Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to change appearance of my 2004 V8 fog lamps.
Simply change the light bulbs or get a cap/cover?
Wondering if anyone has suggestions/photos of what they did/prefer?

Also how to install would be great!
PICS STRONGLY PREFFERED as I am a visual person

Thanks everyone, glad to be a Touareg Noobie!

-Jordan

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have used the Ziza 3k yellow bulbs from ECS Tuning with great results. It is just a bulb swap... Nice contrast with my 6k HID low beams. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Check out Xenonsupply as they make some pretty good HID kits and actually have real people working there if you need warranty assistance. HID kits are almost as cheap as bulbs these days anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HID put out about 2-3x more light than halogen. I tried HID in fog lights before and the extra foreground light actually makes it harder to see into the distance at night IMO. It makes sense scientifically, since our eyes can only see a limited range of contrast. For example, you can see pretty well in a somewhat dark room. But if you sit next to a desk lamp in the same room, you can only effectively see what is directly illuminated by the lamp. The bright light from the lamp ruins your night vision, thus you can't see the darker areas very well.

The HID fogs also kinda gave me a headache if I drove at night with them on for too long, I don't know why lol.

·
Registered
688 Posts
One reason I did not go the HID route for foglights is the limited space in that location. I would be a pain to mount the ballast and wiring to it... much easier just to replace the bulb. The look is still very nice and the output if just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone, I will be making a decision this weekend and will report back with specs/photos...cheers!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I have just retrofitted fogs into my 08 V6 TDI and should have a pair of 3000 K lamps to go in tomorrow.. Was thinking of the HID routes ,but have to agree with magrider..

Stuart..

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just grabbed some yellow protection film from xpel.com or laminx.com (can't remember which) and installed it along with clear headlight film. Permanent yellow fogs :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try hoen bulbs. German engineered. Very quality stuff I had them in my fogs and not only were they really bright(55 watt by the wat) but the color was a very nice yellow which matched perfect with HID blue. They will give you that nice "euro" look. About $50 if you're wondering about the price . Sorry no pics

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hoen Xenon match halogen bulbs are what I am using for my high beams. Agree, very nice quality. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep I got xenonmatch on my Benz. In all my searches, this one gets you the closest HID look for a bulb. FYI to the author of this thread, the one you would get is hoen endurance

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you want the yellow look on the cheap, nokya hyper yellow also works. The bulbs are cheaply made but for ~$20 a pair you can't beat the price. I have them installed on my Passat. Wanted to get a pair on the Treg too but the wife threatened me with bodily harm if I messed with "her" car. :rolleyes:

The sunlight tends to wash out the yellow in the pic, but the light is definitely yellow and quite similar to a 3000k hid bulb. If you look at the minor apparent difference between the amber turn signal and the fogs, you get an idea of how yellow the bulb actually is.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts