Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did. :D I installed it into my v8 treg without a rear locker. It works and lights up correctly but once you switch it past the center locker nothing more happens on mine. I parted out a treg with the rear locker so i was planning on putting that into mine. I looked at the coding and couldn't find anything for a front locker so my guess is you at least need the rear locker first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd also like to know if anyone has any new info on this topic. I have a 2007 V10 that I'm turning into an overlander with center and rear lockers and I'd love to complete it with a front locker.

Side note, once I start this crazy project (most likely summer of 2021, because $$$$$), I will be posting everything here on club touareg in a new thread with lots of photos :cool:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m pretty confident a front locker doesn’t exist, it was one of the many scrapped features of the early Touareg project. If somehow a few examples were actually produced, they’re incredibly rare and you would have to purchase one of those examples. All my parts researching through ETKA, the FSM, and various German/Russian sites indicates it was merely an idea, like the disconnecting front sway bar.

I would love to be wrong.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
771 Posts
There was one with the front locker for sale here many years ago. It was a USA car. I remember the owner did not know what he had and was made aware when he posted pictures of his interior.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Was the front diff actually confirmed, or did people just see the dash knob?

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
771 Posts
I don’t remember, you can search the for sale adds and look...

it is a option, was on a number of early Touaregs overseas along with the disconnecting front sway bar.

not much call for it now as I have a complete locking Rear differential conversion and there is not much interest in the conversion. And I am selling it for cheap!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to swap a rear locker into my V8 and then try to make the front work (already have the switch for front locker). But i ended up buying a pretty sweet V10. I have spent all my time swapping my nice V8 parts into the V10. I got as far as wiring up the factory rear locker stuff from a parts car i had. I have confirmed that it is working with the rear but i only have a V8 rear locking diff right now so i can't drive with it. The first V10 locking diff i ordered was "lost" by UPS only a few miles from my house... I just ordered another today. It is really hard finding a locker since they are so poorly advertised/labeled by salvage yards. I also was taking apart my V10 engine to fix some small oil leaks and found that my cams are slightly worn so i ordered some Colt Cams for it on Jan. 2nd. I am still waiting on them. Apparently the place i ordered them from has been playing phone tag with Colt since last month. I am really getting sick of it being down for so long and having to drive my V8 treg everyday. I did notice that when looking up part numbers for the transfercase computer there are part numbers for 'center locking' 'rear locking' and 'front locking'. The transfercase computer is a master and the rear locking computer is a slave. So if you are using a transfercase computer from one without a rear locker it will not let you use the rear locker even when wired up. The one from my parts car has the number for center, rear, and front. So i guess that is a good start.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
771 Posts
If you are interested I have a new locking rear differential still in the VW pallet box. May have to use Greyhound for shipping as it is heavy and would cost a lot to ship FedEx freight. Have everything else for the conversation also...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If i would have know you had one i would have hit you up. If this one gets "lost" again i will let you know. I still can't understand how you lose a 83lb chunk of steel but find the packaging from it, stupid UPS.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
771 Posts
If i would have know you had one i would have hit you up. If this one gets "lost" again i will let you know. I still can't understand how you lose a 83lb chunk of steel but find the packaging from it, stupid UPS.
It probably was poorly packaged. A box really won’t work for shipping. A wood crate needs to be made. Something that heavy and small will get tossed and rolled during shipping. That is the main reason I don’t sell much stuff as it really is a lot of trouble to package heavy items to a point where they won’t be damaged during shipping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It was shipped by a large salvage yard that i have purchased a few things from before including an engine. Most likely it was shipped in a wooden crate. I think a UPS employee just didn't want to deliver it since it made it all the way to the point of being loaded on a truck for delivery. I wish i could have done a walk though of the UPS site since i'm sure it would be easy to find.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've found myself going down a Touareg rabbit hole again... It's happened every night this week. And while I'm supposed to be working. And while I'm supposed to be sleeping. YouTube, Google searches, eBay, etc. I've just bought a 2006 V10 from a user on ClubTouareg, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet, so the interwebs are the only way that I can connect with this new-to-me beast so far. I'll be retiring my 2004 V8 shortly after I get the new goodies home.

I ran across something that may be worthwhile.

Now my sources on this are just eBay listings but there may be some merit. There is some overlap in the interchange on this part, 0BM409505M, a front differential from a 7P Touareg, between a VW Amarok and the 7P. The diff looks strikingly similar to the diffs in our 7L Touaregs. Rebuild kits for this differential seem to confirm the compatibility with the same overlap of interchange.

Stay with me, here.

ARB makes an air locker that supposedly fits the front IFS differential on a 2010-on VW Amarok. Is it AT ALL possible that we could use this air locker in our front diffs on a 7L??? Of course we would have to use our specific gearing's ring and pinion, i.e. swap from our current carrier to the new one along with output shafts and flanges, maybe change some bearings, etc. I also notice that the 7P/Amarok diff doesn't have an input flange, just a splined input shaft. Maybe this could also mean that we could simply install the air locker into our current pumpkins? Hell, if you have air suspension you already have a source of compressed air to activate the locker.

Ok I'm done, go ahead and poke all sorts of holes in my theory. Or tell me I may be on to something...

References:

Air locker:

Diff listing:

Rebuild kit:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I've found myself going down a Touareg rabbit hole again... It's happened every night this week. And while I'm supposed to be working. And while I'm supposed to be sleeping. YouTube, Google searches, eBay, etc. I've just bought a 2006 V10 from a user on ClubTouareg, but haven't gotten my hands on it yet, so the interwebs are the only way that I can connect with this new-to-me beast so far. I'll be retiring my 2004 V8 shortly after I get the new goodies home.

I ran across something that may be worthwhile.

Now my sources on this are just eBay listings but there may be some merit. There is some overlap in the interchange on this part, 0BM409505M, a front differential from a 7P Touareg, between a VW Amarok and the 7P. The diff looks strikingly similar to the diffs in our 7L Touaregs. Rebuild kits for this differential seem to confirm the compatibility with the same overlap of interchange.

Stay with me, here.

ARB makes an air locker that supposedly fits the front IFS differential on a 2010-on VW Amarok. Is it AT ALL possible that we could use this air locker in our front diffs on a 7L??? Of course we would have to use our specific gearing's ring and pinion, i.e. swap from our current carrier to the new one along with output shafts and flanges, maybe change some bearings, etc. I also notice that the 7P/Amarok diff doesn't have an input flange, just a splined input shaft. Maybe this could also mean that we could simply install the air locker into our current pumpkins? Hell, if you have air suspension you already have a source of compressed air to activate the locker.

Ok I'm done, go ahead and poke all sorts of holes in my theory. Or tell me I may be on to something...

References:

Air locker:

Diff listing:

Rebuild kit:
thank you for the effort you have don for researching all this, i have center and rear diff locks on my V8 05, front lock would be amazing to have, once i asked about OEM factory fitted option front locker on facebook group and few guys said they have ot on their touareg and i was begging them to post photo or the video of it but non of them did so it makes me think they were full of sh***** i have good friends in local VW dealer but they could not tell me exact part number for front diff with lock, if the amarok and 7L touareg frond diffs are sme and we can confirm that it means ARB locker will be 99% good for us, fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
just contacted ARB, explained the situation so maybe they can help anyhow :) lets see what they will answer

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
i have been transferred to international team in ARB as im not located in Australia hope to see response soon from ARB

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Not the answer I was expecting from them, after this I explained that if they will test fit Amarok air locker they make on touareg front diff they will end up with new product line for touregs and cayennes without any afford, hope they will answer to that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

21 - 40 of 48 Posts