Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Maine!

My really rare '95 Toyota Land Cruiser with factory lockers had about 127,000 miles on it, when I sold it a week or two back. (Lockers + solid rear windows + cloth, with the interior as new.) I'd planned on keeping it -- bought it in South Dakota for SNOW -- and had put new running boards on it, as the originals had shown rust. But after only one year, those inferior new ones began to show rust on the outside edges, too. I didn't mind an old car, mind you, especially one this clean -- I could trust this one to take me anywhere! -- but I couldn't mind a rusty one. So, the search began. It turned out to be a very brief search.

My husband had had an '80's era Audi turbo-quatro which is where I'd first learned about locking differentials and 30 mpg mileage. (On the interstate at 80 mph, it was like you were barely moving.) Just had to have them. So, after realizing that no new Toyota would work -- I'm all legs, and couldn't fit behind the steering wheel, and didn't want another "truck" -- it was to the Audi dealer.
Only, when told they didn't make them with locking differentials anymore, I started looking at the smaller Tiguan. (Too much of a change. Poor crash ratings. Felt vulnerable.) But didn't understand why the larger, similar-looking (they were both white w/tan) Touareg cost so much more. (Didn't like the Q7, and didn't fit in the Allroad.) When home with a Tiguan brochure, but had to look up learning about the Touareg on the internet.

It had lockers!!! There was an off-road "switch"! Suddenly, I was riveted. Researching more, I found many YouTube videos (following) that had me sold: Alaska in the snow; pulling a bus on an icy hill; going thru 22" of water; running around in the forest mud; and handling crevices...; etc.). Maine was much more civilized than South Dakota. This would be just the thing:

1. Off-road review (my favorite):

2. Off-road:

3. Pulling a moving van:

4. Alaska in snow:

5. In 22" of water:

6. Muddy forest:

7. R-line Diesel Road Test:

8. Dirty off-road review:

9. All season vs. winter tires:

10. VW's "Not Dirty" video (can do "if"!):

... and imagine 765 miles on a single tank? ... and that beautiful tan interior and panoramic sunroof? (White/tan was non-negotiable.) ... and rear legroom to boot?

Seeing IS believing... I was sold. A fellow Maine ex-FJ80 owner (and "ih8mud"-er), Mike, who I'd met at the local Toyota dealer and who was helping me find the appropriate buyer for my "classic", told me:

"It'll do everything that the Land Cruiser can do with the exception of the most extreme conditions." "It's perfect for Maine." .... Now, I knew, as a widow and as a senior, I was doing the right thing...

Turns out, my husband loved German and diesel. (And I'm half German.) A "German Jeep" would be great. We'd bought a Born Free diesel motorhome, once, with double tanks that took us everywhere. Suddenly, the extra price for both the "engineering" and "diesel" made perfect sense. (And it had super crash testing, too. So, I didn't need to worry over that vulnerability anymore, either.) All I'd wanted to do was take a step down from the Land Cruiser's size. Would have to break the piggy-bank. The Touareg would be the perfect thing.

Then, it came to swapping out the tires. The Pirelli Scorpion Verdes might be green, but they had lousy ratings, suddenly, for even wet roads. So, the search was on. As I'd had trials of Michelin, Dunlops (only 30,000 miles!), as well as Pirellis on the Land Cruiser, with the latter going since '08 -- I only drive about 5,000 miles/year -- the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice seemed like just the answer.

Sadly, with a "search", I wasn't able to find anything on clubtouareg to help with the tires. The simplest things would be to take the dealer's $75/tire credit and allow them to order them from TireRack for me... None of that swapping out tires twice yearly for me...

... and I wasn't able to find much help on clubtouareg, either, with which hitch cover pin lock to get. All the reviews seemed so lousy, while the one I'd had on my Land Cruiser was gone!

Now, all the shopping is done. It's just to wait for all the "accessories" I've ordered and my vanity plate to arrive. Soon, it'll all be put together. Now, it's time to really understand these forums and the User Manual...

