Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently had the folding mirrors stop working consistently, until they finally gave up the ghost. I hit up VW, they wanted $600 for the base (which includes the failing/failed motor). So I tried the usual Jaycar, Repco, AutoOne, with no luck. The winner was ebay. These motors are used in most euro cars (Audi/Merc/BMW), though I still had to pay $20 for a $6 part. Still, it's better than the VW option. Anyways, here are the part numbers and some pics.
The biggest pain in the arse is getting the compression on the spring, which a pair of pliers and some zip ties make easy work of and the smaller zip tie you can get away with the better, as it makes it easier to get them out. The mirror pops out easy enough, just be warned that in the process of removing it, the alignment track for the electric adjustment can dislodge from behind. It can only be fixed with the mirror and casing removed..
Hope this helps and save you a few bucks...

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,471 Posts
Great job. Always good to see owners finding ways to save $$ on repairs and sharing the process.
IMO the folding mirrors are usefull for some situations but I very rarely fold them and have the option to have them fold when the vehicle is locked disabled in the MMI menu.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I understand. Unfortunately around Sydney, parking is tight and as a moto rider, it's always nice to know you're seen when splitting and the simple process of dragging the mirrors in and giving a rider that bit of extra space, shares the love...

I love the wealth of info on here. You lads and ladies are epic!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently had the folding mirrors stop working consistently, until they finally gave up the ghost. I hit up VW, they wanted $600 for the base (which includes the failing/failed motor). So I tried the usual Jaycar, Repco, AutoOne, with no luck. The winner was ebay. These motors are used in most euro cars (Audi/Merc/BMW), though I still had to pay $20 for a $6 part. Still, it's better than the VW option. Anyways, here are the part numbers and some pics.
The biggest pain in the arse is getting the compression on the spring, which a pair of pliers and some zip ties make easy work of and the smaller zip tie you can get away with the better, as it makes it easier to get them out. The mirror pops out easy enough, just be warned that in the process of removing it, the alignment track for the electric adjustment can dislodge from behind. It can only be fixed with the mirror and casing removed..
Hope this helps and save you a few bucks...

View attachment 238424

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm in western NSW and don't have the Sydney traffic issues but would like the mirrors to be fully functional. I'm not positive the "fold" motor is at fault but with my ear on the driver's side mirror, I can hear a noise indicating power to the mirror when the switch is activated - but no folding action. All other functions (adjustment, heating, turn indicators & puddle light) are operational. The passenger's side mirror is fully functional.
Back to the non folding RHS mirror - looking at your pics, the mirror is dismantled from the outside of the vehicle. To minimise my chance of breaking any of the clip connectors, I would greatly appreciate a step by step procedure to remove the mirror glass and separate the plastic housing, (I could only imagine the cost of replacing any part of the mirror housing body).
Thank you in anticipation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had this happen to me too passenger, passenger side mirror just didn't unfold one morning... very unfortunate, and vw quoted me $840 for the mirror assembly before labor........ for a feature that only works when locking the doors this is absolutely ridicules. has anyone figured out a way to just lock out the mirror so its steady and doesn't wobble? I could care less if my power mirrors don't work, at least not for $800 plus my time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is this the correct motor?

will be attempting this as driver's side mirror wont fold out anymore. The passenger is ok though for now
I'm pretty sure that's the right motor, I was going to try this out but ended up wiggling with wires on the motor until it worked and just turned the feature off so it won't get stuck again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the right motor, I was going to try this out but ended up wiggling with wires on the motor until it worked and just turned the feature off so it won't get stuck again
Did switching out the motor work for you?

I have almost the exact same issue. My passenger side mirror stopped unfolding most of the time .I would have to play with the switch for ages to get it out. Then the passenger side started working fine but a couple of weeks later the driver side stopped folding out. That was a month ago and it's still not working, so I have the wobbly driver side mirror all the time. Like others on here I don't want to pay the dealer a grand for what is likely a very small electrical issue. Any advice on how you fixed your would be great?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never changed the motor or anything I just removed the mirror glass and took apart the mirror housing to get to the motor wires (I think they were white and yellow), then I wiggled the wires while hitting the fold toggle so the mirror would funcrion and be in the unfolded position and never touched it again, but I assume the wires have a bad solder joint connection in the motor itself. The only way to fix it for cheap is find the Ali express or wish mirror motor and replace, if not VW wants $600CAD for the mirror base only...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts