Club Touareg Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have some response, we might have chances that they will try to fit current Amarok locker in touareg diff for us ????

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Guys guys !!!! I have full attention from ARB so now it's our turn ? Thay need measurements from touareg front diff 2003-2010 measurements have to be as precise as possible, at the moment I don't have access to the front diff so I'm asking you to help, pleas step in, if you have precise information pleas sher so i can give them what they want and they can test if current Amarok locker will work or they will create locker for us and the cayenne :) i will create new thread so more guys will see this

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ooooooh this has promise! I have a spare V8 and V6 7L diffs at home but won't be there until two weekends from now. If no one else can get this info before then I'll crack one open and get some dims.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have a diff apart on my bench will try to supply measurements
Regards
Drag
Thank you mate ?. It will be a big help, what year and engine touareg your diff came from? Cause i have bought diff for measuring porpoise only and its from 2004 3.2 please if you will also do the measurements we need 0.01 mm precision

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
please read hole thread as its important to understand what help i need from every member to make it all happen
Hello touareg friends, 8 years i have my touareg with rear diff lock and I have been trying to find out everything about front diff lock (as probably many of you did same), but it was never 100% clear if this option was ever made, and if someone ever had touareg with all diff locks.
anyways here is what I have today for us.......
as you all know ARB is one of the most reliable product maker in air lockers world wide, so i contacted them and finally i got their full attention, i spoke many many minutes on the phone and i explained them hole situation and they were very surprised as they did not knew anything about Touaregs and that it had lot of off road goodies and it needs front locker more than many other SUVs. i also explained them that toauregs and cayennes are 99% same and if they will create air locker for toaureg it also can be fitted to cayennes so they ''kill to birds with one shot''.
because i was literally begging them to make it for us they told me that they look at it and see what can they do, but first they need to have precise measurements of diff components and it will take time to do it so i offered to help and get precise measurements of all parts they need. after that they sent me file with list of parts needed measuring, so i bought one front diff in local junk yard and immediately stripped it down and measured it, i forwarded all this info to ARB.
than i spoke with them again on the phone and the guy told me that in 2011 their engineering team have had an idea of making air locker for touareg but cause there was almost 0% of owners who actually asked ARB locker for their toaureg so they did not even started making one, but now as i really bothered them many many times via Emails and phone calls i think ice have started to melt and we really have good opportunity to have it done finally :)
now the main part
it is very important so please please please do not ignore this as it depends on our activity ;)

as i made all the measurements for them it turns out that they need to order new tool that is ''unique'' for touaregs and it will cost them a lot of money so they told me that if they will get at least 150-200 ''orders'' (technically its not an order yet) but at least 150-200 persons that will be interested of making front diff lock for their toaureg or cayenne they will make it for us :)
than i asked to have direct contact to them but they told me that it will only work if everyone who wants to have front diff locker they have to contact their local ARB dealer and ''ask/request'' locker for touareg/cayenne so they will pass information to main ARB head quarters in Australia. i know its much easier to have direct contact, but im guessing they are doing so cause they are collecting statistics and data hwere are most requests coming from....
i asked about estimated price, he could not tell me exact number but he told me that it will be same as other air lockers at around 900-1000 US$
so please please please
eveyone please who wants to have front diff lock from the best manufacturer in the world please go/call to your local ARB dealer and ask them that you are interested in Touare/Cayenne front locker and ask them to sent your request to main ARB in Australia. if you will do it than our dream will come true and they will make it.
thank you in advance guys :)
kind regards to all of you
Nikoloz from Georgia

·
Registered
9 Posts
Amazing work getting ARB to lift their heads on the Touareg user base, I've sent an email expressing my interest. Hope we have enough people for them to kick this project off.
I'm imagining it's not going to be quick if they need to make a new tool, I would think it would be tweaks to the main body of the diff to fit our crown wheel and bearings.
This could be easily 4-8wks (tool delivery) + 4 (make first prototypes) + 4-8 (testing) + ....
It could take quite awhile before they have a salable product.

I'm definitely interested in expanding the 4x4 aftermarket for Touareg as it it quite limited.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Amazing work getting ARB to lift their heads on the Touareg user base, I've sent an email expressing my interest. Hope we have enough people for them to kick this project off.
I'm imagining it's not going to be quick if they need to make a new tool, I would think it would be tweaks to the main body of the diff to fit our crown wheel and bearings.
This could be easily 4-8wks (tool delivery) + 4 (make first prototypes) + 4-8 (testing) + ....
It could take quite awhile before they have a salable product.

