was necessitated by packaging created a potentially dangerous situation in the case of grenaded front differential.
You may find my reference to Toyota IFS front diff lockers anecdotal. And, be that as it may, I've seen some precarious results with modifications of systems not designed to be abused.
The aluminum alloy cast used in IFS off-road vehicles is nowhere near as strong as the weakest cast-iron or stamped center section of a solid axle.

Forearmed is forewarned.

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V10
98 Posts
Like I mentioned in one of my comments, I'd like to see engineering data comparing non-locking OEM front axle differential housing and a fully lockable OEM front axle housing.
The reason for that is I know for a fact that the rear locking and non-locking differential housings are different!

Also worth mentioning, most IFS trucks out there have relatively easy access to the front differential. This is no the case with subframe/unibody Touareg.
The surgery to install a locker in the front diff would be an undertaking that could potentially result in a catastrophic failure of a design not intended to be locked in the first place.
Also, the proximity of the front differential to engine oil pain which was necessitated by packaging created a potentially dangerous situation in the case of grenaded front differential.
You may find my reference to Toyota IFS front diff lockers anecdotal. And, be that as it may, I've seen some precarious results with modifications of systems not designed to be abused.
The aluminum alloy cast used in IFS off-road vehicles is nowhere near as strong as the weakest cast-iron or stamped center section of a solid axle.

Forearmed is forewarned.
Yes the cases are different because of the addition of the stepper motor to lock the diff, but do you know if the thickness of the casting is different to the locking vs non locking diff? I highly doubt it is. Thicker casting adds more weight to an already heavy car.

If one of the worlds biggest manufacturers of lockers, ARB, makes lockers for many IFS vehicles, Toyota, Isuzu, Hyundai, Honda, Ford to name a few, I'm confident about the R&D that has been done before even starting design.

You keep using words like "grenaded" and "abused". This locker is aimed at the enthusiast that knows and understands the limit of his vehicle. If some clown wants to put this locker in his Touareg and race down the Rubicon he is the exception, not the rule.

I still think the shock loads transferred to the other end of the diff when the traction control brakes a spinning wheel, is far worse than having a constant 50% split of power to both wheels.

·
Registered
2004 V8
95 Posts
I am not concerned with the locker itself.
It is plenty strong for a given application.
I don't bash neither Harrop nor ARB, there is no need. Both are fine manufacturers. I've used ARB product and it was superb!
The diff case is where my concern lies.
The rear locking diff is thicker where clutches and bearings are. The weight is not a concern, the strength is.
I hope whoever installs one in the Egg will conduct thorough testing and if failure occurs would share the findings.
Until then we are engaging in a futile conjecture.
P.S failure happens in the least anticipated moment.
I'd grenaded Dana44 front U-joint making multi point turn going up before trying slick rock obstacle @ Rubicon garden.
Everything was going great, last turn I was about to make and gave it a bit more throttle, mind you my Jeep had nearly 80:1 reduction (manual gearbox), and a lod pop followed by a jolt and a roll backwards. The only thing saved me from rolling down the hill, was my quick reaction to slam on the brakes.
It was long time ago, and I had a lunch-box locker inside D44.
The egg is too nice of a soft off-roader to even consider hard core trails.

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V10
98 Posts
I am not concerned with the locker itself.
It is plenty strong for a given application.
I don't bash neither Harrop nor ARB, there is no need. Both are fine manufacturers. I've used ARB product and it was superb!
The diff case is where my concern lies.
The rear locking diff is thicker where clutches and bearings are. The weight is not a concern, the strength is.
I hope whoever installs one in the Egg will conduct thorough testing and if failure occurs would share the findings.
Until then we are engaging in a futile conjecture.
P.S failure happens in the least anticipated moment.
I'd grenaded Dana44 front U-joint making multi point turn going up before trying slick rock obstacle @ Rubicon garden.
Everything was going great, last turn I was about to make and gave it a bit more throttle, mind you my Jeep had nearly 80:1 reduction (manual gearbox), and a lod pop followed by a jolt and a roll backwards. The only thing saved me from rolling down the hill, was my quick reaction to slam on the brakes.
It was long time ago, and I had a lunch-box locker inside D44.
The egg is too nice of a soft off-roader to even consider hard core trails.
Please can you post some photos of the internal differences? That would really put our minds at ease.

I've not seen the internals but externally the casings look virtually identical, apart from the part where the stepper motor is.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
2004 V8
31 Posts
in case most of you missed it
I came to add your stuff to this thread after watching your video. Thanks for responding there...

So, I have the two settings for rear and middle. I obviously now need the front (haha cough expensive).

Do you have MFG PDF diagrams for building your custom front end bodywork?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts