Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fogged up the interior of my car in cold weather this winter. Now whenever the car is left over night there is frost (think enough that you can't see through it) on the interior of the windows, mainly the windshield and it ends up taking a while to de-frost in the morning. It's just a pain because I'm really not one to leave my car running for 15 minutes to de-frost. Once it's de-frosted it's usually gone for the day but when temperature's hit extreme colds overnight the frost returns by morning. Is there any method to get rid of the interior frost that you guys would recommend?

Thanks

(2010 TDI)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd start by changing the pollen/cabin filter if its not been done recently.

I'd check for moisture in/under the carpet whilst doing so to make sure the drainage channels from the area below the windscreen are not blocked. These drain out through the rear of the front wheel arches.

If these drains are blocked they can screw up your electrics too and this is costly to correct. See recents posts on this problem.

Then I'd check for moisture in the spare wheel well -this can be a sign the drainage channels from the roof via the tailgate strut openings are blocked.

There are how-tos on this site and at www.mytreg.com if you need to clear the drains.

Do you habe the air conditioning on to help clear the condensation? If not, you should. It's a common problem and many leave the aircon on all the time to combat it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I'd start by changing the pollen/cabin filter if its not been done recently.

I'd check for moisture in/under the carpet whilst doing so to make sure the drainage channels from the area below the windscreen are not blocked. These drain out through the rear of the front wheel arches.

If these drains are blocked they can screw up your electrics too and this is costly to correct. See recents posts on this problem.

Then I'd check for moisture in the spare wheel well -this can be a sign the drainage channels from the roof via the tailgate strut openings are blocked.

There are how-tos on this site and at www.mytreg.com if you need to clear the drains.

Do you habe the air conditioning on to help clear the condensation? If not, you should. It's a common problem and many leave the aircon on all the time to combat it.
Great link for the plugged drains, here is the thread that he was referring to

Water Ingress in Bulkhead/Footwell - Step By Step Guide - myTreg forums

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have some moisture built up in my car from leaving the sunroof open, and have been using one of these to remove it.

Dri-Z-Air Dehumidifiers: Dri-Z-Air removes excess moisture from the air Made in USA

You can get it at Canadian Tire

Thanks, I think this may do the trick! In the summer I noticed my Treg would fog up fairly easily, not that it bothered me, just kept the AC on like others have mentioned. During the day the car doesn't frost up, just overnight is when it seems to happen. I keep the climate control on AUTO the majority of the time so the AC is always on, even in winter.

I'll try out this dehumidifier and see if that does the trick, otherwise I'll look into changing the filters, drain plugs etc. It's only just over 6 months old, but maybe it's due.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
I stand corrected, thanx NorthVan

Great write-up. I guess no difference between T1 and T2s?

siberian

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry, hadn't noticed the car is so new. None of the things I posted should apply this early but you shouldn't have condensation inside the car if the aircon is on so much, so it's worth checking the carpets and boot for moisture asap. You really shouldn't need a dehumidifier to fix this!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A bowl of salt left in the car over night will remove moisture in the air and it will soak it up and will leave the car nice and dry
I really like this 'old skool' tip, thanks! Seems the easiest remedy.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It sounds like the AC isn't running... do you have the climate control system in "Auto".. and if not, are you turing off the AC?.... if you are, leave it on... all the time. The AC (even with you have the temp on 80) should keep your car nice and dry inside.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AC and Auto are on while driving, car is fine while running, just happens overnight in extreme cold.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got a bowl of Himalayan table salt (that's all I had, hope it works the same), sitting on the centre console of the Treg right now. Guess I'll see what the result is in the morning.

·
Banned
7,167 Posts
AC and Auto are on while driving, car is fine while running, just happens overnight in extreme cold.
Salt is an excellent band aid German recommended to you, but it won't be the cure. There is a source for the humidity. Question now is to pinpoint it, and annihilate.

Troubleshooting it, first thing I would do as soon as I shut down the engine and all electronics, is to seal up all the vents around the windshield, vents on front of dash, and vents on floor including rear floor with food plastic cling wrap. If the fogged up windows return in the morning, then you should move on to under the carpets front and rear. Automobile carpeting can be dry to the touch on top, but still an underground lake lurking below.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Salt is an excellent band aid German recommended to you, but it won't be the cure. There is a source for the humidity. Question now is to pinpoint it, and annihilate.

Troubleshooting it, first thing I would do as soon as I shut down the engine and all electronics, is to seal up all the vents around the windshield, vents on front of dash, and vents on floor including rear floor with food plastic cling wrap. If the fogged up windows return in the morning, then you should move on to under the carpets front and rear.
Thought about where the source could be and why. You mentioned carpets and I was immediately reminded of my Monster mats. Without checking I think it must be the Monster mats. I get in the truck with snow on my boots, the snow melts off of my boots while driving due to the interior warm of the vehicle and pools in the Monster mats. Whereas carpet may dry, I think it would require longer, prolonged heat to evaporate water from the mats. Since my drive to work now is only about 2 minutes/3km (maybe I should walk) there's probably not enough time to evaporate the water and so it pools in the mats all week.
I drove to Ottawa and back this weekend from the Ottawa Valley (about 200km each way) and didn't have frosted windows this morning so the heat/AC use from the drive must have evaporated any water/moisture in the vehicle. Does this make sense? Now, how to prevent it... Drive the Treg more!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bowl of salt trick works! WOW, thanks German. Saves me the awkwardness of trying to use a ice scrapper on the inside of the windshield haha
Zero frost on the windshield or other windows this morning. It wasn't too cold, about -12 last night, but normally there would be at least some frost. Didn't have time to take the bowl of salt out this morning so I'm driving around it today, can't hurt soak up some of the moisture.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Had a TR7 year's ago and it had a leak and when it was repaired we had this problem but a guy I worked with told me about the salt but remmber it will only soak up so much and then you can put it on your fish and chips is this not a great green idea ha! ha! ha!

·
My God,it's full of stars
5,765 Posts
Check out RV accessories, there's stuff you can buy (dehydrators) that will take care of that and are reusable. Save the Tibetan stuff for your Yak butter :cool:

siberian

1 - 20 of 24 Posts