I'm definitely interested in expanding the 4x4 aftermarket for Touareg as it it quite limited.
thank you for your time, fingers crossed thar all our efforts will pay off ???

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don’t remember, you can search the for sale adds and look...

it is a option, was on a number of early Touaregs overseas along with the disconnecting front sway bar.

not much call for it now as I have a complete locking Rear differential conversion and there is not much interest in the conversion. And I am selling it for cheap!
Hi Blownvette, I am curious about what is needed to add rear locker to my 2009 R50 a la T1 Touareg with rear lock selector on console rotary dial. I'm in Aus so probably not something I could get from USA readily.

Is this a do-able addition to my R50 or highly expensive? What are the electronic implications of this, anticipating that a relevant module from a car with rear locker would be needed, console dial, rear axle assembly, wiring run that probably wouldn't exist in the R50 harness and then some VCDS programming needed as a minimum.

Pete.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
959 Posts
I have a new in VW crate V10tdi locking rear differential, full harness with the modules and a pair of axles. Everything needed for the conversion. $1200. Less than half the cost of the differential alone. Figure 300 lbs for freight. I can drop it off at the freight company that you choose.

also have a used V8 locking differential for a conversion if someone else is looking to do the conversion. $800 for that conversion.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for the kind offer Blownvette. I am just curious and not strongly motivated to do anything about it. It sounds like it would be a nice project to do this upgrade and by your response, a relatively straightforward installation mechanically by the sound of it and the electrical side not prohibitive - or you would have said. Thanks for the info.

Will keep it in the back of my memory for future if I get any interest to pursue it.

Pete.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the kind offer Blownvette. I am just curious and not strongly motivated to do anything about it. It sounds like it would be a nice project to do this upgrade and by your response, a relatively straightforward installation mechanically by the sound of it and the electrical side not prohibitive - or you would have said. Thanks for the info.

Will keep it in the back of my memory for future if I get any interest to pursue it.

Pete.
Crispy3 you may not need a rear locker unless you want to go miles off road. I have owned my v10 for 9 years and never needed to use the rear in anger. Exactly where a locker would be most useful is a track I would never want to take my rig. Everywhere else, and even when towing, TC made for forward motion even in the poorest of conditions. Sad to say this but twice a year I lock it up to ensure it is operating correctly, that is it.

WRT front lockers, I am near an ARB workshop in Port Mac. If that can help in R&D or any measurements required I can call by the boys and they can have at it. A front locker is not something my reg really needs. Happy to be involved. We have another rig (cruiser) to take those licks in the bush. A bit cheaper to run and repair for serious work.

·
Registered
2008 VW Touareg V10 TDI
34 Posts
Have there been any updates on the progress with ARB?

·
Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,158 Posts
Have there been any updates on the progress with ARB?
I wouldn’t hold your breath. The odds of them making a locking diff for a small market of perhaps 50-80 people is slim.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Im no longer working with ARB on this project, over the year now Harrop have been working with me on prototype and it will be ready very soon, i will soon post updates 😉 skepticism is not good guys, keep positive and wait for the big news 🥰

·
Registered
AIR OUTRAGE V8 REARLOCK
26 Posts
I'm here to report that I have a 2006 V8 with REAR locking diff... I was on Craigslist in Seattle and began a conversation with someone who was selling his project touareg and I don't know if it really had a front locking diff, but he had the switch that would indicate that there was a front locking diff. Maybe it was just replaced with one with all three, but he didn't know anything about it or what he had. I was trying to purchase from him but he refused to part the vehicle out, even if i swapped diffs with him and did all the work plus replaced his faulty water pump... and then he disappeared on me. I am ALSO interested... if this were to ever be procured by me... would I be able to enable this with Vagcom upon a proper (plug and play?) install... or would this be a trip to VW?

·
Registered
2006 Touareg V10
97 Posts
I'm here to report that I have a 2006 V8 with REAR locking diff... I was on Craigslist in Seattle and began a conversation with someone who was selling his project touareg and I don't know if it really had a front locking diff, but he had the switch that would indicate that there was a front locking diff. Maybe it was just replaced with one with all three, but he didn't know anything about it or what he had. I was trying to purchase from him but he refused to part the vehicle out, even if i swapped diffs with him and did all the work plus replaced his faulty water pump... and then he disappeared on me. I am ALSO interested... if this were to ever be procured by me... would I be able to enable this with Vagcom upon a proper (plug and play?) install... or would this be a trip to VW?
The rotary switch is available, 7L6 941435 Q, but I suspect you will not get this to work with some VCDS programming. You might be able to use the rotary switch to enable the difflock, instead of an aftermarket rocker switch.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts