Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2010 VW Touareg V6 TDI CATA
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

So I decided to tackle the coolant flush on my T2 2010 V6 TDI. Here in the States we have VW 50/50 premix called G40. It's the same thing as G12++ but it's premixed.
I got the beast up on stands to give me clearance, pulled the lower radiator hose and drained. I then used about 5 gallons (20L) of distilled water to flush.

Here was my process:
1. Pull hose and drain.
2. Reconnect hose
3. Top off with distilled water
4. Run engine for a few minutes
5. Pull hose and drain.

I did this until I wasn't seeing much pink color from the old coolant. I then started to pour in the new coolant. I repeated this process until the color was the same pink as the new coolant (I put a sample in a clear cup for reference). I also tested the new coolant in the engine and it was spot on.

Also to note, as I ran the engine between drains, I turned on the heater full blast inside the cabin to open up the thermostat. I've heard this does nothing for Touaregs but I did it anyway.

Result:
1. Temperature holds steady,
2. Cabin gets nice and warm
3. Drove it around, the level is good, and temperature is perfect.

Here's what's odd:

1. So I've been having a raw exhaust smell in the cabin for the past few months. Took it in under warranty and they found out it had a few leaking injector seals and exhaust manifold gasket. They replaced a bunch of parts and the smell was all but gone. After changing the coolant, the smell can't be detected at all.
2. I usually go out and warm up the beast before work especially in winter. I've always wondered why it produces so much vapor coming out of the exhaust while warming up. With this new coolant change, there's not much vapor while warming up.
3. The exhaust always had particular smell. I guess you distinguish it by the AdBlue processing it was going through. Definitely a lot more moist even when hot. Now the exhaust is hotter, drier, and smells a lot more like a diesel. Although it does have a bit of a "burning rubber" smell detected in it.
4. I'm now getting a message on the dash to check AdBlue. This isn't the same as the mileage countdown you get when you're do for an AdBlue fill up. It just says Check AdBlue :rolleyes:
5. Last thing to note, as I was under the car I had to disconnect the passenger side intercooler connection to give me access to the hoses. A few cups of oily sludge came out. I researched this on the forum and people are saying it could be an issue with the turbo and some say it's normal.

Any ideas or thoughts on all this would be appreciated

Nate

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Well if you are getting an AdBlue alert and your exhaust smells like diesel, it makes sense... Adblue kills the diesel scent.

· Registered
2010 VW Touareg V6 TDI CATA
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well if you are getting an AdBlue alert and your exhaust smells like diesel, it makes sense... Adblue kills the diesel scent.
Thanks. It all seems great now. I think the system might have just had air in it and the EGR cooler might not have had enough coolant or something. Seems/smells fine now.

Working on Touaregs will give you anxiety and grey hair. It's such a fine tuned system and you sometimes don't know what's going on...

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Lol glad to hear all is well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.