In the end, I bought the '14, and got about $6K under the MSRP sticker, just as I'd done with the Land Cruiser that time. I feel like I got a really good deal and the perfect vehicle for my needs: A '14 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel) LUX. I'm happy to share my joy with other Touareg lovers.

Best,
Linda

PS A truck came to haul the FJ80 away. Imagine. It was on to its second life. Mike, now in PA, had connections with both a PA shop, there, that did all kinds of off-roaders updates for buyers from all over the world, as well as another who taught off-roading to world-wide users. Both of those fellows offered me $7,500 for my "dream find", "one-owner" "bone stock", "beautifully maintained" sight unseen... Finally, it was gonna be so easy... And we got a foot of snow this past weekend...

I knew the day would come when I'd have to get another vehicle. I just feel blessed that the right machine was there when I needed it. Hooray for Touareg!

(And apparently, too, the timing was right. I think I heard that, starting with '15, the air suspension will be back, but it will be part of an off-road "package" which I'm sure might have made the car mostly unpractical, and with the troublesome (?) air suspension totally unnecessary (for my needs).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Greetings from Maine! My really rare '95 Toyota Land Cruiser with factory lockers had about 127,000 miles on it, when I sold it a week or two back. (Lockers + solid rear windows + cloth, with the interior as new.) I'd planned on keeping it -- bought it in South Dakota for SNOW -- and had put new running boards on it, as the originals had shown rust. But after only one year, those inferior new ones began to show rust on the outside edges, too. I didn't mind an old car, mind you, especially one this clean -- I could trust this one to take me anywhere! -- but I couldn't mind a rusty one. So, the search began. It turned out to be a very brief search. My husband had had an '80's era Audi turbo-quatro which is where I'd first learned about locking differentials and 30 mpg mileage. (On the interstate at 80 mph, it was like you were barely moving.) Just had to have them. So, after realizing that no new Toyota would work -- I'm all legs, and couldn't fit behind the steering wheel, and didn't want another "truck" -- it was to the Audi dealer. Only, when told they didn't make them with locking differentials anymore, I started looking at the smaller Tiguan. (Too much of a change. Poor crash ratings. Felt vulnerable.) But didn't understand why the larger, similar-looking (they were both white w/tan) Touareg cost so much more. (Didn't like the Q7, and didn't fit in the Allroad.) When home with a Tiguan brochure, but had to look up learning about the Touareg on the internet. It had lockers!!! There was an off-road "switch"! Suddenly, I was riveted. Researching more, I found many YouTube videos (following) that had me sold: Alaska in the snow; pulling a bus on an icy hill; going thru 22" of water; running around in the forest mud; and handling crevices...; etc.). Maine was much more civilized than South Dakota. This would be just the thing: 1. Off-road review (my favorite): 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Colorado Rocky Mountain Off-Road Review - YouTube 2. Off-road: Volkswagen Touareg Off oad 4x4 2N17 - 4 of 6 - YouTube 3. Pulling a moving van: Touareg pulls strapped truck! - YouTube 4. Alaska in snow: VW Touareg Snow Action Uphill Performance Alaska - YouTube 5. In 22" of water: Volkswagen Touareg in 33" Deep Mud Pit - YouTube 6. Muddy forest: Volkswagen Touareg offroad - YouTube 7. R-line Diesel Road Test: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI R-Line Test Drive & Diesel SUV Video Review - YouTube 8. Dirty off-road review: 2014 