·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised. My MFD and radio display both have a diff symbol on the front axle as well as the rear. I always wondered why there was a symbol for the front axle diff since there was no locker there.

Good luck finding one. A google search of the P/N only shows the website that you posted screenshots of, I think.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gentlemen. I have owned this car for 8 years and I am still discovering new stuff!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Noooo!!!

Now there's another thing I can lust after... :- (

What market got these???

I wonder if you'd have to replace the front 1/2 shafts, too? The rear 1/2 shafts are different for the locked diff vs. the open diff, IIRC.

This would be so awesome to have!!!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Noooo!!!

Now there's another thing I can lust after... :- (

What market got these???

I wonder if you'd have to replace the front 1/2 shafts, too? The rear 1/2 shafts are different for the locked diff vs. the open diff, IIRC.

This would be so awesome to have!!!

Hey
The drive shafts are the same for both locked and non locking diffs provided they come from the same engine configurations.
e.g. the V10 have a bigger drive flange than the V8,V6 etc. so there is a difference there but other wise the same.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What market got these???
Nobody knows. That is German's top secret information. Even guys from Langley are helpless.
The centre differential is designed as a planetary gear differential, front and rear differentials are also mechanical. As the regulations prohibit any form of electronic control all three differentials have viscous locking capabilities.
People managed to found this How to build a Dakar Winner - Racecar Engineering
I am incredibly proud, R5 engine... :)

·
Learner
4,821 Posts
Looking forward to triple locking diffs on your Touareg Stu :)

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
41 Posts
hedditch,

The part number is real. I believe Mr. Timofeevich is the registered member here.
its a shot in the dark BUT once the switch is installed has anyone checked VCDS for a potential coding option for enabling front diff lock when the switch is turned to the front/center/rear icon (could be there and no one knows since know one has looked?)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is front lock enabled via brakes rather than in mechanical way like rear? I cannot think of any other way considering a) I could not find any wiring diagram in ELSA for front diff and b) I could not find any picture of the front diff with the electric motor to enable the lock (like it is done for central and rear).
If you don't have a locking front diff, EDL is used, which applies the brakes to the side thats spinning.

I did find this in ETKA:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Surely if this vehicle was going to be more of a legend than it is already (maybe thats just with Treg nuts like us) VW would have produced the Touareg vehicle standard with lockers all round like the Merc G Wagon has all of it life ... and maybe offer a "city" dweller option of only centre diff.

Isnt over engineering in this last era of vehicles where it should have been at ?

very unhappy now ................... although i knew it was coming given the MFD does allude to the fact in its visual locking diagram that some vehicles have more than one diff.

Anyway what i have is enough so the MORE in me can just ..... miss out

1 - 20 of 48 Posts