Volkswagen Touareg TDI Dirty Off-Road Review on Everyman Driver - YouTube 9. All season vs. winter tires: Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice - YouTube 10. VW's "Not Dirty" video (can do "if"!): Volkswagen Touareg "Not Dirty" (DE) - YouTube ... and imagine 765 miles on a single tank? ... and that beautiful tan interior and panoramic sunroof? (White/tan was non-negotiable.) ... and rear legroom to boot? Seeing IS believing... I was sold. A fellow Maine ex-FJ80 owner (and "ih8mud"-er), Mike, who I'd met at the local Toyota dealer and who was helping me find the appropriate buyer for my "classic", told me: "It'll do everything that the Land Cruiser can do with the exception of the most extreme conditions." "It's perfect for Maine." .... Now, I knew, as a widow and as a senior, I was doing the right thing... Turns out, my husband loved German and diesel. (And I'm half German.) A "German Jeep" would be great. We'd bought a Born Free diesel motorhome, once, with double tanks that took us everywhere. Suddenly, the extra price for both the "engineering" and "diesel" made perfect sense. (And it had super crash testing, too. So, I didn't need to worry over that vulnerability anymore, either.) All I'd wanted to do was take a step down from the Land Cruiser's size. Would have to break the piggy-bank. The Touareg would be the perfect thing. Then, it came to swapping out the tires. The Pirelli Scorpion Verdes might be green, but they had lousy ratings, suddenly, for even wet roads. So, the search was on. As I'd had trials of Michelin, Dunlops (only 30,000 miles!), as well as Pirellis on the Land Cruiser, with the latter going since '08 -- I only drive about 5,000 miles/year -- the Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice seemed like just the answer. Sadly, with a "search", I wasn't able to find anything on clubtouareg to help with the tires. The simplest things would be to take the dealer's $75/tire credit and allow them to order them from TireRack for me... None of that swapping out tires twice yearly for me... ... and I wasn't able to find much help on clubtouareg, either, with which hitch cover pin lock to get. All the reviews seemed so lousy, while the one I'd had on my Land Cruiser was gone! Now, all the shopping is done. It's just to wait for all the "accessories" I've ordered and my vanity plate to arrive. Soon, it'll all be put together. Now, it's time to really understand these forums and the User Manual... In the end, I bought the '14, and got about $6K under the MSRP sticker, just as I'd done with the Land Cruiser that time. I feel like I got a really good deal and the perfect vehicle for my needs: A '14 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel) LUX. I'm happy to share my joy with other Touareg lovers. Best, Linda PS A truck came to haul the FJ80 away. Imagine. It was on to its second life. Mike, now in PA, had connections with both a PA shop, there, that did all kinds of off-roaders updates for buyers from all over the world, as well as another who taught off-roading to world-wide users. Both of those fellows offered me $7,500 for my "dream find", "one-owner" "bone stock", "beautifully maintained" sight unseen... Finally, it was gonna be so easy... And we got a foot of snow this past weekend... I knew the day would come when I'd have to get another vehicle. I just feel blessed that the right machine was there when I needed it. Hooray for Touareg! (And apparently, too, the timing was right. I think I heard that, starting with '15, the air suspension will be back, but it will be part of an off-road "package" which I'm sure might have made the car mostly unpractical, and with the troublesome (?) air suspension totally unnecessary (for my needs).
Well welcome Linda and wow, just wow, don't know what else to say

Except for, hope you love it

Paul

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
you sound excited !!! .... shouldnt wear off !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Odessa! Sydney! Thank you! :) Ohmygosh. I AM! I actually GRIEVED when the Land Cruiser left after twenty years. This new one is my BABY! A brand new chapter...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Best first post ever I think [apart, perhaps, from Frex whose post showed how he stripped down a V10 engine!].

The US doesn't/won't get air suspension so you haven't missed out on that.

The only thing I'd say is, how is your 5,000 miles per annum made up? If it is lots of short city/town runs, that doesn't suit a diesel at all. If it's good highway runs, forget I mentioned it.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
yep bet you feel spoilt !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, noobytoogy. Thank you for your comment! How nice to say my first post was good. It seems I am highly communicative and LOVE sharing...

So, you say the US won't get the air suspension at all? You you "away"? All I ever heard about that was that it had had too many troublesome repairs. So, it wasn't included in the '14 US model. (Research on '15 models, though, had video of one going WAAAY up and down....

And, yup, the 5K miles wouldn't be so good if all local. In SD, they were all highway miles. Living in the middle of the state meant three hours one direction to the big city of Sioux Falls or 4 hours the other to Rapid City. (Chamberlain had only 1,200 souls.) But in Maine, so far, it's mostly be local. However, I live near Bangor in the center of the state. An if my future opens, as I plan it too, it'll mean several hours eastward to some great paddling (too expensive for the Land Cruiser if twice weekly) or runs west to the Capital or south to the coast at about 60 to 90 minutes.

Funny thing is, though, I got it with a full tank. And, one-quarter tank down, I've only done 200 miles. So, I'd say that's doing pretty good?

Thanks again for your most kind welcome and comment... (Forums are new to me.) :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The air suspension on the T1s and T2s was no more troublesome than other air suspended vehicles but it was never offered on the T3 from 2011 in the US.

The T3 was significantly de-contented from the T1 and T2 in order to reduce weight and improve emissions and mpg, and there's no change in that respect in the new T4 appearing in the US in Q1 2015.

The video you have seen may well show air suspension which will be offered in some markets, but not the US; it might have even shown the Escape model with the T1/T2 type low range box, but it is not offered in the US; it may also have shown the V8 Tdi, but that too is not offered in the US!

The paucity of specification/option offerings in the US market really hacks off some of the existing T1 and T2 owners since they want those features for their new T3/T4 to be comparable with their now ageing T1/T2, but VW has demonstrated time and again that, unlike Range Rover, it just doesn't understand the premium 4x4 market and denies potential US customers options it offers elsewhere and, quite often, in very small markets such as, for example, Korea!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, noobytoogy. Researching only the '14, the T1, T2 & T3 categories were all new to me, entering these forums. I believe the Touareg started in '04 with another change in '07, maybe? And T3 might be called a "newer" style, beginning in '11, where the air suspension was permanently dropped... ... with your saying there's even a new T4 with the '15? (It's markedly different?)

(It's the same with coming to understand the most treasured FJ80s was for Land Cruisers between '94 (?) and '97? I didn't come to know the "code" until just thinking about listing it.)

It sounds like what you're saying is that the air suspension has never been allowed in the USA after '11? If so, my dealer wasn't straight with me.

Here's the '15 graphic video (beginning) where I saw the air suspension. From the license plate, I never thought about it not being a USA car:
. It seemed like the changes (besides an off-road "package" is that it's a wider and maybe shorter car.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You've worked out our informal T1/T2/T3/T4 nomenclature. The all new T5 arrives in 2017.

FYI, as far as VW is concerned there is only the T1 from launch to 2010 ["our" T1 and T2]; the T2 is the current model ["our" T3] including the facelift ["our" T4] now being produced in Europe; and "our" T5 in 2017 will be regarded by VW as the T3! Simple, eh?!

Yes, that video is of a German pre-production T4 Escape with air and low range box, the goodies the US won't be getting.

Dimensions haven't changed and it's not that different to your T3.

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
Linda, welcome to the Club Touareg and hopefully you will enjoy your new ride. That being said, your dealer was not straight up with you. Your '14 does not have locking diffs nor do you have a low range transfer case like was in your FJ. If you wanted all that you should have looked for an older one with these features on. Those missing items is why I won't be looking at another Touareg until they allow us to order with it again. The air suspension is not as bad as what you may have read about. '10 was the last year you could get a Touareg with low range and air suspension. I have one of those models and plan on hanging onto it for a long while. You should be very impressed with the mileage though and it will be a good two vehicle too. Just don't plan on putting it through the same off road driving you did in you FJ. The 3.0 TDI is an awesome motor and I love it in my '10.

As Nooby said most of those videos you saw were of Touaregs with features not sold here in NA. There are quite a few of us that are disappointed there is no longer air suspension of low range available anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.